iPhone 8(+) Gaps in iPhone glass

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ThatiPhoneKid, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatiPhoneKid, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018

ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

hi,

I am mailing my iPhone in to Apple under warranty as the back glass has gaps in the seams, between the metal and the glass, this is due to no fault of my own and has been like this for 6 months since out of the box, anyway do you think apple will repair, replace or refund the device?

Thanks

https://m.imgur.com/a/fwt41jp
    https://imgur.com/7StRmHH Here are photos

2. ILowry82 macrumors 6502

From my experience they will most likely return the device unfixed. They are hesitant to repair or exchange devices with "cosmetic defects".

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Yep, if within normal manufacturing tolerances and it does not affect the use of the device, they will return it just the way it is.

4. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I spoke to the Apple staff member on live chat support I sent them images and they said that it could effect the water resistance so states it will either be repaired or replaced

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just remember that the person you talked to will not be the person who will receive your phone and make the decision. They very well might replace or repair, but there is a good chance they will not.

Keep us posted and let us know.

6. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

What will they do if they receive it and don’t notice the defects

7. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Well, did they ask you to send it in for something? I would imagine that's the "something" that they would do. If they can't do it for some reason, then they will perhaps offer other options. Each case is essentially unique so there's no way to say what actually will happen here or there.

8. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I’m just freaking out, so scared they are going to make me keep it in the state it is

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

They would return it to you.

10. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok thanks, I just wanted to say thanks for always replying to my questions, you always really help me out so thanks! :)

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I hope is works out like you want it too.

Have a great weekend.

12. Relentless Power, May 12, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Right, we already know that. However, the representative can also make notes about what they told the customer in the work order number, especially if you request it. Many times I have talked with representatives and they document specifics about the iPhone when they talk to the customer about specific issues with the Apple product. If they told the customer it will be replaced or repaired, especially if they believe it will affect the water resistance, it will be either or.

13. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

If they asked you to send it in after you showed them the issue. Why wouldn't they replace it or at least do something? Why tell the costumer to send it in in the first place? Unless they asked you to send it in for another validation then I would understand. I would be furious if they did nothing after they tell me to send it in.

14. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

The one thing they will not do is refund.

If the gaps are abnormal, then they may either repair or replace - that's their choice.
    If the gaps are normal, then they'll send it back, un-repaired.

They won't repair/replace cosmetic defects that have no effect on the functioning of the device (like a minor blemish in the finish). However, because of the water-resistant seal, an abnormal gap is not likely to be considered a cosmetic defect.

15. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    Why did you wait six months to do something about this? It would have been better to have taken the iPhone in right away to the Apple store, have someone look at it there, and then they would do whatever they felt necessary.

17. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

i couldn’t be bothered tbh

18. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

But now you are freaking out that they may make you keep it as is?

I looked at the photo, but didn't see anything that made me think it was defective

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Honestly, those “Gaps” are questionable. I don’t see the issue here. You seem like you are over analyzing. I’m not saying they won’t replace/repair the iPhone, but being you waited six months, Clearly this was not a priority to you, until now.

20. ThatiPhoneKid, May 12, 2018

ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tbh I am sending my iPad in for repair as the home button has become loose so I thought why not try to get the back glass fixed on my iPhone, the gaps are more noticeable in real life than the photos, if I can get it fixed I’ll be happy if I can’t then I’ll live with it, I’ll be happier knowing the technicians thoughts on these gaps
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2018 ---
    Here’s an image of the bottom gap https://imgur.com/7StRmHH

21. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If it were serious, you should have done something about it day one. You have had the phone in that state for 6 months.

22. tl01 macrumors 68020

Are these the gaps you are speaking of?

Attached Files:

23. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yours actually doesn’t have gaps if you saw mine irl you’d be like oh, they are really prominent irl

24. tl01 macrumors 68020

0976F7D8-6A5D-4E7F-9669-2C5304279804.jpeg
    Funny...you can’t see my phone IRL but you can decide mine looks better than yours. Lol.

Anyway, one side of my phone looks totally different than the other..:but it isn’t something I would call a defect. I can’t see prominent gaps on your phone.

25. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well we will see what Apple have to say, that’s why I’m sending it to find out if it’s normal or not, if it is normal then cool they’ll send me my phone back
    --- Post Merged, May 12, 2018 ---

https://imgur.com/a/5p57X5Q
    The first image I have circled the gap between the metal and the glass, in the second image I have circled where you can see part of the phone where there is no gap, is this how yours looks? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.