Gee, does someone want us to see MI 3?

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
Wow, this site is plastered with Mission Impossible ads. Is there a Mac user to Tom Cruise connection that I don't know about?

I don't recall checking that box on the EULA.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I'm assuming by "this site" you mean MacRumors (which would also mean this goes into the Site Feedback forum). In any case, ads pay the bills. The people who want you to see it are the movie studio, actors, and theaters, and they pay to advertise a movie on a site that they think contains a number of people who would enjoy the movie.

Whether or not they're correct on that assumption may be another question, but I'm sure MR appreciates the funding.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh that's nothing. You should have seen what happened during the breaks for the first 2 episodes of Lost series 2 in the UK

"Hi, I'm JJ Graham *sorry forgot name* if you like Lost you might like this, enjoy *cue Miiii trailer*"

Not good. Very annoying. Silly Channel 4. But somebody reaaally wants you to see Miiii. It's either going to be very good or very bad to deserve a stint during adverts like that.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2003
I think you misunderstand me. ;)

I am well aware of who wants me to see the movie. I was only commenting on the apparent fact that the marketers believe Mac users are apt to see the film. Which, in my case, is dead wrong. :)

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Onizuka said:
Tom Cruise is a douchebag scientologist. That's all there is to it. Boycott these people. Their movies, books, and shows. Show them that they won't repress our entertainment for the sake of their cracked-out religion.
That's like saying "Boycott movies with black people in them because I don't like black people" (I am not a racist nor a supporter of scientology). I have no problem with Tom Cruise nor his religion, I think it's lunacy to not see something because someone's religion off screen.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
There is typically a direct correlation to how good a movie is versus it's prevalence in a media blitz. For example, I expect "RV" to be quite terrible. MI3 as well.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
yellow said:
There is typically a direct correlation to how good a movie is versus it's prevalence in a media blitz. For example, I expect "RV" to be quite terrible. MI3 as well.
I thought "RV" was pretty funny.

yg17

macrumors G5
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
jimsowden said:
That's like saying "Boycott movies with black people in them because I don't like black people" (I am not a racist nor a supporter of scientology). I have no problem with Tom Cruise nor his religion, I think it's lunacy to not see something because someone's religion off screen.
The difference is, is that scientology is a cult. I'd rather not give my money to a cult or any of its members, let them pay for the cyanide and kool aid with their own damn money.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Onizuka said:
Tom Cruise is a douchebag scientologist. That's all there is to it. Boycott these people. Their movies, books, and shows. Show them that they won't repress our entertainment for the sake of their cracked-out religion.
All I can say is amen to that brother :D

Nuc

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
jimsowden said:
Except that "black people" as an organization don't use their weight to stop parodies. Remember, the NAACP does not represent all black Americans. On the other hand, the church of scientology does represent all scientologists...

XNine

macrumors 68040
sushi said:
Hey, freedom of religion right?!
And he's free to be that. But I for one will not tolerate ANY religion to oppose humor just because it's offensive. I could give a damn if he worshipped a potato, just as long as he didn't say I couldn't eat them anymore.

I sure as hell won't give them any more of my money as long as their willing to stifle the entertainment industry.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
igucl said:
Wow, this site is plastered with Mission Impossible ads. Is there a Mac user to Tom Cruise connection that I don't know about?

I don't recall checking that box on the EULA.

Up your nose with a rubber hose™.

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I might see it in the off chance Tom Cruise will be tortured. On the other hand I find most religions stupid. I'm not sure why the idea of a spaceship with a mighty-alien-ruler is any different than the idea of an all-knowing, all-doing God.

Kingsly

macrumors 68040
sushi said:
Hey, freedom of religion right?!
Yes, but not freedom from complete idiocy:
In Scientology doctrine, Xenu (also Xemu) is an alien ruler of the "Galactic Confederacy" who, 75 million years ago, brought billions of people to Earth, stacked them around volcanoes and blew them up with hydrogen bombs. Their souls then clustered together and stuck to the bodies of the living, and continue to cause problems today.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Kingsly said:
Oh I don't know... tons of historical evidence pointing to the latter?
Like? There's lots of historical evidence that Zeus existed too, but how many of us believe that one?