Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
Yes, I read it but then didn't re-read it - genuine error. So what does that 500 score cover for your daily personal needs?

I find the 500 range to be just enough for modern internet use. Anything else is usually less taxing. I'm sure I could make due with less power, but I'd likely then save internet use for a faster system.
[doublepost=1558275814][/doublepost]
@timidpimpin, you’re being awful extra there. @Dronecatcher was not out of order. The phrasing of your question and the baseline number you suggested were completely unrelated to one another. C’mon.

I never claimed he was "out of order" at all. Simply that he wasn't comprehending my question properly. I write a lot of science papers... so I tend to write in an open-ended fashion.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I find the 500 range to be just enough for modern internet use. Anything else is usually less taxing. I'm sure I could make due with less power, but I'd likely then save internet use for a faster system.

As ever, it's the javascript that I find the biggest stumbling block - a site that requires none can be handled by a modest machine.
Bizarrely, running the mobile Youtube javascript free is effective and handled even on low end G3s.

Last edited:
[doublepost=1558275814][/doublepost]

I never claimed he was "out of order" at all. Simply that he wasn't comprehending my question properly. I write a lot of science papers... so I tend to write in an open-ended fashion.

Do you need a copy editor? :D I write research for scholarship and also technical writing for enterprise hardware. (I’m serious about all this, except on one point: I’m not for hire.)

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Simply that he wasn't comprehending my question properly.

To be pedantic, I understood the question but interpreted it differently - still seemed like a question hypothesizing over an objective score.
The question, "What would people personally see as a minimum level of performance or score for a daily machine?" I'd have written as: "What would people see as a minimum level of performance or score for their own personal daily needs?"

Reactions: B S Magnet

timidpimpin

Suspended
Nov 10, 2018
Cascadia
As ever, it's the javascript that I find the biggest stumbling block - a site that requires none can be handled by a modest machine.
Bizarrely, running the mobile Youtube javascript free is effective and handled even on low end G3s.

Isn't is funny that the very thing that gave the internet more functionality - scripts - is also the thing that semi-broke it for those with older hardware? Even some newer hardware struggles. A good friend has a Dell desktop with an i5 7500 with 8GB RAM, and even it struggles with some script-heavy sites.

My main personal internet machine is a 2009 MacBook 6,1 (2.26GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, SSD, El Capitan), and with uBlock origin added to Firefox it handles anything I throw at it online. This system scores around 2600 in Geekbench 4.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I need portability, and my other portable is a 2005 PowerBook 12" 1.5GHz, which scores well above 500. I remember it getting around 840.

I survived on my 1.33Ghz Powerbook for a month this year and although it coped initially with all my usual websites, once you added someone else into the mix looking at other random sites, that's where it fell down - you'd enter into a dance of force quitting and then switching browsers/turning off javascript/changing user agents etc. All workable but further and further away from being comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.