Garageband update 1.1gb

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dragon89, Feb 16, 2009.

1. dragon89 macrumors newbie

Hi My first thread,
    I have downloaded 1.1gb of the garageband loop and instrumenst to my new imac 2.66ghz, with 4 mb RAM, once download is compelte I get the error message, 'software update cannot unpackage' alas the download is gone, which is annoying as it takes 6 hours for me to download. Appreciate any ideas on how to fix

many thanks

Dragon

2. Queso macrumors G4

I wasn't aware this was available as a download. Can you post a link?

3. GeekSquadCIA macrumors newbie

GeekSquadCIA

You can get the update available through the software update on your mac by going into Garageband's options and telling it that you want to download all the extra loops and instruments. This will allow you to automatically download them through the software update.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Cheers. Now is there anyone that can answer my second question? What sort of extra loops/instruments are there in the download? Is there anything in the update that doesn't already appear in Logic Express 8?

5. dragon89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Failed Grageband 1.1gb download

HI

Guys thanks for your reply, and ideas why I cant unpackage the download??

Many thannks

Dragon

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The download probably got corrupted. The alternative to downloading it is installing it from the 2nd disc that came with your computer. If you reopen Garageband, look at the loop browser, and click on the grayed out button for one of the loops it'll ask if you want to download through software update or install from disc. Pick the install from disc method and save your internet bandwidth.

7. JonMcDonald macrumors member

I just downloaded the loop package myself. I did it through the software update, though. Have you tried that?

EDITED TO ADD: Worked first time for me, so pretty happy about that :]. And if your internet is to slow, you can go to a place like a coffee shop with fast WiFi.

8. dragon89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Garageband download

Hi

Thanks for both replies, I ihave already downloaded up via sotware update but it wont let let unpackage the download.

Didnt realsie it was on the 2nd CD, I will try that.

many thanks

Dragon:)

9. dragon89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Garageband update fixed

Thanks
    Jedimeister fixed from disk as you suggested, much obliged, thanks

Dragon

10. glasserp macrumors regular

Sorry, but I can't find this option in the GarageBand preferences to "download additional loops". Can anyone tell me specifically under what tab and where it is at?

11. Joel W macrumors newbie

Garageband update?

Hi,

I'm not new to MAC's. I use Garageband all of the time, and I find it limited. However, it is what I have to use at present. I am not interested in any bells, whistles, guitar lessons, or fun jams. I use it to edit my, and others music work, period.

My problem is I have the 1.1.0 version, and I want to update it. I read your replies re the software update for GB, and simply cannot find any reference to such. I only have a preference menu item, and in software update, I cannot find anything to relate to GB.

Please advise, or is there a better music program I can download, other than Pro Tools.

Thanks in advance,

Joel W

PS:
    I have an Olympus LS 10, and it works really well. I've inputted the recordings into Garageband with good sound results, but have not had the stereo results the unit has to offer. It translates the stereo music recordings into a single track. I think I need to use the stereo mini plug input in back, but how do I get the music program to recognize the 'Stereo' input into GB?'

12. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Well your version 1.1.0 is not the newer version that would be available to update. I think '09 would be version 5.x.x or something like that, as '08's current version is 4.1.2. Buy iLife '09 is about the only legal way to get the newer versions, look on eBay, run you around $50. I think that the upgrade from version 1 would be substantial. I am not aware of too many good music programs besides Logic, Garageband and Protools that are worth too much, and not any free ones. Audacity is an alright program, but not really any better in my opinion than any version of Garageband.

13. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

What kind of mac are you on?

14. Joel W macrumors newbie

OS Version 10.4.11

Hi Royale,

I am on a G4, latest version of the mirror door, 125 GHz processor, 2 gigs ram. Prior to your reply, I found the Audacity program. It had NO trouble inputting the 'Stereo' tracks, and it sounded WAY better. However, as I am typing, I am exporting it to see if Garageband can import it as a stereo file.

I think that using the usb connection, it is translating it into a single mono file. The unit has a mini plug out, which goes into the mac, but I don't know how to get the mac to recognize the source file.

I am on a deadline, I have to send this out in the next day...

Re Garageband; I do not need anything new... I need it to recognize the stereo aspects.

Thanks, and awaiting your reply.

If you are on yahoo messenger, I can jump to that.

All the best,

Joel
    aka
    Joeyjoel

15. jackerin macrumors 6502a

16. Joel W macrumors newbie

OK - So now...?

Hi again,

thanks for the heads up on the 'stereo' thing. I already knew that, but what I did not know was that the 'track' I was looking at IS R L stereo, but it is on a single track, for some reason.

So, I downloaded versions of Garage Band, from 4.1 down to 2. something... I keep getting an error message saying that Garage band update cannot find an elegible version to install to??? What the F...?

My system is factory, and Garage band came with my cpu.

Any ideas?

J.

17. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You have to actually purchase Garageband before you can run the updates you already downloaded the installers for. You cannot put a 4.1.2 patch on version 1.1.0, in other words. And since GB can't be purchased standalone, you're looking at purchasing the entire iLife suite for about $79.

18. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't know much about the usb input for your device, but if you are getting a stereo track into garageband, and there are two waveforms you can see in the one track, you could duplicate the whole track so you have two and then pan one left and pan one right so you have a separate track for each.

Not the most elegant, but should work. Or do the same in audacity.

Hope this helps, sorry I took so long to reply, wish you the best on completing your project on time.

19. Joel W macrumors newbie

Garage Band...

Hi again Royale,

Audacity seemed okay... but I quickly found that it does not edit effects in real time. For me, that is not acceptable.

My problem is (like the whole world is now gonna know), even though I'm a professional, I do music and writing for a living, but life totally kicked my ass this year, and money at present is a problem, or I'd be gettin Pro Tools.

I work fast, and if I have to wait to preview efx, that would be way too slow.

So, I'm online looking at other editing software.

GarageBand is not bad; limited yes, but it has some nice features. I'll see what turns up.

By the way, I'm in SoCal. Anyone out this way?

Joel W.
    aka (professional name)
    JoeyJoel

20. jackerin macrumors 6502a

You can either do as Royale suggested and duplicate the track and select to only play one channel in each (you can do that by just selecting the corresponding tracks in the track info, no need for unnecessary panning), OR...

You could create two real instrument tracks and arm them both for recording, one taking input from left channel the other from right. If you want to have R and L on separate tracks, then that should do the trick.

21. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

I think I know what you are talking about, but I do not know where that would be in the track info. Are you talking about when recording, or on a track that is already recorded? I was under the impression that it was previously recorded material that he wants to split up also. How can we do that in GB without unnecessary panning and without using another program? I always have hated to use that pan crap if I had no other choice, but I really didn't run into it too often.

Maybe post a screenshot of the option in track info? Also which GB version, jackerin?

22. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you're right, I misremembered the GB behaviour. (I had it mixed up with making a mono source recorded in stereo sound on both channels, in which case you could change it after recording by selecting just the right channel in the track info.)

When working with already recorded material I think the only way to go is to duplicate it onto a new track and select the corresponding channels for them and pan to where you want them in the mix.

23. Joel W macrumors newbie

Hey Guys...

First, is there anyone out here in SoCal?

Okay yes, I have been referring to music recorded as a stereo wav or mp3 file, and then I input it into GB to EQ it. I have been getting some good results with this.

If you go to my MySpace page, you will hear the music sounding somewhat large, as in a good sized hall. It was recorded on a small hand held, with a single two trk stereo five dollar mic. The original data came out sounding very dry, very thin; thin like listening to the music with the distant telephone sound. Of course the raw data was there. The finished sound, done in GB about three to four years ago, while not spectacular, still is not bad when you consider what I started with.

http://myspace.com/joeyjoelsblues

In any case, GB version 1, or whatever I have has good qualities such as real time eq, efx, etc. Still, I think I'm gonna look for something else that is stand alone I can keep up with upgrades w/out having to buy into something else I do not need.

As far as the single stereo track, yes, if you look at the vu's, they will show the difference... but other than panning the single track, I cannot eq them separately unless I duplicate the 'one' track. Problem is, it changes output sound to some degree.

I don't like audacity, or the other freeware/shareware, as I have not found any with real time editing. Audacity, and a couple of others I've tried in the last few days do separate the tracks, but again, when input into GB, they still appear as a single stereo trk.

I'm gonna start a new thread if my next problem is not solved... (geez, I was a wiz with system 9)...

All the best,

Joel

24. noodlehead macrumors member

R & L waveforms the same in stereo

Yeah, this is really ridiculous. I am just trying to import a stereo tape into GB 08, and to have the waveforms for each channel show as identical is crazy. Why did they do that? There are 2 discrete tracks. WTF? It is the same on playback. I am finding GB incredibly unintuitive for a program that has been around for so long. Probably just download Audacity at this point.

Edit: So when I try to create 2 tracks and arm both (to do the panning thing), GB says "Can't enable Track for Recording. The input channel on this track is already in use. Choose another input channel." Huh? I can't make 2 editable tracks from a stereo source recording? What am I missing here? That can't be right.

25. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Why do you need to arm them for recording to pan?