Gap on top of Jet Black 7plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by levels, Sep 26, 2016.

1. levels macrumors member

So I finally received my Jetblack 256gb 7plus through the upgrade program. First, just to say, the color/feel is even better in person than any pictures can show.. but that's a separate discussion.

My only issue is, which is easy for me to notice since I don't use a case, is that the top seam(where the metal connects to the rubber seam) has a little bit more of a gap than I saw on my 6s plus. This seems to be throughout the top part and maybe halfway down the sides. I can already start to see a little dust building up there... not the biggest issue in the world, but also a bit annoying for people who don't want to use a case. Has anybody else noticed this so far? I'm wondering if it's partially due to the waterproofing using slightly different closures. To give an idea- I can basically run a corner of a piece of paper through the seam, where as my old one it would be much more difficult to do that.

2. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I thought the jet black color was supposed to be "seamless" tho? LOL

Nah but if you have any uncertainty just take it to the Apple Store and let em look at it.

3. levels thread starter macrumors member

Def going to bring it to the apple store... just wanted to see if anybody else noticed this, whether it's the Jet Black, or any other color?

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Pics might be helpful. It sounds like some huge gap but I have seen people explain something in ways that made a mountain out of a molehill. Based on your deription alone something is amiss.

5. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

6. levels thread starter macrumors member

Ah thanks for this, tried searching for a topic but didn't see this one. I mean it's def not the end of the world- and I'm assuming if you use a case you prob will never notice- but for people who don't use a case you can definitely tell.

7. levels thread starter macrumors member

Don't have access to take pictures right now, will try to add later.

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That link talks about "fluff" getting stuck in the antenna bands. Are people actually talking about the gap between the screen and the body?

From link:
    [​IMG]
    "Fluffy gets stuck in the antenna bands on the back, which you probably wouldn’t notice on a silver phone, but sticks out like a sore thumb on back. Photograph: Samuel Gibbs for the Guardian"

9. levels thread starter macrumors member

Yeah that article is referencing something different (which i've also noticed but thats really not a big deal at all).. this is gap between the screen and the body.. def bigger than the 6s plus had and you can see visible fluff getting in there

10. Howyalikdemapls macrumors 6502

I didn't notice the article was talking about something different. The other post on MR seems to be referring to the same issue though "seal between the glass and aluminum frame... on the top side of the display."

I've definitely read about it in a few places here on MR though.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The gap on my JB is consistent throughout so my guess is you got one with a subpar build quality (if it is larger at the top than the bottom).

Sounds like the seal is bigger on all 7/7+ relative to 6/6+ series in order to make them IP67-rated against water ingress.

12. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

I thought Jet Black was supposed to be "seamless," no gaps...thought the phone is supposed to look like one whole body...I thought you're not supposed to tell where the glass and aluminum meet, etc. LOL

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's a bit of an exaggeration because it still wouldn't be "seamless" even if they make it exactly like the iPhone 6s. Only the antenna bands on the JB are seamless for the most part.

14. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

Hmm...that's not what Jony Ive said. LOL. He said one truly uninterrupted form. A gap is an interruption.

Beautiful phone, but they'll get it right next year.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Like he doesn't exaggerate.

16. MacTechnics macrumors 6502

He better get to work on re-designing next year's phone lol