Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA
You shouldn't game on these. People need to stop posting this every time new models come out and then complain about their burnt out GPUs. Apple is partly to blame for promoting gaming benchmarks.

Completely to blame. They list gaming right next to video editing as a feature of performance. Don't tout gaming performance if the thing can't handle gaming (speaking of thermals, and not choice of GPU).

TazmoStarkana

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2016
2016 MBP is still very new so it will take time to "get out there" First and foremost the MBP is not designed with gaming in mind, a point worth considering. It`s designed to be the best most portable platform for FCPX etc. Safe to say it will be a little better than the 2015`s, equally it`s not going challenge gaming laptops, that`s not it`s purpose.

Q-6
What does FCPX mean?

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Safe to say it will be a little better than the 2015`s, equally it`s not going challenge gaming laptops, that`s not it`s purpose.

It kind of depends what gaming laptops we are talking about. The majority of currently sold gaming laptops are still based on 950M/960M, and the Pro 460 in the MBP performs as well or better than the 960M. In DX12/Vulkan games, its performance approaches the 965M.
[doublepost=1480161749][/doublepost]
In the video I posted, the guy says he has a completely maxed out 15". I was wondering, does the CPU have any effect on gameplay? I ask because I plan on getting one with the 460 GPU but lower end CPU, and I just wanted to know if it makes any difference.

The video you posted is misleading at best (to pick the most neutral phrasing I can). The guy picks games and situations which bring high-end gaming PCs to their knees. The Mafia 3 results are really good for a laptop. As a comparison: desktop GTX 1060 on medium settings full HD gets around 50 fps. Thats a 120W desktop card. The MBP manages around 20-25 fps with comparable settings, despite having a TDP 3.5 times lower (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mafia-3-Notebook-and-Desktop-Benchmarks.180328.0.html)

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
It kind of depends what gaming laptops we are talking about. The majority of currently sold gaming laptops are still based on 950M/960M, and the Pro 460 in the MBP performs as well or better than the 960M. In DX12/Vulkan games, its performance approaches the 965M.

Not where I live, min would be 960M, moving to up to the new 10 series. MBP is a decent portable, equally not the best at everything despite you personal feelings. Shop close to my home already has gaming notebooks with the 1070 dGPU, if people want to game more seriously PC is the obvious way to go.

Q-6

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Not where I live, min would be 960M, moving to up to the new 10 series. MBP is a decent portable, equally not the best at everything despite you personal feelings. Shop close to my home already has gaming notebooks with the 1070 dGPU, if people want to game more seriously PC is the obvious way to go.

Oh, I am certainly not arguing with that! My point was that that the MBP can compete with budget gaming laptops which makes is more then suitable for some casual gaming. Of course a dedicated gaming laptop will be better, no questions.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Oh, I am certainly not arguing with that! My point was that that the MBP can compete with budget gaming laptops which makes is more then suitable for some casual gaming. Of course a dedicated gaming laptop will be better, no questions.

Definitely, I only buy hardware these days with work in mind, equally it`s nice be able to play the odd game when time allows. Am playing Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light on a Surface Book currently and can pull that off pretty well. Problem with Mac`s and gaming is little is optimised from the titles to the drivers. seen it for myself where game swill run far better under Windows with comparable, if not lesser hardware. If I really wanted to throw AAA games on to my 34" LG I would just build a cheap PC with the hardware required.

Some reviewers are being upfront about he 2016 15" MBP gaming capabilities, equally some are distorting the facts for little more than "click bait" my own opinion is that of anyone is looking at the MPB specifically with gaming in mind they are "barking up the wrong tree"

Q-6

ccozmo

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
so coming from a 2012 macbook pro, the graphics are great for what I use. I play Diablo 3 sometimes & on 1920x1080 settings looks decent and is butter smooth ...not even fans kicking in like the old one

Reactions: SRTM

SRTM

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2011
yea the fans are super quiet (edit: nvm they can run pretty loud during gaming).
I've installed league and diablo 3 but havent played them yet.

Question: Is it true that the dGPU will only be used if the power cord is plugged in? So if its not plugged in then only the iGPU will be used?

Last edited:

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Definitely, I only buy hardware these days with work in mind, equally it`s nice be able to play the odd game when time allows. Am playing Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light on a Surface Book currently and can pull that off pretty well. Problem with Mac`s and gaming is little is optimised from the titles to the drivers. seen it for myself where game swill run far better under Windows with comparable, if not lesser hardware. If I really wanted to throw AAA games on to my 34" LG I would just build a cheap PC with the hardware required.

Some reviewers are being upfront about he 2016 15" MBP gaming capabilities, equally some are distorting the facts for little more than "click bait" my own opinion is that of anyone is looking at the MPB specifically with gaming in mind they are "barking up the wrong tree"

Q-6
I see a lot of people asking about this, but I would argue it isn't because they would only buy it for gaming... it would just be nice for it to allow for med-high settings on most newer games in the off chance we chose to play one of them.

My main concern is 3D apps and design. I generally (somewhat incorrectly) judge 3D design potential by how the computer will perform on games.

New_Mac_Smell

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2016
Shanghai
I see a lot of people asking about this, but I would argue it isn't because they would only buy it for gaming... it would just be nice for it to allow for med-high settings on most newer games in the off chance we chose to play one of them.

My main concern is 3D apps and design. I generally (somewhat incorrectly) judge 3D design potential by how the computer will perform on games.

3D design uses the CPU for rendering, GPU for viewport/RT Rendering. Definitely incorrect to use 3D design potential for how it would perform in games. Also Mac's aren't great for 3D Design applications, which is largely dominated by 3DS Max.

tongefactor40

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
3D design uses the CPU for rendering, GPU for viewport/RT Rendering. Definitely incorrect to use 3D design potential for how it would perform in games. Also Mac's aren't great for 3D Design applications, which is largely dominated by 3DS Max.

I am not talking about actual rendering - Vray, etc. (i use my work computer for that and just leave it alone to do its thing) but I would agree that it is an intensive CPU process. What I am referring to is simply working/interacting/navigating a model in Revit or Sketchup. Most laptops struggle with giant models to a degree, but I noticed a substantial difference between my current 970m machine and my previous m370x.

I use the 3d apps exclusively on Bootcamp - which is good, but I would agree... macOS it isn't as good ( imo mostly because there are so few software options).

Ultimately, I just want the internal graphics to be "good enough" to get through a work day so that I can go home and plug in an egpu to game with.

SRTM

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2011
15", 2.7/512/460

Just tested Diablo 3 at 1080p, high settings, AA enabled.
Ran pretty smooth, but the fans were pretty much at max. How do you check the FPS?
I tried higher resolutions, and it ran pretty well without too much trouble... 4k was a bit slow obviously. But 1080p seems to be the sweet spot. You cant really notice the graphics looking much better at higher resolutions honestly..
The colours and contrast on the macbooks screen look so nice in this game..

League can play whatever you throw at it! It wanted me to set the resolution to 4k, but you can barely see the HUD.

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4

Really I think the same, if I wanted a dedicated gaming portable I would just buy one. For me it`s business first for my portables.

Q-6

Last edited:
Reactions: MH01

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I ran some heaven benchmarks between max 2015 and 2016 460, about 5 FPS difference , not much in it.

If you want to game get a laptop with a 1060 or 1070.... the 460 is a poor GPU

Though happy to run some tests for you.
[doublepost=1480199629][/doublepost]
Sorry, but this is an absolutely unqualified post. Of course, you can play on these quite well. I just played CIV 5 on that notebook, and it works very well without any problems. Anyhow, I wonder if it can also make CIV6.

And as you should also know, games do not burn graphics processors. Typically, there are safeguards build into a processor.

So, please, stop to post such nonsense.

Yes and no.

No CPU or GPU will die when pushed , it will throttle to preserve itself . Though prolonged high heat over time in such confined designs ....does its damage over time.

I only speak from experience , I've killed 2 MacBooks pros , one PowerBook and one iMac gaming , within AppleCare period , after getting the replacements and and not gaming on them
, they have not missed a beat.

The one watercooled PC I built , has been faultless ....heat and electronics are not a great mix in my experience .

Reactions: Queen6

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
I have. Cranked it all the way up and it works reasonably well. I do have the 15inch 2.9 GHZ with radeon 460 model though. Didn't delve deep into the game. My 2010 MacBook used to be able to run it (somewhat)

For that matter, my 2015 MacBook Air 1.6 with 8gb Ram runs it just fine too. Of course, it's at 1400x900 and settings are all at medium except Texture Resolution at High, and Shadows off. Getting 95fps and it looks great and runs without a stutter. Caveat: I don't raid so can't speak to those heavy requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.