Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Here?

Attachments

• 1126E745-A1F4-4494-B593-561E7A742751.png
    1126E745-A1F4-4494-B593-561E7A742751.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 293
Reactions: ThatiPhoneKid

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I'd be curious to hear from recent 8/8+ purchasers if this is still a common QC issue or if this was mainly a problem just with early builds.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I'd be curious to hear from recent 8/8+ purchasers if this is still a common QC issue or if this was mainly a problem just with early builds.
I got mine pretty early, I’m hopeing Apple will still replace since I’ve had it 6 months already

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Do you have AppleCare+? If so just drop it on a kerb a few times until the back glass and camera are munted then pay 100 bucks for a replacement. It’s not a cosmetic issue when it’s munted.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Do you have AppleCare+? If so just drop it on a kerb a few times until the back glass and camera are munted then pay 100 bucks for a replacement. It’s not a cosmetic issue when it’s munted.

I don’t! I wished I did though, I’m getting really anxious now, I have just been reading through similar threads from back in September when people received there phones with gaps in and they was able to get them replaced, I really hope I still can and they don’t think I have caused this due to having it for over 6 months, thanks for your reply!

adamhunteratc

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2016
I have a gap like this at the top of the front glass. I got my phone about two weeks ago (iP8/SG/64).

The gap itself doesn’t really bother me. But it collects dust and dirt like crazy, and that drives me nuts. I’m also concerned about the integrity of the IP67 rating. I have a Genius appointment set for Thursday. We’ll see how it goes.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I have a gap like this at the top of the front glass. I got my phone about two weeks ago (iP8/SG/64).

The gap itself doesn’t really bother me. But it collects dust and dirt like crazy, and that drives me nuts. I’m also concerned about the integrity of the IP67 rating. I have a Genius appointment set for Thursday. We’ll see how it goes.
Hopefully I should get mine sorted by Thursday, let me know how you get on! :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

The Theory others seem to believe, that earlier models typically have more hardware issues when they first launch, compared to when production starts to slow down and then phones seem to have rectified some of the problems that were found early on due to high volume numbers being produced. For the sake of those who are extremely particular about their iPhones or other products, some hold off until after the initial rush to make their purchase.

Reactions: blairian89

blairian89

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2016
Texas

Yes! Let’s purposefully damage an item and then make a fraudulent insurance claim! What could go wrong?!

Yes, I know people do this. Yes, it is still fraud.
[doublepost=1526195825][/doublepost]To the OP,

I cannot see anything wrong with your phone. As long as the seal between the frame and the glass is intact, your phone is sealed. There is always a gap between the glass and the body - it is not a one piece, seamless device. The adhesive between the panels and the frames is what seals the device from the elements.

IP67 rating is only valid on properly constructed, new devices. Seals break down and fail; most older phones will not have the same resistance as newer models.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Just spoke to Apple in another live chat and they said it’s definetly not normal and looks to be covered by my warranty, and once they receive the phone I should be issued with a repair or replacement.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just spoke to Apple in another live chat and they said it’s definetly not normal and looks to be covered by my warranty, and once they receive the phone I should be issued with a repair or replacement.

Two things:

1.) Live chat agents are nothing more than representatives that would work in the store level, but they are actually are _not_ technicians or Genius trained. They can’t cannot always give an answer in repairs in most cases, no matter how many different opinions you keep seeking.

2.) They likely Won’t repair it. They will just issue you a replacement warranty device. It saves on labor costs and its easier to issue a replacement device, which has significantly less turn-around time for the customer.

Last edited:

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Two things:

1.) Live chat agents are nothing more than representatives that would work in the store level, but they are actually are _not_ technicians or Genius trained. They can’t cannot always give an answer in repairs in most cases, no matter how many different opinions you keep seeking.

2.) They likely Won’t repair it. They will just issue you a replacement warranty device. It saves on labor costs and its easier to issue a replacement device, which has significantly less turn-around time for the customer.

Thanks for your reply, I would be very happy with a replacement device, I asked on the live chat also if I get a replacement will it be brand new, they said yes, is this correct? Thanks again

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks for your reply, I would be very happy with a replacement device, I asked on the live chat also if I get a replacement will it be brand new, they said yes, is this correct? Thanks again

I’m not sure their interpretation of what they consider ‘new’. Replacement iPhones can be considered ‘like new’ that arrive in a white box without any accessories, but it’s possible it may have been previously used. Apples replacement devices have been thoroughly inspected, which usually includes a new battery, display and outer casing. What I would do when you do receive a replacement device, assuming that’s what they choose to do, is inspect it for any issues.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I’m not sure their interpretation of what they consider ‘new’. Replacement iPhones can be considered ‘like new’ that arrive in a white box without any accessories, but it’s possible it may have been previously used. Apples replacement devices have been thoroughly inspected, which usually includes a new battery, display and outer casing. What I would do when you do receive a replacement device, assuming that’s what they choose to do, is inspect it for any issues.

Thanks for the heads up, if I do get a replacement device I will definetly inspect it now, thanks for your help and advice!

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
The Theory others seem to believe, that earlier models typically have more hardware issues when they first launch, compared to when production starts to slow down and then phones seem to have rectified some of the problems that were found early on due to high volume numbers being produced. For the sake of those who are extremely particular about their iPhones or other products, some hold off until after the initial rush to make their purchase.

Yeah I'm not sure if I've ever bought this idea myself. I've always bought launch day phones and never had any issues (all of them have been keepers), but with something like this glass gap issue, what could they really do to tweak the assembly line in the middle of production? They would literally have to shrink the aluminum band a fraction or increase the glass size a fraction, neither of which I see happening because both would require entire new tooling. I suppose they could try harder to center the glass so the gap is smaller/more uniform, but I don't know.

It will likely be refurbished, meaning all the exterior parts you can physically touch will be brand new (as well as the battery). The innards like the logic board etc., may be recycled from other defective devices that were returned to Apple. For all intents and purposes it will be just the same as a new phone. Some people will come in here saying refurbs undergo stricter quality control than new devices and are therefore better, but I don't buy it; I imagine Apple puts the same amount of QC into both new and refurbished and would state as such if asked.

Reactions: 44267547

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
I have
Yeah I'm not sure if I've ever bought this idea myself. I've always bought launch day phones and never had any issues (all of them have been keepers), but with something like this glass gap issue, what could they really do to tweak the assembly line in the middle of production? They would literally have to shrink the aluminum band a fraction or increase the glass size a fraction, neither of which I see happening because both would require entire new tooling. I suppose they could try harder to center the glass so the gap is smaller/more uniform, but I don't know.

It will likely be refurbished, meaning all the exterior parts you can physically touch will be brand new (as well as the battery). The innards like the logic board etc., may be recycled from other defective devices that were returned to Apple. For all intents and purposes it will be just the same as a new phone. Some people will come in here saying refurbs undergo stricter quality control than new devices and are therefore better, but I don't buy it; I imagine Apple puts the same amount of QC into both new and refurbished and would state as such if asked.

My mail in box has been dispatched and should arrive either tomorrow or the next day, then I can finally get the ball rolling! Thanks for your helpful replies also :)
[doublepost=1526226444][/doublepost]If they determine that the gap is normal will I have to pay a fee for them checking it over?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010

So you sent off your phone, but asked the live chat if it is normal? Isn’t the whole purpose of sending off your phone to see if it is normal? Let them figure it out. I recommend finding something to do with your time until your phone returns.

They don’t usually give you a new phone, you get a refurb that looks like new and your won’t be able to tell the difference. I have had a zillion of them.

All these questions about what will Apple do....are speculation and don’t really shed any light on anything. No one knows until you actually get your phone back.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
So you sent off your phone, but asked the live chat if it is normal? Isn’t the whole purpose of sending off your phone to see if it is normal? Let them figure it out. I recommend finding something to do with your time until your phone returns.

They don’t usually give you a new phone, you get a refurb that looks like new and your won’t be able to tell the difference. I have had a zillion of them.

All these questions about what will Apple do....are speculation and don’t really shed any light on anything. No one knows until you actually get your phone back.

Sorry, I’m so impatient lol, I’ll let you guys know how I get on

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Just want to add that apple replaced my iPhone 6 cause it pulled hair from my beard. The gap wasn't big or anything. It just pulled my hair for some reason. The real reason I went to the apple store was because I had the crescent moon issue on my front camera. I did not get a replacement for that as it didn't affect the camera. No issues with the replacement 6 or 7 and 8.

ThatiPhoneKid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2017
Just want to add that apple replaced my iPhone 6 cause it pulled hair from my beard. The gap wasn't big or anything. It just pulled my hair for some reason. The real reason I went to the apple store was because I had the crescent moon issue on my front camera. I did not get a replacement for that as it didn't affect the camera. No issues with the replacement 6 or 7 and 8.

Thanks for your reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.