Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacPaw, the developers behind the Setapp store, have released a major update to their award-winning duplicate finder app, Gemini 2, in the form of a real-time duplicates monitor.

Gemini2-duplicates-monitor-alert.jpg

The Duplicates Monitor, which appears as a menu bar item and runs in the background, identifies identical files as they're added to macOS, including pictures, videos, documents, and audio files.

When a duplicate is recognized, Duplicates Monitor immediately notifies users about the new unwanted copy, presenting them with an option to remove the duplicate files, before they start cluttering Mac disk space.

If the user skips the alert, they still have the opportunity to go back to the last three instances when the duplicates were created via the Gemini 2 app, since the Duplicates Monitor only watches for unwanted copies in the locations that have been cleaned with Gemini 2.
gemini2-duplicates-monitor.jpg
"Duplicate files not only occupy valuable disk space but also make the system slow. For large amounts of duplicates, the scanning process can be time-consuming and resource-demanding," says Oleksandr Kosovan, CEO of MacPaw. "With the Duplicates Monitor, users will now be able to keep the duplicate files to a minimum, making their Macs faster and more organized and sparing disk space for things that really matter."
The Duplicates Monitor is a free update for existing Gemini 2 users and will be available starting today. Gemini 2 is available on the Mac App Store and the MacPaw website, and is also available in Setapp, the subscription-based service for macOS applications, which has plans starting at $9.99 a month.

Article Link: Gemini 2 for Mac Gains Real-Time Duplicate Files Monitor With Alerts

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2016
I hate all these apps running in the background. Even Chrome insists on running in the background to check every hour for upgrade. One background process doesn't matter, but all of these together keep waking the OS to call home and take up CPU, WiFi traffic etc. It's like each developer thinks the user will only be running his app and then this doesn't matter!

fumi2014

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
California
I would rather they have spent the time on getting a native Apple Silicon version out. Having said that, looking in activity monitor, it doesn't seem to really impact at all when monitoring a chosen folder.

Reactions: gnomeisland

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
So..correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this basically useless on APFS? Copied files take up only metadata space (a few KB, if even that much.) Deleting the "dupe" won't actually free up any storage afaik.
I was going to make a similar comment. If this is finding duplicates that aren’t ghost copies under APFS but then MAKES them that way, it would be worth the money IMHO. Not mentioning the (admittedly limited deduplicaltion) on APFS is weird.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Wow, $45 for a license for a duplicate file finder utility. It looks really cool, I don't really have this issue but man, that seems like a big hunk of change.

I do pay for a lot of software.
Over the years I have managed to accumulate a lot of photos and music. For some unknown reason, many of these files would get duplicated. Gemini is a great tool for dealing with this. The only drawback, now that things have been cleaned up, is the duplicates I keep getting reminded about are my back up copies. That gets annoying after a while.

Aside from that, it's great tool to have.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
So..correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this basically useless on APFS? Copied files take up only metadata space (a few KB, if even that much.) Deleting the "dupe" won't actually free up any storage afaik.
Not quite.

If you go through the process of actually duplicating a file then that's the behaviour. However, if I copied a load of photos off an SD card on to my desktop, then four weeks later accidentally copied them again, then they'll be handled as different files.

While the files will technically be identical, the file system won't handle them that smartly - maybe one day.

Reactions: hxlover904 and mhnd

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I hate all these apps running in the background. Even Chrome insists on running in the background to check every hour for upgrade. One background process doesn't matter, but all of these together keep waking the OS to call home and take up CPU, WiFi traffic etc. It's like each developer thinks the user will only be running his app and then this doesn't matter!

Yeah, they're the worst, you can tell with google and adobe how they basically hijack your computer with a load of unoptimized demons, processes, startup checks, etc... I despise deep .pkg installable as you never know exactly what have they installed and you'll probably never going to get rid of all the splinters, even if you just used the damned thing once. Zoom is also up on the list. They're border-line malware.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Yeah, they're the worst, you can tell with google and adobe how they basically hijack your computer with a load of unoptimized demons, processes, startup checks, etc... I despise deep .pkg installable as you never know exactly what have they installed and you'll probably never going to get rid of all the splinters, even if you just used the damned thing once. Zoom is also up on the list. They're border-line malware.
Zoom - with the "installer" that installed the core application at the prerequisite check stage. I hate that software.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I wonder what the privacy of this is to anaylise every single file you have..

Great rickroll screenshot :)

Reactions: hxlover904

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
I'm not an anti-subscription type, but dang...

Why does a duplicate finder require a monthly subscription??

The article says Gemini 2 is available through Setapp, which starts at $9.99 a month. (This isn’t the only thing you get from Setapp.) You can also purchase Gemini 2 on the App Store or directly from MacPaw.

Anyway, there are already plenty of free Apple Scripts that can find duplicate files so I’m not sure Gemini is worth the money.

Reactions: The Barron

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Gemini also finds "similar" files (such as two photos of the same subject). I got it as part of a software bundle, but wouldn't pay $45 for it separately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.