Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its GarageBand music creation software for Mac to version 10.3, introducing new loops, sound effects, drummers, and more, all for free.

There are two new Drummers that offer Roots and Jazz-influenced brush styles, along with 1,000 new electronic and urban loops that cover genres like Reggaeton, Future Bass, and Chill Rap.

garagebandformac-800x468.jpg

Apple says that it has added more than 400 animal, machine, and voice sound effects that can be worked into music creations, and there are also free downloadable Artist Lessons.

The new Artist Lessons are designed to teach users how to play hit songs on piano and guitar, and are taught by the artists that made the songs famous.

This is the first major update to GarageBand for Mac in a year. The last update, 10.2, was introduced in June 2017 and brought new Drummers along with support for the Touch Bar on the MacBook Pro.

Since April 2017, the GarageBand apps for both iOS and Mac have been available to download for free. You can get the new version of GarageBand for Mac from the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: GarageBand for Mac Updated With New Drummers, Loops, Sound Effects and Free Artist Lessons

Reactions: aliensporebomb

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Not showing up in Software Update for me, which likely means that 10.2 is the last version that can run on El Capitan.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
I’m surprised (but glad) Apple haven’t dropped GarageBand, it seems very much a legacy of what Apple was about 10 years ago, not where it seems to be going now.
GarageBand is almost like a reskinned version of Logic Pro X to make it easier to use. As long as LPX is updated, I expect GB to stick around.

It is a great piece of software if you want no hassle multitrack recording.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
New artists lessons? I may check them out. I started my guitar playing with garage band lessons but found them too packed. Just in case somebody had the same problem I recommend justinguitar.com

Reactions: AnonMac50

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I got the FCPX update, but the GB update still isn't showing up. I agree that GB is from a legacy time when Apple was giving people a stronger reason to switch to Mac. But I'm glad it's still included and I know a few people who have purchased their first Mac specifically because of GB.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I got the FCPX update, but the GB update still isn't showing up. I agree that GB is from a legacy time when Apple was giving people a stronger reason to switch to Mac. But I'm glad it's still included and I know a few people who have purchased their first Mac specifically because of GB.

It is the reason I switched to Mac. Well... back to Mac. I used Mac in the 90s but then was lied to by Apple who promised software updates for my PowerBook 140 then didn't, with no repurcussions.

Then Windows started jerking me around the same way so I went to Linux.

Finally under Jobs part 2, Apple paid attention to their customers again so I switched back.

Now I might go back to Linux again as both MS and Apple are both being total jerks.

I'll just keep a minimal Mac around only to run Garage Band.

NapoleonIV

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
"Garage band was unable to install the new sounds". The message says to turn it off and on again, but that doesn’t work. Any ideas?

Reactions: mvsopen

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
"Garage band was unable to install the new sounds". The message says to turn it off and on again, but that doesn’t work. Any ideas?

i've been dealing with that for weeks on the current version. i was hoping this update would fix my bug. hopefully your sitch is just server overload. maybe try again tomorrow

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
And, "like me" too. I still run a copy of El Cap in a VM just to keep GB 6.0.5 around. I'm a civil engineer, not a music creator but still a music lover - keeping GB 6 around just for Magic GB, importing that into Logic Pro X or GB. So much fun!

I'll be hunting down the lessons from Alex Lifeson, putting my Grado SR325e cans on, and telling my GF that I'm working on work projects for the next few days. That, and watching WC futbol - I'm going to be really "busy" the next week or so... ;)

Reactions: Dj64Mk7

odin

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Does anyone know of a good book or other source to actually get started with GB? It seems pretty powerful but also really undocumented. I don’t really “need” Logic but at least there are books and lots of intro resources.

Apple used to authorize some nice in-depth professional series (I think that’s how it was phrased) but the one for GB seems to be old enough it isn’t relevant.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Glad to see Apple keeps this amazing entry-level software updated. There's always an upgrade path to Logic (and iMovie to Final Cut) and imovie/garageband are perfect Segways into sparking interest

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England
The app you chose to install in the first place. What a pointless comment. :rolleyes:

Leave this thread for people who appreciate Apple giving us great software updates.
It was already installed on my 2017 MacBook Pro.... All installed with a large update ready and waiting to download! So I, like the other guy was happy to remove it and gain some space!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.