GCSE Anyone ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Macmadant, May 12, 2007.

1. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Just wondered if anyone else is on the verge of taking there GCSE examinations ?

2. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Nope hahaha... except I have exams too :( Second year Uni.

Good luck! What are your chosen subjects? I chose Geog and Triple Science. Fun :D

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Yes:

Latin
    English Lit
    English Language
    Art
    History
    Italian
    Maths
    Double Science

I did French early last year :)

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

You sound like an arty linguist to me. What you gunna do in Uni? I'm doing International Management and German at Bath... They don't do Italian tho, just french spanish and german.

5. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

Nope but I've got my GCSE Mocks this week.

English Lit
    English Lang
    Maths
    Triple Science
    ICT
    Statistics
    Spanish
    Business
    Graphics
    Food Tech

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I have no idea what to do at Uni...or where to go...

I wanted to choose Spanish instead of History, but my school doesn't allow Spanish and Italian together...

7. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

English Lit
    English Language
    Maths
    Double Science
    Graphic Products
    R.E.
    I.C.T
    Geography
    Art
    I'm trying that thing where you listen to notes over night, and apparently its like 7 hours revision, i'm hoping to do well, although i think i have failed Art

8. Queso macrumors G4

Don't they just give them out like toffees these days? :D

9. 4nr- macrumors regular

4nr-

No, but I'm in the middle of my IB exams.
    So far I have finished:
    Swedish HL
    English HL
    European History HL
    Mathematical studies SL
    and still have economics HL and biology SL to go.

10. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

According to my 60 Year old English Teacher, who is an absolute genius, they are a hell of a lot harder than the ones he sat, he said older people like saying that to make themselves feel better, and he say's it annoy's him when people belittle our success

11. Queso macrumors G4

Of course he would say that though. If you all get despondent and stop trying, your grades will drop and he'll get fired :D

Look, I'm messing with you by repeating the nonsense the papers always say. I have GCSEs myself

12. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

;)

13. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I recall the newpaper's publishing old 'O Level' examination questions which were the equivalent of GCSE's back then. They were a LOT harder than the current GCSE's.

However, my parents couldn't answer GCSE questions, so it kind of works both ways.

I know when I sat my GCSE's...erm...3 years ago(?) they weren't that hard, and apparently they've only gotten easier if you believe the hype.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Your parents are a little out of practice I would think :)

The way that subjects are taught has changed, but those that say GCSEs are easier are normally looking at them from the perspective of someone who's gone on to study A levels.

15. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well The English teacher i referred to is the best Teacher in the school, and presuming the Reporters aren't Teachers, I'd value his opinion because he actually knows what he is talking about, i mean he's been a teacher for 40 years and he would know weather they've got harder or not, plus the equivalent of O-Level is a Grade C or Above at GCSE, so those getting less than a C aren't at O-level standards, and 56% of people get that C but 44% don't.

Just out of Interest What Grades did you achieve ?

16. bartelby macrumors Core

Kids now-a-days are taught how to answer questions rather than the understanding behind them. If you get what I mean.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Not sure about that. I can see how it would work in a subject such as Chemistry, but the only way to manage it in something like History would be if the teacher knew what would be on the exam paper beforehand.

18. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

1 A*, 2 A's, 3 B's and 5 C's. Not too shabby I reckon. Although by last year's results on average mine seem a bit low. :(

19. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sure if it were like that the country would have stopped functioning a few years after GCSEs were introduced, of course people understand it, also i feel in chemistry you have to understand something in order to give an answer, the older generation hate the thought of someone younger than them being smarter, i guess my teacher was right, so i'm just ignoring any more comments like that

20. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well done,
    I should be getting :
    1 A*
    3 A's
    5 B's
    2 Cs

21. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Right now, I'm going to a good school, so the pressure is on to get at least 8 A*s (and nothing below an A grade)...its not easy, and I don't believe anyone who says that O levels were harder...

22. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

hey small world :D

I'm doing GCSEs atm, just had my first one on thursday. Music IA evaluation. Ridiculously easy, but it is about my own song after all. Main Music exam in just under a week though :eek:

23. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Possibly harder but definitely different.

O levels were all down to the written exam which meant having to remember everything. GCSE mean more work but the coursework can be done using books / internet etc.

FJ

24. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I did do quite well in my Science coursework (55/60), but it was in class experiments, not book research.

History coursework is difficult, and so is English...I think they're harder than the written exams.

25. Macmadant thread starter macrumors 6502a

i got 53 in my science coursework
    and As + Bs in the english