MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple has posed GarageBand Update to Mac OS X's Software Update control panel:

GarageBand 1.1 addresses isolated performance and stability issues, allows per-track Echo settings similar to other effects, supports loop libraries in other disk locations, supports importing unprotected AAC audio files in addition to AIF and MP3 files, and addresses issues with ReWire support, moving GarageBand songs between different computers, Help support, fixing the timing of individual notes (as well as entire regions), and dragging entire tracks in the timeline.

The update is 37.2 MB.

captain kirk

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2003
UK
I hope this improves the performance, I can't get more than four tracks at a time running smoothly on my 12" powerbook rev a

Comment

captain kirk

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2003
UK
I wish I could download the update, for some reason i have been unable to download from apple.com all afternoon. I need the ipod software update and it hasn't let me do it. Now even software update is not downloading :mad:

The strangest thing is that I have been downloading fine from most other places.

Comment

cjc343

macrumors 6502
think about it... it had to be distributed on DVD... last I knew, OS updates were on CD... the average update to the OS is 20-80 Mb...

40 isn't all that bad....

Hopefully this will increase the number of tracks I can play at one time....

Comment

Savage Henry

macrumors 65816
captain kirk said:
I hope this improves the performance, I can't get more than four tracks at a time running smoothly on my 12" powerbook rev a

Yeah, mine too. Good app, but it it had a sort of ants-in-ya-pants glitchyness to it that relegated it to the second division of desktop applications.

Hopefully this will smooth it out a bit.

Comment

LEgregius

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2003
Virginia
captain kirk said:
I wish I could download the update, for some reason i have been unable to download from apple.com all afternoon. I need the ipod software update and it hasn't let me do it. Now even software update is not downloading :mad:

The strangest thing is that I have been downloading fine from most other places.

Are you in china? :D

Comment

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
I just got my new PowerBook on Friday, I have been playing with GB for the first time today, but it seems to have some performance issues, even on my new PowerBook. I hope this will sort them.

Comment

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
I thought everything went smoothly with the update but when I loaded it up I got this:

PART OF THE SONG WAS NOT PLAYED
This song has too many tracks, effects, or notes to be played in real-time.
To optimize performance, see the 'Optimizing GarageBand performance' page in GarageBand Help.

I can't get it to stop this, before the update this song worked flawlessly...Any suggestions?

Comment

captain kirk

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2003
UK
LEgregius said:
Are you in china? :D
LOL, No England, I think my problem may have been caused by the great firewall of my linksys wireless router rather than the great firewall of china. I had to reset my cable modem earlier today so maybe when it reassigned the ip address to the router the routers firewall was activated??????

The same thing has been happening on my windows desktop.
Sorry to go further off topic but I could use some advice. I am visiting boston next week and want to go see a red sox game. Is it advisable to pre book tickets or am I ok just turning up???

Comment

captain kirk

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2003
UK
jet3004 said:
I thought everything went smoothly with the update but when I loaded it up I got this:

To optimize performance, see the 'Optimizing GarageBand performance' page in GarageBand Help.

I can't get it to stop this, before the update this song worked flawlessly...Any suggestions?

More RAM

Comment

t300

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2004
captain kirk said:

No...No...Noooo...It was working perfectly with the exact same tracks and such all day...I left for 2 hours, came back, found the update, installed it...and VIOLA! I get those messages...

Comment

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Savage Henry said:
Yeah, mine too. Good app, but it it had a sort of ants-in-ya-pants glitchyness to it that relegated it to the second division of desktop applications.

Hopefully this will smooth it out a bit.

i constantly get "system overload" messages on mine. Of course, I don't really know how to proficiently use GB yet (i cant import an AAC or MP3, but i can use loops :D), but I'm working on it. This update looks like it will helps some of my problems. :D

Comment

Squire

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2003
Canada
jet3004 said:

I've had that problem only once before. I was playing a song and, at one point, the song got pretty busy- 12 tracks or so all at once. Then I got that message. I think I was running a few other programs, too.

By the way, when you people complain about the performance, what exactly is the problem? Is it that the playhead (is that what it's called?) is not in exact sync with the audio? I only have a 1 GHz iMac and that's the only problem I've experienced with GB. And a minor one at that, if you ask me. Am I just lucky?

Squire

Comment

Matt T.

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2003
Simple Performance Booster

For those having CPU problems (I bet most but the G5'ers among us), I have found the following to be important:
1. Turn off the "Show Master Track" option (command-b). This is the level/pan display for each track. The drawing of the tracks seems to take up around 25% of the CPU with many of the tunes I do.
2. If you're really tight, you can also hide Garage Band for an additonal boost (it doesn't have to draw the main levels indicator).

I use GarageBand to play along with things in iTunes (like Aebersold recordings, etc.), and I find that hiding GarageBand or turning off the Master Tracks view gives me more overhead.

I assume this "trick" is well documented, but many writers to this thread seem to be worried about this issue in particular.

GarageBand is a fantastic app but it is a hog! Let's hope that version 2 lightens the load...

Comment

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
Anybody know what the "issues" were regarding the ReWire support... or how they resolved them? There was a technote but it was withdrawn, or something... ReWire sounded pretty good to me, but if there were "issues" I hope they didn't resolve them by disabling it.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.