General consensus on battery life of the 6?

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
I know there's 80 million threads touching on one issue or another related to this, but I'm curious if there's an overall consensus on the battery life of iphone 6. I was disappointed when I heard that Apple projected an only 10 or 15% or whatever improvement in battery life and was using language like "same or better battery life" when they announced the phone; I was hoping for much more.

So, is the 6 performing about 15% better than previous models like Apple claimed? Is it exceeding that? Falling short of it? Has any reliable data begun to emerge from the vast majority of users to tell us where this phone is really at in real world battery performance?

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
I've really only gotten a couple days use out of my 6, but I have noticed that the battery is slightly better than my 5s was. It's not a drastic difference, but I certainly noticed it throughout the day while at work.

lonePar

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
I've been very happy with my battery life and I've come over from a HTC One M8.

Pluto88888

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2014
Battery life amazing on iPhone 6 took me 7 Hours coach ride to drain from 100% to 0% on 4G only with 40% brightness and bluetooth on.
5 Hours Tuneinradio
2 Hours Safari web surfing

Old iPhone 5s didn't even last 4 Hours on 4G streaming.

Last edited:

pish6969

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
As long as you have a place to sleep, battery shouldn't be a concern.

Lasts all day and charge it at night. Not sure why a battery needs to last 2-3 days, when everyone that's not homeless should have a socket in their homes for when they sleep.

Now if you're not getting a full day (while you awake), that's a different story

..the voice of reason

allen.stark.5

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
I burn my battery down to about 30% while at work during the day on my 6. I wish it was better. My 5s would need a charge by 1Pm after being taken off the charger at 6am. So I usually take my 6 off the charger at 6am then plug it back in around 4pm and get it back up to about 75% to last me the rest of the night. Can't wait till my 6 plus gets here as I hope it will last me a full day.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
i haven't noticed much of an improvement in battery since my first iphone (4). it's never enough. i'm a fairly heavy user and never make it through a day. so i just don't think about it and keep a charger around at all times.

Zaft

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I know there's 80 million threads touching on one issue or another related to this, but I'm curious if there's an overall consensus on the battery life of iphone 6. I was disappointed when I heard that Apple projected an only 10 or 15% or whatever improvement in battery life and was using language like "same or better battery life" when they announced the phone; I was hoping for much more.

So, is the 6 performing about 15% better than previous models like Apple claimed? Is it exceeding that? Falling short of it? Has any reliable data begun to emerge from the vast majority of users to tell us where this phone is really at in real world battery performance?
So far i have around 50% left at around 8 pm. Its much better then my Iphone 5.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
Just take a look at the Battery Usage list every once in a while. It will show you which apps are consuming the most. You can then take those off of background refresh or get rid of them altogether if they are buggy.

Rocketpaul

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
London
Lets just say the battery life isn't a stand out feature. It probably get you through the day, same old story as most smartphones.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I charge overnight and use my phone all day.

with my 5S I use to be around 15-20% around bed time

with my 6 I am around 40% at the same time so significantly better

This of course varies depending on my usage throughout the day but those were my most common numbers

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
So far the battery life seems better. On my 5S I could go for 2 days, sometimes 3 or even more, on a charge, so I wasn't unhappy with its battery. However, so far with my 6 I have easily gone 3 days between charging. Obviously I don't use it as much as many others do....

noej

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2014
I never owned an iPhone before but I would say it's decent.

I was able to play Monster Hunter for over 6 hours with brightness on half with wifi enabled across 2 or 3 days (rest on standby). Brought the phone down to 10% from full charge.

I'm having some issues with my iPhone atm so haven't bothered uploading stuff onto it too much because I'm going to exchange it. Not to mention I'm not really using it the way I would like to atm because I have to keep it pristine in order to exchange it. So been just gaming on it whenever I got time.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2013
I think battery on the 6 is significantly better than the 5S. 5s was a true Piece of chiiittt in battery life. Had to charge 2-3 times a day.

----------

i haven't noticed much of an improvement in battery since my first iphone (4). it's never enough. i'm a fairly heavy user and never make it through a day. so i just don't think about it and keep a charger around at all times.
You need a 6plus or a note 4.

Ashtar

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
Mine is great. I use my phone a lot, probably more than I should, and the battery life is fantastic. I honestly don't understand what some people do with their damn phones throughout the day that drains it by the afternoon. If you are using your phone that much, you have bigger problems than battery life.

richardbb85

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2009
So far the battery life seems better. On my 5S I could go for 2 days, sometimes 3 or even more, on a charge, so I wasn't unhappy with its battery. However, so far with my 6 I have easily gone 3 days between charging. Obviously I don't use it as much as many others do....
2-3 days and you werent happy....why dont you invent sth that last a week. people makes me smdh everytime on this forum. i be happy if i can get thru a day without chargin more than once.

heycal

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2013
Now if you're not getting a full day (while you awake), that's a different story
That's been the case with me and iphone 4, and with the people I know who have the 5S. They must re-charge at some point. So I'm afraid of the same thing happening with the 6.

This sounds more realistic...

Lets just say the battery life isn't a stand out feature. It probably get you through the day, same old story as most smartphones.
Well, some of the bigger ones are real monsters allegedly. Like the LG G2, and Droid Maxx.

It's awesome!!!
That screenshot of usage you posted doesn't seem so great to me. Were you being sarcastic?

Anyways, based on responses so far, I don't think there is a consensus yet...

----------

I've really only gotten a couple days use out of my 6, but I have noticed that the battery is slightly better than my 5s was. It's not a drastic difference, but I certainly noticed it throughout the day while at work.
This may be closest to what one can expect, and is in line with Apple's own projections, so I should probably use this as my guide: A little bit better than the 5s, not a drastic difference.