Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Very seamless! I have used MiWi in the past and it just killed my battery. I love having it integrated within iOS because you can tell they really optimized it for the phone and it is hardly effecting my battery life.

The power to turn your phone into a Hotspot is incredible and although jail breaking is an option, I love not having to worry about all the problems that come with jailbreaking.

Thanks.

I recently dropped my unlimited iPhone plan to the 2GB plan for a $5/month savings.

Then, when my current month iPad plan is up, see about exchanging the $30/month I pay for the tethering option. Or just the $15/month plan.

When I bought the iPad, there was no official tethering, and there was no WiFi available at my work I could use for lunchtime use. Now there is. So less of a need for an iPad 3G plan.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
That's debatable. I feel justified in that now I can turn on personal hotspot and continue to use the feature immediately after apple issues an iOS update with no issues. Sure MiWi is nice but you have to jailbreak and make your phone unstable in doing do. Unlimited data on the iPhone is great... but being able to share your iPhones data via hotspot is incredible through Apple's implementation.

The only issues I had with MiWi (or at least the version last year on my JB 3G) were higher battery usage, swapping SIMs between that and my 4, and occasionally having to reboot. But I'm hoping the integrated one works fine since I like the 4 better :)

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
I gave up my unlimited data plan as well to tether. I was only using 1GB a month on my unlimited plan anyhow.

gameboy213

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Sticking with unlimited and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. I think a device like this needs the 3G access option and the price for unlimited that I had was too good to pass up. Still is..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT
Anyone who gave up unlimited to pay an additional monthly fee to the worlds worst network are just plain retarded. and then to start a thread about is even more retarded. Oh ive got an idea, let's show the world how stupid we are!

Works perfectly, no battery drain what so ever, so that argument is bull. Jail breaking is safe and completely reliable, these folks are just to scared to take that route and would rather make lame excuses.

Charging for tethering is ridiculous in the first place, always has been, and I for one will never give up my unlimited account!

Last edited:

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
Anyone who gave up unlimited to pay an additional monthly fee to the worlds
worst network are just plain retarded. and then to start a thread about is even more retarded. Oh ive got an idea, let's show the world how stupid we are!

works perfectly, no battery drain what so ever, so that argument is bull. Jail breaking is safe and completely reliable, these folks are just to scared to take that route and would rather make lame excuses.

Charging for tethering is ridicules in the first place, always has been, and I for one will never give up my unlimited account primarily because I'm not retarded!

"Because I'm not retarded" - strongest reason I've seen so far! Well thought out opinion, compelling, and rich.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
worst network are just plain retarded. and then to start a thread about is even more retarded. Oh ive got an idea, let's show the world how stupid we are!

works perfectly, no battery drain what so ever, so that argument is bull. Jail breaking is safe and completely reliable, these folks are just to scared to take that route and would rather make lame excuses.

Charging for tethering is ridicules in the first place, always has been, and I for one will never give up my unlimited account primarily because I'm not retarded!

This post is retarded. You bash someone because they CHOSE to do what works for you is retarded :rolleyes: Welcome to America retard ;)

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
If you dont touch 4gb a month then you probably don't use Netflix.. With the way the Internet is getting, more multimedia enhanced, you will see larger and cheaper data plans someday. I think it is the exact opposite of some of you saying ULData is on the way out. On the contrary, it will be needed someday. : )

Source:
http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/how-much-data-does-netflix-streaming-video-use-ipad-3g

I only stream Netflix at home via my XBOX 360 or Apple TV.

mikeylikesit

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
For those of you who dropped the unlimited plan, I hope you sold your sim on eBay. Those plans are worth $300+ to people who don't have them.

neko girl

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2011
For those of you who dropped the unlimited plan, I hope you sold your sim on eBay. Those plans are worth $300+ to people who don't have them.
mikey, how would a sale like this work?
-If you are still on AT&T contract, would you have to pay ETF?
-Would you tell AT&T the sim is lost, or..?
-How would the new person transfer the sim over to their name? Does AT&T allow this?

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
mikey, how would a sale like this work?
-If you are still on AT&T contract, would you have to pay ETF?
-Would you tell AT&T the sim is lost, or..?
-How would the new person transfer the sim over to their name? Does AT&T allow this?

I think he was referring to the ipad unlimited data sim.

phluid13

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
If your contract states you must pay for tethering to use this feature and you instead jailbreak your phone and get this service for free, you are stealing. For one, you are in breach of a contract which is grounds for AT&T to sue you for the damages if they ever decide to take it this far. Damages is any amount of money that AT&T would be without unless you were within the terms of your contract. Second, you are reaping the benefits of a service you would otherwise have to pay for, which equals "theft" of a service. When you take something you didn't pay for, its stealing (unless it was provided for FREE, of course)

On a side note, I don't agree that we should have to pay for this feature, but I don't steal it nonetheless. I wholeheartedly agree with everyone here that it is ridiculous to charge for this feature. I just wanted to answer a few posts here from people who asked how this could be stealing.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
This post is retarded. You bash someone because they CHOSE to do what works for you is retarded :rolleyes: Welcome to America retard ;)

Not the most sensitive post there...

I'm very tempted to ditch my unlimited, 30/mo plan to acquire tethering the legit way, although the idea of jailbreaking/tethering isn't that hard for me to handle. Does anyone know of any free apps out there for tethering?

PS: For those really, really old of us out there... does Netshare still work in ios 4? I haven't tried it in forever, mainly because I always had problems getting it to work properly.... but with the new ipad... I'm tempted.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
If your contract states you must pay for tethering to use this feature and you instead jailbreak your phone and get this service for free, you are stealing. For one, you are in breach of a contract which is grounds for AT&T to sue you for the damages if they ever decide to take it this far. Damages is any amount of money that AT&T would be without unless you were within the terms of your contract. Second, you are reaping the benefits of a service you would otherwise have to pay for, which equals "theft" of a service. When you take something you didn't pay for, its stealing (unless it was provided for FREE, of course)

On a side note, I don't agree that we should have to pay for this feature, but I don't steal it nonetheless. I wholeheartedly agree with everyone here that it is ridiculous to charge for this feature. I just wanted to answer a few posts here from people who asked how this could be stealing.

You must be among the people that think those who break copyrights are "stealing" too, right? Please check the definition of stealing. They're infringing on rights, but there is no good being actually STOLEN from anyone. Same with AT&T; you're breaking your contract, but it's up to AT&T to enforce their end of the contract. They can take action against you, but its not THEFT. Civil vs. criminal.

And yes, I know about the DMCA, etc laws regarding copyright infringement being a crime, but this is brand new thinking and I still assert that although it is a crime, it is not the crime of theft.

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010

Ooh a 1L! Fun!

Att wouldn't sue, because they'd be countersued for fraud faster than they could say "sorry." (fraudulently inducing people into the contract with the promise of unlimited data, while burying clauses in the contract that basically say 'its not unlimited').

Additionally, what service are you stealing? If I paid for unlimited data and use a third party tethering program -- see developed by someone other than att -- what service is att providing me? The data is paid for, the ability to tether isnt provided by them. I'm not sure they could claim you stole anything, especially since it's already been determined jail breaking is legal.

sap12690

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I just gave up my unlimited today and changed to 4 GB. I was in a Washington D.C. Art museum doing my art class work and needed wifi on my iPad. so I changed and got wifi through my iPhone, l loved it.

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
You must be among the people that think those who break copyrights are "stealing" too, right? Please check the definition of stealing. They're infringing on rights, but there is no good being actually STOLEN from anyone. Same with AT&T; you're breaking your contract, but it's up to AT&T to enforce their end of the contract. They can take action against you, but its not THEFT. Civil vs. criminal.

And yes, I know about the DMCA, etc laws regarding copyright infringement being a crime, but this is brand new thinking and I still assert that although it is a crime, it is not the crime of theft.

Technically, it's theft of services. You are using a level of service you are not paying for. Don't believe me, google cable modem uncapping. Same arguments 10 years ago, same result.

Now do I think AT&T is going to have the FBI bust down the doors of unauthorized tethering users? no. I think they will either do what they are doing now, or start terminating service.

Do I think that this type of thing SHOULD fall into the realm of "criminal"? Hell no. Do I think it's stealing? Nope. Unfortunately neither your opinion, mine, or anyone else's on this board matters. I'm sure if AT&T got a bug up there butts about it, they could get it treated as such.

The thing to remember is this: If a big corp thinks it's illegal (or just wants it to be), they tell the law, the law is probably going to side with the big corp a find something to charge you with. Then it's up to a judge. Even if you eventually win, you'll be stuck with legal bills and who knows how many hours wasted on the battle. Is it right? No. Is it reality? Yep....

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Oh, and back on topic, I dropped unlimited on both my iPhone and my iPad, and switched to tethering. I get 4GB and it saves me $15 a month. I never went over 2GB in a single month combined on both devices anyway. So win for me. In retrospect I probably should have sold my unlimited SIM from the iPad, but oh well..

Cutwolf

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2010
Technically, it's theft of services. You are using a level of service you are not paying for. Don't believe me, google cable modem uncapping. Same arguments 10 years ago, same result.

Now do I think AT&T is going to have the FBI bust down the doors of unauthorized tethering users? no. I think they will either do what they are doing now, or start terminating service.

Do I think that this type of thing SHOULD fall into the realm of "criminal"? Hell no. Do I think it's stealing? Nope. Unfortunately neither your opinion, mine, or anyone else's on this board matters. I'm sure if AT&T got a bug up there butts about it, they could get it treated as such.

The thing to remember is this: If a big corp thinks it's illegal (or just wants it to be), they tell the law, the law is probably going to side with the big corp a find something to charge you with. Then it's up to a judge. Even if you eventually win, you'll be stuck with legal bills and who knows how many hours wasted on the battle. Is it right? No. Is it reality? Yep....

Once again, it's not illegal. It's a breach of contract, at worst. Breaching a contract is not illegal.

If you offered me unlimited cookies, so long as I only ate them one at a time, and instead I ate two at a time, I didn't steal cookies, I just violated our agreement.

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Once again, it's not illegal. It's a breach of contract, at worst. Breaching a contract is not illegal.

If you offered me unlimited cookies, so long as I only ate them one at a time, and instead I ate two at a time, I didn't steal cookies, I just violated our agreement.

Just because it's a breach of contract does not automagically exclude it from also being a crime. Cable modem uncapping was also technically a breach of contract case as well, yet the reality of it was that plenty of people were arrested.

You could also, in theory, be charged under federal law for unauthorized computer access (this has been applied to networks in the past as well) and/or exceeding authorized access. Since AT&T sells a data plan that allows tethering, and the one you are on does not (it is in your contract), this would indeed apply.

Like I said, I don't agree, but that is the reality of the situation.

You would be surprised at what is and is not a crime these days.

p.s. - In your example, if I also offered a plan that allowed you to eat two cookies at a time, but that plan cost more, and I caught you, I could have you charged with theft of services. The charge would not be for violation of your existing contract, but for using a service (the 2 cookie service) you were not paying for.

Last edited:

phluid13

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007

Sorry, I was wrong up there. I don't know what I was saying. I stand corrected.

They COULD sue if they wanted to though. Not that they would before they dropped your contract and service and tried to charge you up the butt for it.

And like I said before, what I think is a different matter. I think this should be free. I don't get why we are charged to route data that we paid for to another device. It's never made sense to me. I still won't do it.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I use about 1gb/mo on my iphone and just decided to give up unlimited for tethering, i do have ipad unlimited which is my netflix/slingbox machine....which is better than the small screen of the iphone...

reputationZed

macrumors 65816

"Oh ive got an idea, let's show the world how stupid we are!"

Job well done. You've given us all we need to know to make that assessment.

"I for one will never give up my unlimited account primarily because I'm not retarded!"

Your argument is that anyone who gives up an unlimited account, even when they never get near the cap on a limited accout, is retarded? If there was a little yellow school bus award for forum posts you would get my vote.

Before calling someone else stupid you may want to learn how to spell ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.