Garageband '11 broke my speakers!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sokkerking12345, Jan 4, 2011.

1. sokkerking12345, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011

sokkerking12345 macrumors newbie

Ok, so I recently got a copy of iLife 11 for Christmas, and was using it today to put together a techno remix for the talent show, that is occurring on Thursday. If it's relevant I started the remix in Garageband '10. So I'm putting the last clip in place, and adjusting its position. I move the playhead back to before the transition, and let it play. It doesn't play. An error window pops up saying "Part of the track wasn't played" or something like that. Thanks, Garageband, I hadn't noticed. So I close the window and move the playhead to before the spot again, and all that I hear is a clicking noise. Just two quick clicks as I move the playhead. I hit play, the playhead moves, no error message, no sound. I move the playhead around the track for about ten seconds before deciding that Garageband has fallen mentally ill, saving, and reopening. Each time I moved it the same clicking noise is emitted. I reopen, and this time, the track won't play, and there is no clicking noise. So out of annoyance, I hit the play iTunes button, nothing happens, so I wait a couple of seconds and hit it again (I just assumed iTunes was closed, you know) and nothing happens. So I look at iTunes, and it's playing, but there's no sound. I hit the volume up button, the HUD appears, the volume bar moves, and no sound. So I restart. Upon restarting, I hear the startup noise play. Yay! Sound! So assuming all is fixed, I log in and reopen Garageband, and guess what? No sound. For all applications. So I restart again, don't open Garageband, but instead go straight to iTunes. Still no sound. I've restarted twice more since then, and the startup noise has played, but nothing else. Please help :(

Edit: Oh, and I also tried it with some headphones. Nothing plays through them either.

Another edit!: eheh... I fixed it. Just ignore me while I try to figure out how to delete posts...

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Open Audio MIDI Setup (in /Applications/Utilities). Check the Format (for internal speakers) and verify it's 44.100kHz and 2ch-24bit.

If it was setup ok, then try resetting the PRAM. (Startup while holding down cmd-opt-P-R and wait for a second startup chime, then release.)

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

You might as well share the fix, now that you're here. Others might find themselves in a similar situation and could make use of the info. Unless it's too embarrassing, of course...;)