Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

garageband_ipad_audio_paste_import.jpg

Apple today pushed out an update to GarageBand [App Store] for iPad, adding a number of new features including audio output via AirPlay, Bluetooth, and HDMI, import of various audio file types including Apple Loops, and the ability to copy and paste audio files from compatible applications.
What's New in Version 1.0.1

- Support for audio output over AirPlay, Bluetooth devices and HDMI with the Apple Digital AV Adapter.
- Import of AIFF, WAV, CAF audio files and Apple Loops (16 bit, 44.1 kHz).
- Allows copy and paste of audio from supported apps into GarageBand.
- Addresses occurrences of GarageBand freezing while playing Smart Instruments.
- Improves overall stability and addresses a number of minor issues.
Full details on how to use the new features are included in a support document associated with the release.

Apple released GarageBand for iPad in mid-March and has since updated its GarageBand and Logic applications for Mac to support working with projects created on the iPad app.

Article Link: GarageBand for iPad Updated With Audio Output, File Import, and Audio Copy and Paste

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
Playing your newly made music on the loud speakers across the room... How cool. :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I’ve got a ton of Apple Loops! Looks like I’ll be filling up my iPad soon...

The Doop

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Nice update...but what i truly want is the ability to turn off the accelerometer for drums. It's pretty much unusable in it's current state. :(

antrabbit

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2005
London, UK
Can u use airplay while making the track also?

If that does work, it will probably suffer the same delay of a few seconds that affects all airplay, making live performance impossible. Great news about the copy/paste from other programmes.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Yes! Can u use airplay while making the track also?

I don't have an iPad to test it on, but I'd assume so.

If that does work, it will probably suffer the same delay of a few seconds that affects all airplay, making live performance impossible. Great news about the copy/paste from other programmes.

According to the support document, audio input is disabled while AirPlay is enabled.

While the "AirPlay - Bluetooth - HDMI" switch is on, an alert appears if you try to record an Audio Recorder or Guitar Amp Touch Instrument, or if you try to record a sound with the Sampler. You can turn the switch off from the alert.

caspersoong

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2011
Still not universal? That's sad. Starting to wonder whether it will even come to the iPod touch and iPhone.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Depends on what you mean

Apple Loops - stupid question but can you get these on a Windows PC?I'm guessing not

Well, yes you can "get" apple loops on a Windows pc, they are just audio files with some extra data in them... but how you can actually use them (if at all) in Windows is another story. I do suspect, however, that you can still import apple loop files into audio editors and DAW programs. You might just lose some of the extra data in them (which is usually like timing or tempo information, etc.). The actual audio of the file itself should work fine... I think... :)

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Yes we need midi editing!!!!

But no piano roll midi editing?!

I'm a complainer me.

YES!!!! That's the biggest issue with ios Garageband!!! NO MIDI EDITING!!!! Like really, it's 2011... I don't even need anything fancy for midi editing, I realize that ios software is generally "light" software compared to a real program... but come on, at least give us the ability to make simple changes... for timing, pitches, velocity, come on this is easy!!! An old school 486 could literally do this!!! It's just midi!!!! ok ok there's my little rant. I really do hope this is addressed in a future update... it will make Garageband FAR more useful...! And that's a good thing...

rumourboy

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2004
The importing is a joke

From what I can see the import feature is the bare minimum of what they could offer. There is no mass import of apple loops rather files added one by one to a project. When loops are added via iTunes or imported into a project they do not move into the loop browser.

Was so excited this morning when I heard the news but so disappointed now.

Surely Apple aren't planning to lock down the 3rd party loop market and resell us their own jam pack loops.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Adding loops one by one...?? That's silly. Apple is an odd company sometimes. Especially with their portable and ios devices. They make fantastic hardware that's typically made very limited by their software programming decisions... It's almost as if they deliberately limit themselves and hold themselves back...

Let's hope that more updates in the future remove the castration from ios Garageband...

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
I just spent an hour or so noodling around with Garageband, outputting the sound to my my stereo via Airplay.

First note: Via wireless Airplay there is a definite lag. Maybe a half second or so. So much so that playing guitar or piano is (to me at least) not really practical. I haven't tried the HDMI cable because, well, I don't have the HDMI cable. Maybe this reduces or eliminates the lag.

With that said, however, its an incredible experience. Putting together a song, track by track, layering the sounds and effects and then hearing them (almost) in real time over decent speakers is incredible.

Second Note: You CAN add Apple Loops to Garageband. The iPad needs to be in sync mode (physically tethered to the computer.) Pick "Apps", and then "Garageband" and then navigate to the computer disk location of the *.aif and other file location for your loops. Then cut and paste them into your Song.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.