Gartner: iPhone Doubles Share of Smartphone Market Over Year-Ago Quarter

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Research firm Gartner today released a report covering mobile phone sales for the first quarter of 2009. As part of the report, Gartner released sales figures and market share for the smartphone category, which includes Apple's iPhone. According to Gartner's numbers, Apple more than doubled its share of the worldwide smartphone market to 10.8%, up from 5.3% in the year-ago quarter, maintaining its third position behind Nokia and Research in Motion. The increase came in the context of a smartphone marker that grew by 12.7%, while the overall mobile market shrank by 9.4%.

Worldwide Smartphone Sales in 1Q09 in Thousands of Units (Source: Gartner)

While Apple's smartphone market share saw a significant increase over the year-ago quarter, it was essentially flat compared to Apple's 10.7% share in the fourth quarter of 2008. The quarter-to-quarter results do, however, indicate that iPhone sales held up relatively well as the current model progressed into what should end up being the latter half of its life cycle.

Research in Motion, which offers the BlackBerry line of smartphones, also saw strong sales, seeing its share of the worldwide smartphone market reach 19.9%, a nearly 50% increase over the year-ago quarter and up slightly over its 19.5% share in the fourth quarter of 2008.

Article Link: Gartner: iPhone Doubles Share of Smartphone Market Over Year-Ago Quarter

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
It'd be nice to see where Palm comes in on market share a year after they release.

Meanwhile, WTG, iPhone!

:apple:

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
THAT'S NOTHING!

Wait until Microsoft enters the market. Then you Apple fanboys will tremble in fear.

DoubleU

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2008
Looks like Otheris taking a hammering, they won't be in business this time next year.

imikem

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2005
Frozen tundra of MN
Don't Palm already make smartphones?
For certain values of "smart" perhaps...

Still the Pre has a chance to do quite well I think. There are a couple of segments of possible users.

First, there are surely some Palm true believers who will jump at it.

Some people will decide primarily based on the feature list matching their desires.

Some people will want to try it just to be different, or because they are unhappy with whatever phone (or carrier) they are currently using. Maybe to be able to claim they were early adopters in case it takes off.

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I always wonder what qualifies a smartphone. The Nokia 5800 is included though the Nokia E or N serie isn't!? :confused:

In total sales numbers the iPhone has around 1.5% market share.

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It just seems to me like Apple is totally shooting themselves in the foot by only being with one carrier. I know a minimum of 4 people, myself included, who would've bought iPhones if it wasn't tied exclusively to AT&T.

This isn't about AT&T being a lousy company with high prices and poor customer service (which is all true)... this is about NOT BEING ABLE TO GET RECEPTION WHERE WE LIVE. In the middle of a gigantic metropolis area known as Los Angeles.

One of my friends actually went out and bought the frickin' iPhone, only to find out that she has ZERO AT&T RECEPTION anywhere inside her lovely 5-bedroom mansion right in the Los Feliz area near Western and Hollywood Blvd. This is by no means the boondocks... she is literally 2 minutes from downtown Hollywood. She could only get reception by standing all the way out in the back of her yard, all the way behind the pool. Thinking that maybe it was the iPhone, she bought a Blackberry from AT&T instead. Same exact problem. She switched back to T-Mobile, which gives her perfect reception. Meanwhile, my Sprint phone worked perfectly as well.

Another one of my friends lives up in the Hollywood Hills, one of the wealthiest and most populated areas of Los Angeles. It is widely known throughout Los Angeles that AT&T does not have ANY reception up in this area, which is home to hundreds of thousands of people -- and wealthy influential ones at that. She actually BOUGHT the frickin' iPhone too, and resorted to using a landline from her home when she was home. She would just keep checking her iPhone voicemail from a landline a dozen times per night to see if she missed any calls. Finally, after 3 months of that nonsense, she went back to Sprint. We talked about the possibility of her auto-forwarding her calls from her cell phone to her landline, but she nixed that idea because she just knew that she would forget to UN-forward it every morning when she left the house. In any case, no matter what the solution, it would've been a nightmare. And it was a nightmare.

Another one of my friends also lives up in a different part of the Hollywood Hills, and has been clinging onto her Sprint Treo 650 for years. She has been dying to get the iPhone, and always tests her friends' iPhones when they come up to visit her. ZERO BARS. So now she's forced into getting the Palm Pre when it comes out next month.

AT&T simply has horrible coverage in Los Angeles, and I'm sure that this is the same in many other places as well.

It is absolutely ridiculous and ludicrous that Apple would be shooting themselves in the foot like this.

There are EAGER CUSTOMERS who WANT TO BUY THE FRICKIN' IPHONE, BUT THEY CANNOT DO SO BECAUSE IT IS NOT AVAILABLE ON THE CARRIER WHICH WORKS WHERE THEY LIVE. And so, these customers end up signing 2-year contracts with other providers and then get hooked on a Blackberry or whatever other phone they end up getting.

Apple, open up your phone to other carriers, just like RIM has done! It's no surprise that RIM has a greater marketshare than Apple! Their phones are available on EVERY SINGLE CARRIER EVERYWHERE!

Bubbsdaddy

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Impressive

Considering that Apple has only 2 models, identical except for memory, I'd say Apple being in 3rd is pretty impressive.

I love my iPhone, but if someone else is using a Blackberry, what purpose does it serve for me to bash them for not using an iPhone? And vice-versa... It amazes me to see all the insults and put downs in the trivial war between Apple users / RIM users / HTC users, etc... To each his own... I have better things to do besides ripping a Blackberry user a new one just because he/she chooses to use a Blackberry over an iPhone...

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
tired business model!

Nokia sells a lot but think about it, every 3 months they sell 14 million phones but do they sell them to new customers? Yeah but not that many. The reason Nokia sell so many is b/c Nokia makes their phones so freaking cheap they are literarily disposable.
The cell game is littered with planned obsolescence.
But lets be fare, a great many people are careless and lose their phone all the time so that aids in Nokia selling so many. Then there are thieves and defective handsets. Nokia cranks out a lot of different models to and has glutted the market with cell phones. I bet they carry a lot of debt to maintain their lucrutive business model. Not that Apple doesn't put out new swag, they do, but they do it at a very slow pace. The company has 29 billion in the bank and no debt. Wow!

nkawtg72

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007
It just seems to me like Apple is totally shooting themselves in the foot by only being with one carrier. I know a minimum of 4 people, myself included, who would've bought iPhones if it wasn't tied exclusively to AT&T.
I'll be honest, I didn't read all of your post. Commenting on your above statement alone, I will say that hearing this complaint voiced by people absolutely drives me nuts. I'm not saying you are this way, but others I've heard say that seem to think that Apple is the only manufacturer in the cellphone market with an exclusive agreement with a carrier.

Hate to break it to folks, they aren't. ATT isnt perfect, but I have the same opinions about other carriers that other consumers have about ATT. If it wasn't ATT, it would be another carrier that everyone would be complaining about having the exclusive agreement to carry the iPhone.

The fact is, the model is obviously working for Apple, even if it is isolating a portion of those consumers that would buy the iPhone if it werent for the carrier providing it.

Apple, since its turn around early this decade, has not been concerned with quantity, instead they focus on quality. Having an exclusive agreement with one carrier in the different worldwide markets, has given them more control over the user experience. This means that one iPhone user isn't having a better/worse experience than another within the same market, simply because they are with different carriers.

I'm sure Apple will, and wants to, expand to other carriers. But I assure you, they will make sure there is at least some way for them to continue to control the user experience and maintain high consumer satisfaction with the product.

Yes, Apple's iPhone business seems to be a complete failure. If only someone at Apple knew how to run a technology company...
LMAO!!!

scotty321

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I'll be honest, I didn't read all of your post.
Which makes you completely and totally unqualified to write a reply to my post, which you proceeded to do anyways.

Wow, I would really love to have a real-world conversation with you -- you're the guy who's always interrupting people mid-sentence to MAKE YOUR POINT HEARD, NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY ELSE IN THE ROOM IS SAYING!

Get some manners and respect.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Interesting stats although hardly surprising Apple grew their share given the dramatic increase in available markets and the reduction in price. Also interesting to see Nokia making a good recovery with the 5800 after an absolutely underwhelming (N85 aside) new N series line up in 2008.

THAT'S NOTHING!

Wait until Microsoft enters the market. Then you Apple fanboys will tremble in fear.
I'm presuming you mean with hardware rather than WinMo which sold more licenses than Mobile OS X last year?

NewSc2

macrumors 65816
Jun 4, 2005
New York, NY
Which makes you completely and totally unqualified to write a reply to my post, which you proceeded to do anyways.

Wow, I would really love to have a real-world conversation with you -- you're the guy who's always interrupting people mid-sentence to MAKE YOUR POINT HEARD, NO MATTER WHAT ANYBODY ELSE IN THE ROOM IS SAYING!

Get some manners and respect.
This is an internet forum. Your post was really long, and it basically said one thing -- Apple shouldn't put all its eggs into AT&T, because it isn't that good. Do you talk that much in person too?

I had Verizon before I switched to the iPhone. Honestly, I got dropped calls and dead zones with Verizon, too. I wouldn't say I have any more or less dropped calls/dead zones with AT&T. There's a notorious spot in my local Costco that I get 1 or 2 bars in, but virtually everywhere else I get full coverage.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68020
Jan 17, 2008
Big D
I disagree with everyone above and I am absolutely right and I don't have to explain why or even read your post so you can go back to sleep now. Oh, and everyone below as well and from now on. :p

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Damn Nokia Sells that Much :eek::eek::eek: Wow must be the N and Music Express Series but I don't see that many people with them in the U.S. , maybe over seas?? Wow

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Not really surprised...
I agree. We already knew this. The number of people who have bought the original iPhone pales in comparison to 3G sales - of course there's going to be a large percentage increase over last year. But these numbers still show Apple has a lot of market to cover if they want to be #1 or #2. Stuck with just one cellphone carrier, I just don't see this happening - it doesn't have much to do with the iPhone itself, just based on numbers.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
This is an internet forum. Your post was really long, and it basically said one thing -- Apple shouldn't put all its eggs into AT&T, because it isn't that good. Do you talk that much in person too?

I had Verizon before I switched to the iPhone. Honestly, I got dropped calls and dead zones with Verizon, too. I wouldn't say I have any more or less dropped calls/dead zones with AT&T. There's a notorious spot in my local Costco that I get 1 or 2 bars in, but virtually everywhere else I get full coverage.
And pretty much all the schools in the district I work in are proverbial black holes for cell signal. Doesn't matter which carrier. Walk into any of the schools and you're lucky if you get any reception whatsoever. But then again, pretty much all the schools were built like 50 years ago & probably built to resist nuclear bombs (gotta love the 1950's!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.