Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Long-running used smartphone buyer Gazelle has announced the coming end of its trade-in program, which accepts people's old iPhones, iPads, and Macs in exchange for cash.

Gazelle.jpg

The company revealed the news in an email to customers, explaining that it will no longer offer its trade-in option from February 1, 2021. Customers have until January 31 to get a quote and complete a trade-in, while anyone who has already initiated a trade-in can expect it to continue as normal.
Beginning February 1st, 2021, we will no longer be offering our trade-in option on Gazelle. If you have a trade-in that is in process right now, your trade-in will continue as planned. You can also still log in to your account to view the status of your current trade-ins.

You will still be able to buy high quality used electronics for a fraction of the price from our online store. We're excited to continue to help you save with awesome prices on used smart devices!
In future, Gazelle intends to focus on its in-store ecoATM kiosks, which offer instant cash for devices, although they don't usually offer as much in return as customers would get through traditional trade-in programs.

The ecoATMs can be found in over 4,000 locations across the United States, and the company says the kiosks have collected more than 25 million devices, which equates to over 6 million pounds of e-waste.

Gazelle didn't give a reason for its decision to end its trade-in program, but several rival services have surged in popularity in recent years, including eBay's "Instant Selling" service and Apple's own trade-in program for Apple and other devices in exchange for credit toward a new Apple Store purchase.

(Thanks, Kenneth!)

Article Link: Gazelle's Used Device Trade-In Program to End Next Year

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
These guys have turned into crooks. They claimed my pristine ipad I had sent in had a blemished display and offered just a few bucks. I refused. When I got it back after refusing, it wasn't a display blemish, it had been what looked to be hammered on with the display totally destroyed with shattered glass in the bag. Payback for not taking the reduced value I guess. Still had three weeks of Applecare + left so not a total loss. They are conniving scumbags. Hopefully they will go completely out of business soon. The world doesn't need a company like this.

VermontsFinest

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Gazelle's trade in quotes have always been on the lower end. Only nice thing is they use to mail a box to you. There are a ton of smaller (and somewhat sketchy) trade in services that offer more.
I used them just for the free shipping box that I would then use to package my items up to a company that paid way more :D

ItsWorthMore and BuyBackWorld always paid out WAY more... plus if I recall BuyBackWorld pays over Venmo now for speedy transactions which was great.

Last edited:

Premium1

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2013
I used them once years ago, big mistake. It did not make economical sense to use them again for a trade in. Since that first try I always found another service that paid more. They won’t be missed.
Agree. They definitely ripped you off on trade ins.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
My guess is that more and more people are opting to trade in their devices to Apple directly.
Or to their cell provider. My wife upgraded from an 8 to 12 mini for “free with qualifying trade-in.” They charge for the new one and give her a credit on the same bill. Keeps her as a customer and isn’t exactly like a subsidized device, but pretty close. Credit depends on condition of the device body and display. Her’s was perfect, aside from a non-functional home button, and they are giving her full credit.

As an aside, the 12 mini is more impressive than I would’ve thought. As a 12 Pro Max user I would be happy with the 12 mini too. The size is fantastic and the screen is larger than I thought it would be in a device that small. Battery life (no 5G service) is better than the 8 it replaced when it had a fresh battery. She loves it.

Last edited:

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
My brother just sold his iPhone on Swappa the other day. Hopefully they don’t shut down either. o_O

ehrens

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2013
the 651
Their ecoATMs are a disaster too. I’ve yet to come across one that wasn’t out of order for an indefinite period.

Saturn007

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
From what's been posted here over the years, it seems Gazelle wasn't anywhere near as bad as Apple's trade-in service using Phobio.

There's a clue in that company's name — it brings to mind Phobos, one of the sons of the god of war who represents panic, flight and rout, or phobia, for fear, horror, and aversion — be fearful, very fearful!

Reactions: pdr733

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I used them just for the free shipping box that I would then use to package my items up to a company that paid way more :D

ItsWorthMore and BuyBackWorld always paid out WAY more... plus if I recall BuyBackWorld pays over Venmo now for speedy transactions which was great.
I did the same thing. However, depending on the device and the time of year there are a lot of smaller (hidden gem) companies that seem slightly sketchy that can payout even more.

Do you know which companies still offer free boxes? Serious question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.