Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ripfrankwhite

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2005
Is gapless only for the new iPods? I have a 3G that I LOVE and it would be nice to have gapless. Anyone know about this? Thanks.

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
vega07 said:
sorry for being such a noob, but what is gapless playback?

In older versions of iTunes, when you play an album where all the tracks are perfectly mixed in together, there would be an ever so slight gap or pause between songs - often completely ruining the flow and rhythm.

Now its completely seamless from one song to another.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
TMA said:
In older versions of iTunes, when you play an album where all the tracks are perfectly mixed in together, there would be an ever so slight gap or pause between songs - often completely ruining the flow and rhythm.

Now its completely seamless from one song to another.

OHHH...I see. There was a Yo-Yo Ma cd I bought that I thought was weird because it seemed like the ending of the song matched with the beginning of another song.

Only some albums are like this right?

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
TMA said:
Yes its built into iTunes. I've tested it and it works very nicely.
what about an update for the current 5Gs that are out there. i just bought one 2 months ago. Will this be upgradable?

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
mkrishnan said:
So is gapless on iTunes itself better? It already had the feature.

iTunes never had gapless before, it just had overlap which could fade one song into another. That's completely different to gapless.

Rend It

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2003
United States
Sky Blue said:
yes, new ipods only.

How do you know this for sure? The gapless feature seems to be a function of iTunes, so doesn't that mean the songs are just re-encoded to merge together when played w/o shuffle? I guess I will know for sure when I update all my gapless albums in iTunes, and then update my 3rd gen iPod. I will report back later, unless someone beats me to it. :D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
TMA said:
iTunes never had gapless before, it just had overlap which could fade one song into another. That's completely different to gapless.

Oh, I'm sorry about that. I thought for some reason it did. Mine's been set for crossfade forever.... :eek:

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Yeah I used to have my cross fade on at the lowest setting which helped a little. But gapless is a huge improvement, at least to my ears.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
AtHomeBoy_2000 said:
what about an update for the current 5Gs that are out there. i just bought one 2 months ago. Will this be upgradable?

I've got gapless playback on my 5G with the iPod update. I'm in heaven!

Edot

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2002
NJ
Actually iTunes already had something like it. I believe you were able to join tracks from a cd when importing so that they would import into one song. It wasn't a very well known feature, and is probably still there. Now that there is gapless it probably won't be used much anymore.

Danny Futuro

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2006
No gapless on 1g nano's, but I have yet to see any hint of an updater for the nano firmware so lets hope an update will come and give us gapless playback.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Edot said:
Actually iTunes already had something like it. I believe you were able to join tracks from a cd when importing so that they would import into one song. It wasn't a very well known feature, and is probably still there. Now that there is gapless it probably won't be used much anymore.

This definitely sounds familiar...but it was such a trade-off....

I think this will be a nice minor improvement for playing mix tapes and live recordings and things like that. :)

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
YAY!

I've been waiting for this for so long. The majority of the albums I own are mixed. I am so happy about this I almost cried when Steve said it! I couldn't contain myself.

It's a completely software thing, so hopefully all the older generation iPods will support it!

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
Hmm I'm still waiting for an update to my nano to allow this... I'll be pretty upset if it doesn't happen, as a lot of my albums are mixed!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.