Garage Band shorts out speakers. ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SPNarwhal, Apr 15, 2010.

1. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Pretty much every time I use Garage Band, it eventually shorts out my speakers. It begins to just crackle, any time I try to do something it will just crackle.
    It happens all at once, and any time i hit play or pause it crackles. Any time I adjust volume up or down, crackle. I put the laptop into sleep mode, crackle.

I've brought it to Apple and they said that this is a software issue and nothing is wrong with my laptop and that this happens on any mac.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    If that's true, then why the hell haven't they fixed this issue yet?
    It's not as if Garage Band is a new program of theirs.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

What external hardware do you use with garageband? (JamLab by chance?)

3. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I don't use anything with Garage Band,
    just Garage Band. It's pretty much the main thing I use my Macbook Pro for.

It happens a lot when I'm just going through songs listening to them,
    not where it's always when I'm actually doing work and recording and such.

4. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

So has noone experienced this or what?
    This is the right section to post in, right?

I mean, if this was a normal thing, you would think it would be more well known wouldn't you?
    Actually, you would think it would get fixed.

The crackling goes away after you reboot your whole computer,
    but that's a major hastle. Especially when working with music.

I'm wondering if this is normal or if the "genius" just lied me.

honestly, the main reason I'm asking is because my laptop has had 2 logic board replacements and is acting up again (including battery indicator light is not functioning anymore, and freezing and such)
    and this popping crackling speaker shortage thing happened again (not the first time since last repair) and was wondering if it was worth throwing on top of the complaints or "symptoms".

5. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

I'm not entirely sure, but speakers "crackling" could mean the power output exceeds the speakers ranges, such as constantly using the speakers at maximum volume levels all the time, or it could mean one or all of the speakers are "blown". If you're using external speakers, could be a problem with the cable(s), loose wires (internally, or externally.) The sound files themselves with high-ranges combined with extreme equalizer settings, corrupt sectors on your hard drive where sounds files and music are stored, high-priority processes popping in and out. There are a numerous scenarios that could cause cackling (like forgetting to pull your zipper up on your pants.) ...er crackling that is.

If you're within warranty or have AppleCare, take your Mac to an Apple Store and have them "check the speakers, and wiring to and from them. If you've had 2 logic boards replaced already, I'd consider a new system. Unless of course, they are malfunctioning due to operating conditions, like extreme heat or cold, humidity, running heavy processes for lengthy times with improper ventilation, maybe even altitude, who knows- maybe you drag your feet on the carpet and give your Mac a little love jolt on your lap from time to time (all or some possibly leading to your logic board shorting out.)

6. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

honestly, my mac is not put under any wear and tear whatsoever.

it's a 17" Macbook Pro, and I pretty much only use it to record music on.
    I don't even take it out of my house, and I barely use it. (don't even use it every day. I'm not even on it right now.) It spends 80% of the time sitting on my desk either shut down or in sleep mode. It seems that almost every time I use it, as unoften as that is, it has some kind of problem.
    2 Logic Board replacements within the same 6 months is pretty ridiculous.

I don't do that much on it, so I'm not revving the processor up or whatever.
    I don't put the speaker on maximum usually, and I don't use external speakers.
    I don't really know the the problem is.

I mean, this has always happened. I took it to Apple the first time it started to happen, and they replaced the logic board because of it. (That, and the USB drive wouldn't hold a steady connection, and it froze on them there.)

The 2nd time I took it back to them for this problem, the guy told me it was normal and it was Garage Band's fault. Not really a good answer, if that's the case then Apple should have had this fixed by now.

2nd Logic board replacement was from freezing.

Now it freezes again, takes forever to do things, and battery indicator isn't working anymore.
    This speaker shortage has always happened since I've gotten this laptop, and they replace the Logic Board twice and I'm still having problems.

I am going to call Apple and ask them for a replacement, because I'm tired of driving back and fourth and being without my laptop. As little as I actually use it, I still can't stand to be without it for 4+ days. I don't use it a ton because I don't do everything on it, but I do all of my important things on it.

I was just wondering if this was worth adding to the pile of complaints of "malfunctions" that I'm experiencing with this laptop.

I think I've been patient enough with Apple. It's not that I'm out for a new unit, I just want a laptop that works without problem and for paying 3,000+ for it, I don't think those expectations are unreasonable.

7. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

Is it plugged into a stable power source using a power cable that doesn't have some sort of short in it somewhere? Is your Mac near any high-electromagnetic interference? (like a wall with a lot of heavy electrical wiring leading to the garage.)

I'd make a check-list, and start checking things off. I'd want to be sure there weren't any "external or environmental factors" coming into play, as it would simply happen again on another system.

8. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Honestly, I can't imagine any factors that lead to this.
    It's happened when plugged in, and when not plugged in.
    It's happened at my house in several rooms, along with other places outside of my house. I don't have anything external plugged into it, and it happens when Garage Band is the only only program that is open (aside finder, I guess) most of the time.

Pretty sure it's the laptop itself.

9. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

In that case, replace it entirely. Sometimes you get a lemon, that insists on being one, or a lazy Tech. that never really swapped the logic board out either times. So avoid the headaches, as it sounds like you've had enough. Get another system.

10. SPNarwhal thread starter macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

How would you suggest I do that?
    Call them and ask for a replacement?

Who do I ask for on the phone?

11. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020