Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I am selling my gaming rig because I would like to have a laptop and leopard, but at the same time I like to game. So I may get the 15 inch mbp (cheapest version), but after reading several threads about this computer, I have a couple of questions. Call of duty 4 would be pretty much the only game I would play. How well could this computer handle this game, specifically the gpu? Also I would most likely buy one by sept. 15th with or with out the new revision. So I guess when it comes down too it, how likely is it for apple to release a new revision of the mbp by sept. 15th? Thanks for the help.

p.s. I really want the 32 gig touch (I am a college student and that is when the deal ends).

iSpoody 1243

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2008
Australia
omg why don't you just give the guy an answer instead of telling him to search, my god

you would be best to wait for the sept revision, it will bring a faster gpu, also this gens gpu has a few issues with overheating blah blah blah

and the macbook pro runs every game at its native resolution with med to hig settings.
so don't worry about it being underpowered,

also moving from a gaming rig to a macbook pro for gaming isn't something i would recommend, but if you aint obsessed wit playing games at super high res with all settings on very high, you should be fine,

i would say getting a more stable and newer macbook pro is better than getting a macbook pro and an ipod touch that will both be outdated before the month is out.

hope this helps

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
omg why don't you just give the guy an answer instead of telling him to search, my god

you would be best to wait for the sept revision, it will bring a faster gpu, also this gens gpu has a few issues with overheating blah blah blah

and the macbook pro runs every game at its native resolution with med to hig settings.
so don't worry about it being underpowered,

also moving from a gaming rig to a macbook pro for gaming isn't something i would recommend, but if you aint obsessed wit playing games at super high res with all settings on very high, you should be fine,

i would say getting a more stable and newer macbook pro is better than getting a macbook pro and an ipod touch that will both be outdated before the month is out.

hope this helps

Thanks for the info. I guess i will wait for the September revision to come out. and i am moving from a gaming rig to a macbook because i want portability especially if i am going to do a semester abroad. also my parents may be moving to another state no were near with in driving distance of my college so a macbook pro would be the way to go. although, in a year or so i may build another gaming rig, and then just find a way to keep it there at some ones house during breaks or something. but thanks for the info.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
The 8600 GT isn't a bad card, especially at the lower resolutions lappy's run. So go for it, especially if you'll be getting the new MBP which will probably have the 9600 GT.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
The current MBP is not a good gaming laptop. Don't think of the MacBook Pro as a pro computer at all, it's a kind of super-portable hybrid, it's obsession with thinness makes it extremely hard handle even the current components without getting very hot, meaning that the next MacBook Pros, if following in the same vain, will also have a fairly mundane GPU.

Then again if you're like me and you want a portable and can never bring yourself to buy a PC, what choice do you have?

I go with the MBP by default but it's still a product plagued by ridiculous design choices and a very very poor performance/price ratio.

MusicallySilent

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
It isn't designed to be a gaming laptop, however it isn't horrible with games.

However, watch out for the heat, you wont be playing any games on your Lap, especially if you want children ;0

pillow1313

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 9, 2008
I know its not great with games. but i like osx too much to get a actual "gaming" laptop, since they will be heavy and not have leopard (legally). i will wait until the mbp is re-released hopefully it will have a better design and depending on what the specs and price are i may have to get a xp/vista laptop.

if by spetember 15th nothing new has been released i will most likely get a different laptop. and hope that it doesnt come out with in a day of getting a different system.

Yixian

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2007
Europe
I know its not great with games. but i like osx too much to get a actual "gaming" laptop, since they will be heavy and not have leopard (legally). i will wait until the mbp is re-released hopefully it will have a better design and depending on what the specs and price are i may have to get a xp/vista laptop.

if by spetember 15th nothing new has been released i will most likely get a different laptop. and hope that it doesnt come out with in a day of getting a different system.

Yep, I agree with you 100% completely EXACTLY.

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I love my MBP for all my gaming needs. Quake Wars, Doom 3, KOTOR, and soon CoD4

I play all of these games on maximum settings, and expect CoD4 to run very well. If your looking at a Mac, the MBP is a very nice computer.

And if you want to do the windows gaming, it runs very nice in windows as well. Don't fall into the trap that it will not run games very well, because it does. Of course, it will not run games as well as a great PC desktop system does, but we all know that.

Standard

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Canada
The current MBP is not a good gaming laptop. Don't think of the MacBook Pro as a pro computer at all, it's a kind of super-portable hybrid, it's obsession with thinness makes it extremely hard handle even the current components without getting very hot, meaning that the next MacBook Pros, if following in the same vain, will also have a fairly mundane GPU.

Then again if you're like me and you want a portable and can never bring yourself to buy a PC, what choice do you have?

I go with the MBP by default but it's still a product plagued by ridiculous design choices and a very very poor performance/price ratio.

I have Crysis running on ultra high with an average of 33fps on the current generation base MacBook Pro. These machines are capable of running all the latest games, you just need to spend time tweaking them.

Fabiano

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Palmas, Brazil
I have Crysis running on ultra high with an average of 33fps on the current generation base MacBook Pro. These machines are capable of running all the latest games, you just need to spend time tweaking them.

you are lying! no way can a MBP run Crysis on Ultra high! I dont believe you.

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
England
Haven't you heard about all of the issues with the GPU in the Macbook Pro?

I have one, and it died after doing some gaming. Had it for six months, and had been playing Portal, Half Life 2 and some other games on a regular basis, and it just fried the GPU, even with SMC fan control putting the fans up to 6000RPM.

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
my 17" MBP (see sig) absolutely annihilates COD4 on high settings spend a little more and see the benefits!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.