Gave up on AW S3 LTE Verizon

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jbizzybeetle, May 2, 2018.

1. jbizzybeetle macrumors 6502a

After the move from AT&T, Verizon could never get my AW S3 LTE to work independently and reliably.

So, I ditched the monthly $10 “wearable” line today and will just carry the iPhone X with me.

Maybe I will go back to AT&T after Verizon promotional period ends. I don’t want to pay back $100 reward for prior carrier change.

Meanwhile, we will see if anything relevant comes of the DOJ’s eSim-collusion investigation.

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Did you have the watch on LTE while with ATT?

3. jbizzybeetle, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018

jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes. Apple-purchase AW in Sept. worked fine on AT&T thru 6splus, and both AT&T-tied iPX and simfree iPX purchased directly from Apple.

problem started with switch to verizon in December, tried several times to fix with Verizon tech support. today 3-4 hours, and I gave up.

wasn’t too bothered thru initial 3 months no-charge wearable but balked at $10 per month for no independence.

BTW: First Verizon person in Dec told me “you won’t be able to use the AT&T watch with Verizon. You will have to buy a Verizon AW. “

She wasn’t supposed to be right, but maybe that was the honest truth. More recently, I noted a Google search turned up a Verizon statement re: AW and a vSim. V not e.

4. TiggrToo macrumors demi-goddess

TiggrToo

Anyone who tells you that you cannot use a watch brought from AT&T on VCW (assuming the associated iPhone is on VCW) is 100% categorically absolutely fundamentally wrong in every conceivable respect.

Granted before swapping one needs to ensure the watch is paid off, has not been reported as lost or stolen and has been disconnected from the previous plan (which is more than just unpairing it). That all said, if all that is true then you absolutely have a watch than can be used with any of the big 4 (soon to be 3?) US carriers.

5. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes. we know that all is supposed to be true.

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

The watch could be locked by ATT.

Yeah we know the watch is supposed to be able to be used on any network blah blah blah.

There are other posts where watches that were in t-mobile couldn’t be used on Verizon.

I see it frequently. But I’m sure I’m sure I am categorically absolutely fundamentally wrong in every conceivable respect in any advice I may provide, so I will allow some others whom are apparently experts to advise.

7. dave006 Contributor

dave006

I know we covered this before but just to try to reduce further confusion should others stumble onto this thread.

There is no such thing as a Verizon AW. Apple Watch Series 3 (GPS + Cellular) comes in three regional models – Americas, China, and Europe/Asia Pacific!

The issue @jbizzybeetle and others that have switched carriers have often reported is that the new carrier rep does not know how to enter the device specific information into their back-end system to allow for the watch's eSIM to be provisioned correctly by their carrier's back-end system.

The reason it almost always works the first time for a watch purchased initially from "your" carrier is that the correct information has already been provided to the carrrier's back-end system.

When you switch carriers, there is no way for the new carrier to know the information need to provision the eSIM. A carrier rep must enter the required information manually into their back-end system. Then and only then can the iPhone Watch app drive the on device activation workflow or the carrier rep must complete a manual provisioning of the eSIM by completing the registration of the required data and starting the required carrier workflow.

For example: if you purchase the watch from Verizon directly, before you ever get your hands on the watch the box was scanned and the bar codes on the bottom of the box identified the required information and recorded it in the carrier's back-end system. This is similar to how you can purchase an iPhone X directly from Apple that arrives directly from the Apple factory with the carrier's nano-SIM preinstalled. Just before your carrier iPhone is loaded into it's shipping box, it is scanned and the bar coded information is provided to the appropriate carrier's back-end system including the physical SIM that was installed in the iPhone at the Apple factory.

Note: the only difference currently is the Watch uses an eSIM instead of a physical SIM. The information from the bottom of the box is needed to actually provision the eSIM for carrier service. There are no shortcuts! Yes you can find the same information for the Apple Watch app and on the physical watch but I find it easier to just read off all the barcoded fields from the bottom of the watch box. Yes there are some long strings of numbers and that is another place where the rep can fail to enter the correct information. Without the exact information, there is simply no way to properly provision the eSIM.

Dave

8. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

There have been a couple reports of Apple simply swapping the watch in these cases. We know the carriers should be able to fix it, but if you escalate to Apple support they seem to realize it's more of a headache to the customer. There have been a couple threads were Apple came through and just supplied a replacement watch. (Not that they should have to do this, but it solves the problem, as the new watch goes through the standard provisioning.)

9. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

What a timely thread. I am in the same boat with my recently paid off AW3 LTE from AT&T.

I have tried almost everything mentioned (including going to a Verizon store) and they all tell me the same thing. When I tell them that the IMEI from the watch needs to be entered into their backend system, I get blank stares and told basically you’re outta luck.

I still have my box for the watch so I wonder if I gave Verizon all the numbers associated with my watch (if I can find a knowledgeable tech on the verizon side) would they add it in.

Otherwise, I’ll try the Apple Store and see if they can help. Anyone have any success going the Apple Store route?

10. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

Btw, you knowledgeable people with LTE watches:

Someone told me that although you don't need to bring your phone with you, you need to have your iPhone turned on (and connected to cellular network) in order for the watch to be able to connect as well.

Is this really true? Sounds weird to me. Like, if my phone battery runs flat - or is out of reception for whatever reason - my watch becomes worthless (as a smart device anyway) as well?

11. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

SMS requires the phone to be connected somewhere. Other things do not, like iMessage. Or direct phone calls from the Watch.

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

All the US carriers have free programs in place that allow the watch to receive sms and everything else over their network without the iPhone on. You have to turn this on tho.

13. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Do you have a reference for this? Link to the carriers perhaps? The Apple support documents still state this requirement as far as I know. See here, for example: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208489

14. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Seems you are right, I went through att number sync website and it took a bit of digging but it says that too.

15. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

Ah, too bad, I thought maybe they had improved it.

16. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

Update: went to the Apple Store today and after they called Verizon for an hour and they refused to add the watch to their system I got a replacement watch which works perfectly. YMMV.

I have a sneaky feeling Verizon and AT&T banned each other’s watches to prevent people from buying the watch from one carrier and using it on another.

17. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Such switches are great and must cost Apple something. Perhaps explains why Apple would complain about eSim “locking problems”.

18. Lennyvalentin macrumors 65816

Lennyvalentin

That shouldn't happen though, as the watches are all one and the same model, and come shrinkwrapped from the same China factory.

19. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No locking on the watch. Carriers were / are only locking the iPad models that have both and eSIM and a slot for a physical nano-SIM.

The stated reason was the carriers did not want to support an "Apple" reusable SIM that could allow the customer to easily switch between carriers. That's what the carriers fear the most: customer churn!

Dave

20. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

So the eSim on the iPad Pro's are locked as well?

21. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No not as well, the Apple watch eSIM is not locked and has never been locked to a carrier!

The issue is with poorly trained carrier employees when adding a device to the "White List" for the carrier. I would say that 90% or more don't have a clue what to do with a cellular wearable device ( Apple / Samsung ) that was not already scanned into their back-end system.

The issue with the eSIM on the iPad models is that if you purchase the iPad directly from the carrier the eSIM may be locked. However, you can still use the standard nano-SIM slot for any valid nano-SIM.

Note: the iPad Pro Cellular models come with an imbedded eSIM and a physical nano-SIM slot that will have an Apple nano-SIM or a carrier nano-SIM depending on where or how your purchase the device.

The next odd thing is that AT&T will lock an Apple nano-SIM to AT&T. Normally the Apple nano-SIM (removable) when used in the iPad allows you to select from a list of carriers and switch as often as your needs change.

Note: AT&T customers have reported being able to get AT&T to actually unlock the eSIM on the iPad if the device is not on a device payment plan.

Dave

22. jbizzybeetle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I an NOT arguing against your points. That is why I put “ locking eSim” in quotes.

What if Apple did not specifically and in these words officially complain of “locking eSims” but rather of more complicated, even incompetent if not dishonest, business practices that effectively tie up AW LTE uses, reputation, and ultimately impact revenue?

Wouldn’t be the first time a spokesperson or article author “simplified” a concept for us with a catchy and quick phrase but left us no better informed.

23. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

Weird...I purchased an open box Apple Watch Series 3 SBSS from Best Buy yesterday...paired it with my iPhone X...and just went through the process of adding it to my AT&T account. Went through without a hitch. Now...maybe it was already linked to AT&T, but there's no way to know that.

In other news, I have not been able to add AppleCare+ to it through Apple. Am waiting for a phone call from a rep to do that.

24. newtestleper, May 8, 2018
    Last edited: May 9, 2018

newtestleper macrumors 6502

A lot of misinformation here. I posted about this a few months ago in hopes of people not wasting half their life like I did.

25. infernoguy macrumors regular

infernoguy

You were lucky. I tried everything you did and got told by Verizon no deal.

Fortunately, Apple was generous to replace the watch on the spot after they tried the same thing in store.