geez, everything is just so confusing..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by htownrockets, Jun 27, 2008.

1. htownrockets macrumors member

Okay, so I just got my MacBook Pro today and since the time I've turned it on, I've been confused.

First, I would like to say, how much would it be to have a Apple Em. replace my 120 GB HD with a 250 one?

Second, if I download something such as Firefox, will it save in the dock?

Third, How do I add something to the Dock?

Fourth, How can I make my stack folders appear?

Fifth, If I download a software where will it appear?

Sixth, How do I create a new folder?

Seventh, If I have all these files, software, etc.. on my other computer, and transfer it to the MBP, where will it appear?

Eighth, I'm sorry if I sound like a total noob, it's just that I have been using Windows forever and just switched to Mac for the sake of my photography.

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

1 Dunno about that as i've always done it myself,but there are plenty of apple certified shops/people that do,just get on google to find one in your area

2 When you download firefox a window appears,open it then drag the icon to your application folder which can be found in finder

3 To add something to the dock just drag it from wherever it is and drop in the dock to left side of the dashed line

4 To make a stack just drag your app/utilities folder to the right side of the dashed line or a new folder you have created

5 Usually on the desktop open it then put the icon your application folder first then drag it to the dock,left side to have icon in dock or leave it in app folder to be part of stack or you could make a new folder and put it on the dock

6 By right clicking on the desktop to set up right clicking go to system preferences > keyboard & mouse > trackpad tab > for secondary clicks

7 probably easiest to transfer to a external then to your Mac,in the link the other user posted look at the video tutorials move to Mac

Eighth, I'm sorry if I sound like a total noob, it's just that I have been using Windows forever and just switched to Mac for the sake of my photography.

No worries as plenty of people ask these questions

3. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

thanks man, really appreciate it.

Another 2..

How do I right click?

Finally, it seems like after an hour of being on the laptop, it's very hot at the bottom..what's wrong?

4. G-Com macrumors regular

All that is good advice from Neill. However, for moving files from one place to another, I would really take advantage of OS X's spring-loaded folders. Click Finder in the toolbar and click Preferences. Set the spring-loaded folders and windows slider all the way to the left. That way, you can just drag a file over an icon or a folder and POOF, it'll open.

Some apps will, by default, create a download folder in your Home folder. The DownloadHelper add-on for Firefox does that.

Spaces, however, I'm not a fan of to be honest. It seems like a throwaway application to boost Leopard's features count. I have Exposé keyed to my mouse's scrollwheel button and that's sufficient.

However, I concur about the folders in the dock. I have my Documents and Pictures folder in there and have the view option set to list.

And don't worry about sounding like a newbie. We were all newbies once. Heck, I'm scared of just opening the Terminal. :eek: I must sound like a wuss to the Unix geeks here. :eek:

You ask, you learn. The ethical posters here won't make fun of you. They might, on rare occasion, tell you to read a manual or use the OS X help feature.

5. G-Com macrumors regular

Right-click menu: hold down the Control key and click. :)

As for the heat... laptops do tend to generate more of it than desktop units.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

1) Hold the ctrl key and click.
    2) Yes, it gets warm.

7. G-Com macrumors regular

;)

If you had a scrollwheel mouse, you could zoom in on stuff using it and the Control key. The scrollwheel and Option key lets you go back and forth between open pages in a window or tab. :)

8. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

Is the hotness normal?

and how come everything I download..(sorry to say this, but like torrents, music only) it goes to slow and it doesn't go directly to the bit? Like I try to set my Torrent bit as a app..but it doesn't work..

Again, How do I remove apps from the dock? Like sometimes when I drag it to remove it just slides back..

9. G-Com macrumors regular

Torrents are a no-no subject here. ;) ;) ;)

You have to quit the apps first to remove them from the dock.

I don't know how hot the laptop is getting. If it's too hot to touch or there is burning of the case or an odd smell or noise from within, then you should get it looked at.

10. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Oh nearly forgot if your concerned about heat here are a couple of apps that will help

smcFanControl this you can use to set your fans

istatpro this is a widget that you can open with your dashboard that monitors fans temps memory usage etc

and just for luck this is a list of progs and apps that im sure you will find useful

have fun and enjoy your new Mac

11. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

To remove a app from the dock right click on it > remove from dock that will perm remove it or to quit it click quit either again by right clicking or in the menu bar

torrenting is not really discussed on here

12. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

alright thanks guys..I understand about the torrents..

What is the equivalent to Windows Movie Makers?

Alright thanks..

13. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

iMovie?

14. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

alright cool.

Okay, sorry but 2 more questions..

How do I remove the icons on the desktop? Or where do I put them?

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

As swiftaw just posted iMovie again in your apps folder in finder or hopefully now your made a stack of it in there

16. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Put them in your app or utilities folder

don't worry about asking questions

if you mean the image of a drive right click & eject

17. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

To remove an app from the dock, it has to not be open. Just click and Drag it onto the desktop. It'll have a little poof under your pointer.

If you want to move them, it should let you do that anytime. Just make sure it's not a stack.

If you want to put them back, just look under Macintosh HD and it's in the application folder. If you ever want to delete an app, just move it's icon from the application folder to the trash can on the dock.

A stack in a folder that is on the right side of the dock. I suggest moving the applications folder there. It'll allow you to view all the applications on the computer at one time. I personally just use the dock for my most commonly used applications.

Not sure if this was really answered, but you can also right click by taping an icon with two fingers.

18. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

htownrockets have you now read your way through this thread and understood everything???

19. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

Yeah man, I've and understood everything. Thank you all and I wish somehow I could repay you guys..so I leave you with one more question..:)

Okay, if I've downloaded something, and it's in the download folder, where can I put it so that it doesn't show up when I click on the download folder on the dock? Or is it always there?

One more, If I'm using a Core Duo MBP with 2 GHz and 2 GB of RAM and I upgrade the RAM? And if I do upgrade the HDD will it clear everything I have now?

20. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

this is a community and were all here to help

Make a seperate stack of your download folder once you have installed the prog or app you can then delete it ( the file that is not the folder )

As for RAM what are you going to be using your computer for? as it's a waste of money if your not using it scrub that the Max for that model is 2GB

If you want a bigger or faster HDD then yes it will clear everything but there are ways to clone over to a new drive and then swap them,it would be best to ask this when the time comes

21. htownrockets thread starter macrumors member

I'm going to be using this computer for the obvious stuff (Internet, Music, etc..) but also post processing for my photography work. Like Photoshop, LR, etc..

Yeah, I'm thinking about upgrading my HDD this Sunday..

22. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

The model you stated has a max of 2GB of RAM

If your thinking about upgrading the drive then

Buy an enclosure for it

put the new drive in the enclosure

get on google and download either carbon copy cloner or superduper

follow instruction to clone old to new

boot from new drive to make sure it's ok

take out old drive, take the new drive out of the enclosure

put the new drive in your notebook

and the old one in the enclosure so you now have a new external

23. G-Com macrumors regular

No payment necessary, Htown. :) Just give it some time and things will begin to make sense. I don't think it would hurt to buy a magazine dedicated to the Macintosh (if your local store has them) or subscribe to one of them.

In a lot of ways, I'm still learning.

24. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

For the OP, I've found that with a lot of everyday tasks, just ask yourself how you would expect to do something as a human, not as a Windows user. We've all been beat by some pretty arcane UI practices that weren't, well, normal. Most Mac tasks follow the rule of "how would you do this if it were something on your real desk?"

Granted, it's not all that obvious anymore, but try goofing around with "safe" files, ones that you create yourself to experiment with. See what happens with different key combinations as you click, drag, etc.

A big step to familiarizing yourself with the environment is from the Help menus, the online tutorials from Apple, and going into System Preferences, and just seeing all the little details that are there.

Have fun, don't be afraid to experiment (but stay out of Terminal for a while--you're under the hood at that point!), and remember, we're open 24/7 here!