Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GE today announced plans to take advantage of Apple's HomeKit platform, creating intelligent, color-changing LED lightbulbs that will interface with iOS devices. GE's HomeKit-compatible LED lightbulbs will include GE's Align technology, which aims to improve sleep through controlling blue light output at critical times.

During the day, the Align technology is able to mimic daylight to suppress the production of melatonin for a more awake feeling, adding bright blue tones to white light, and at night, blue light is reduced to promote melatonin production and avoid disrupting circadian sleep rhythms.

gealignlighting.jpg
"As we continue to grow our infrastructure business by connecting our brilliant industrial machines to the Internet, it is important that consumers experience connected things in easy-to-use, everyday ways. Lighting is how many first experiment with the idea of a smart home, and our insights show that consumers want the ability to control lighting from anywhere, automate lighting and pair lighting with other devices--like sensors, thermostats and door locks," says Comstock. "We're excited to announce our support for HomeKit as it will bring a seamless, intuitive user experience using Siri and superior quality of light from America's most trusted lighting brand for more than a century."
HomeKit is Apple's home control platform that will allow Apple devices to control various connected smart home products like lightbulbs, garage doors, locks, fans, thermostats, power outlets, and more. Users will be able to give Siri commands to perform actions that will control physical objects, such as "shut off the lights" or "close the garage," with the Apple TV serving as a home automation hub.

Through HomeKit, the GE bulbs will integrate with other HomeKit-connected devices and will be able to be controlled by voice using Siri. Lightbulbs will be available for individual control and can also be organized into groups for room-wide lighting scenes.

GE's upcoming lighting project will be a direct competitor to the Philips hue line of lights, which also allow consumers to choose lighting colors based on mood and control lights with their iOS devices. Philips is also one of Apple's HomeKit partners and plans to have its hue lighting system integrate with HomeKit.

Apple's HomeKit hardware specifications were finalized in October of 2014, further paving the way for the first HomeKit devices to come to market. In January, Apple said it was "excited" about the growing number of partners bringing HomeKit products to market. Some of those upcoming products include the iDevices smart plug, Elgato's range of connected home devices, and the Schlage Sense smart lock.

We still don't know when HomeKit-enabled devices will be widely available for purchase, but GE says that its lightbulbs will be available later in 2015.

Article Link: GE to Create Intelligent LED Lightbulbs Compatible with Apple HomeKit

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
When!??

I'm all set up with Hue bulbs through my whole house. All I've ever wanted is to be able to say "Hey Siri turn out all of the lights" as I go to bed and have it be so.

Why is it taking 2 years for Apple to release Homekit properly?!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I'm all set up with Hue bulbs through my whole house. All I've ever wanted is to be able to say "Hey Siri turn out all of the lights" as I go to bed and have it be so.

Well, I was an early Hue adopter, and I maintain that you may be placing the blame in the wrong place. My question, based on my largely disappointing experience with Hue would be, "Why is it taking Philips so long to get their stuff HomeKit enabled?"

Hue has been a kludge from day one, and while I didn't expect it to be the end all, be all as soon as I bought it I really thought and hoped Philips would have made better strides with it than they have.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
All of this HomeKit stuff sounds promising. Hopefully products start trickling out soon.

crxlurpiphone

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2015
Well, I was an early Hue adopter, and I maintain that you may be placing the blame in the wrong place. My question, based on my largely disappointing experience with Hue would be, "Why is it taking Philips so long to get their stuff HomeKit enabled?"

Hue has been a kludge from day one, and while I didn't expect it to be the end all, be all as soon as I bought it I really thought and hoped Philips would have made better strides with it than they have.

My neighbor and good friend is writing the new bridge firmware for homekit. Bad news for all of us with hue, we will need a new bridge in order to integrate with homekit when compete. I am just as frustrated since I bought my hue after the announcement that it would integrate so now I will have to buy another bridge.. Grrrr.

BostonQuad

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2015
<nitpick>
color-*changing*, not color-*charging*
</nitpick>

Although color-charging would be a cool alternative to wireless charging. :cool:

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire

i agree with you here but i do LOVE the syfy sync lots

melgross

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2004
New York City
Price baby, price!

All of this sounds great, but at what cost? I was early replacing incandescent with cfl, and have been experimenting with LED since the bulbs cost well over $100. Now that prices are reasonable, for the last year, or so, I've been moving to them.

But these multihue lights are still way too expensive considering the low output they have. Generally, with an average color, they seem equivalent to a 40 watt tungsten. That's not nearly good enough. While bulbs from Cree cost between $9 for 40 watt equiv. to $20 for 100 watt equiv.

Until prices for multihue bulbs come closer to those light levels and prices, they will be bought more for uniqueness than general utility.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

Hear Hear

I feel like most stuff in iOS 8 should be labeled BETA

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
<nitpick>
color-*changing*, not color-*charging*
</nitpick>

Although color-charging would be a cool alternative to wireless charging. :cool:

That's not nitpicking! Fixed that typo, thank you. Someone get on that color charging thing though.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
My neighbor and good friend is writing the new bridge firmware for homekit. Bad news for all of us with hue, we will need a new bridge in order to integrate with homekit when compete. I am just as frustrated since I bought my hue after the announcement that it would integrate so now I will have to buy another bridge.. Grrrr.

If buying a new bridge will help me get a better experience from my Hue bulbs I'm all in. I have $400+ invested in them now, and spending another ~$49 or so on a new bridge that brought better integration and user experience would not make me upset.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio

Amazon beat them to it, if you have an Echo you can do it now.

I think what is taking so long is Apple being Apple you have to use approved components for home kit, so any of your old stuff probably won't work.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Just what the world needs... another "connected" light bulb going for asinine amounts of money...

I guess it is a step in the right direction anyway as they didn't decide to just make up their own standard/app to control it all...

TheIguana

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2004
Canada
This sounds pretty similar to what f.lux does on my Mac right now, but as a whole house lighting system. Would be great if Apple would get off their butts and include native f.lux support in the next iOS version - that darn blue light on my iPad/iPhone sure doesn't help sleep patterns.

Too bad GE's system looks to be a two bulb system - one for AM and one for PM, not just one bulb that oscillates between different light temperature outputs.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
is this my inevitable house?

Attachments

• Apple_Store.JPG
    Apple_Store.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 165

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Does anyone know if the light bulbs are Z-Wave compatible?

----------

Or you can just do it from your Apple watch like how I do it
https://youtu.be/WqixyC6OyPw

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
hue changing light bulbs are totally a great idea.

they work in line with flux on your mac to help

wait a minute so we can get these bulbs that will work with homekit,

but what about ios, how come ios can't change the hue it emits?

apple really needs to work with flux to get that functionality into ios somehow because come on....

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
What people want is for lights to turn on as soon as the Garage door opens so the lights will be on as soon as you get into the house. Plus timed lights when you are not home too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.