General Consumer Reactions to iOS 7

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by 3282868, Jul 30, 2013.

1. 3282868, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2013

3282868 macrumors 603

UPDATE: read the comments below before posting as some felt it necessary to aggressively refer to me as "nuts", "weird" and a "liar" for merely posting a subjective thread on casual remarks. This is NOT a scientific study as a few claim. I will try not to use "passive voice" which I did to shorten my posting, now it appears I need to be more concise. It is a shame I need to spend time re-writing my post for some in order to avoid confusion and general offense :)

I realize this may qualify as an NDA breach, but I wanted to compile general consumer reactions to the new iOS 7 GUI. Most of us are tech savvy and place little emphasis on GUI modifications; we adapt quicker, yet it is crucial to report general consumer feedback during testing as this is Apple's biggest market.

I decided on selecting (to be more clear, selecting the number of individuals who asked to have their feedback sent) a multi-demographical group of friends, family, colleagues (as diverse as can be, I mentioned this in order to dismiss any possible remarks requesting a more significant analysis, and let's be honest, this is not a scientific study), roughly 71 individuals over a five day period (emphasis on "roughly"). I allowed use of my iPhone 5 for a half hour to 45 mins while at work and with friends on non work hours (let me also mention some used my 4S overnight and my other 5 model for longer for those who called this into question), and had some fill out a short answer survey I spent 5 minutes writing and sending via email (at their suggestion).

Noted Remarks:

- Low Contrast. Many remarked that the lighter grey's, whites, and yellows in System Settings, core app's, etc. negatively impaired usage. Many struggled with managing through System Settings, Notes, Calendar.

- Safari. Only a few people thought the new Safari page layouts were acceptable. Others found it to be a poor attempt for a "3D" design and preferred the previous method, also used in Safari 7 for 10.9 (pinching out on OS X trackpad zooms out in Safari, allowing users to swipe to another page in the same browser window).

- Navigation. Replacing buttons with floating text and symbols was the biggest issue. Not one person preferred blue text and "<" symbols for navigating.

- Too much white. The "Music" app had the lowest rating. Many struggled with red text and icons for active sections and light grey/dimmed text/icons for other sections. The lines separating playlists, tracks, etc and ">" to select were too "light", making it difficult to navigate.

- Multitasking. Sliding between open apps and waiting for the app to center in a "bouncy" animation in order to select it or swipe up to close was "fun" and "cute," but some thought it hindered usability.

Roughly 57 individuals did not like the UI at all. Some went as far as to state it will be a deciding factor in future purchasing of iOS based devices, many claiming it will disenfranchise Apple's iOS product line. The new options and features were unanimously approved, however the overall UI was the main deciding factor. People resist change, that's common, however this wasn't simply a matter of needing time to adjust.

I've reported UI bugs, as well as many others. If simple modifications are not addressed, based on general observations, iOS 7 may not be the slam dunk Apple hopes.

________

Ok, in response to some calling my post into question, calling me "nuts" or "weird", and just generally dismissing it as "lies," let me clarify with my posted responses:

I'm really stunned that a few seem so offended and disturbed that they have analyzed my post and have concluded a conspiracy theory that I must be lying, am "nuts", or some other xxxxx excuse. It is merely a simple subjective post, nothing more. I did not go door to door and "survey" people. Some asked to have their opinions sent to Apple beyond the general feedback link, but through my developer account. Simple. :)

2. bbfc, Jul 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2013

bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Interesting, but Apple will not be changing the overall UI now. This is what we will get when the GM is released (less a few tweaks probably).

Some tasks indeed take longer, but they needed to overhaul it. iOS had been stale for years with people crying out for a complete change, and some of what they have achieved it pretty impressive. I restored back to iOS 6 yesterday and it was just awful - the gloss, the UI, it felt so antiquated. You suddenly realise the polished/premium look is just awful when compared to iOS 7. (well in my opinion it does).

iOS 7 may lack the 'Premium/polished' feel of previous iOS, but any change is going to take a while to get used to.

I am happy with what Apple have done (a few tweaks are needed), but the overall UI is impressive.

Watching the video from WWDC when they got a standing ovation was pretty amazing (it gave me goosebumps! sad I know). :)

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Were the people crying out for change really a majority, or was it just a vocal minority? I, for one, was perfectly fine with iOS as it was up to 6, and never felt it was stale or needed an overhaul.

4. ZacNicholson macrumors 6502a

ZacNicholson

i was the same way.

5. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

I am convinced that at least 30 of those 57 individuals will began to change their mind within 3 weeks of constant use. Initial impressions of anything that has substantially changed, especially something as engrained as the previous iOS, will always be met with negativity.

Slowly, through heavy use, more and more 'non-tech savvy' people will come to love iOS 7.

6. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Exactly. People will learn to use it and become accustomed to how it works.

7. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Hopefully those things will be fixed or altered slightly before final release. All the white is not gonna change.

The animations are still an issue when trying to quickly do things. Always having to wait for a silly animation to finish is just counter productive. What doesnt make sense is why they only tweak it ever so slightly with each beta. JUST MAKE THEM FASTER!

8. fivedots macrumors 6502a

While I like iOS 7, I personally feel that Apple should have tackled these changes more incrementally.

They are going for the big splash of "wow, this is new and exciting" which is always risky, though I have little doubt that people will adapt in this case.

I think the biggest challenge is that they are moving from an interface that has been tested and tweaked for 5+ years to something completely new. It will take some time to achieve the same status.

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I think what I meant was they needed to do something to iOS.

iOS 6 looked fine when it was the latest and greatest, but when you use iOS 7 for a while and go back, iOS 6 suddenly becomes very tacky looking with all its gloss etc.

10. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I love iOS 7 on my iPhone 4S, but for some reason I'm not feeling the same "attachment" to it on my iPad. The thing about iOS 5/6 is that despite being the same, iOS on iPad felt "different" from the iPhone version, at least to me.

I find it hard to put into words, but the best I can do is that iOS 5 and 6 on iPad never "felt" like a blown up iPhone version, whereas iOS 7 does.

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I'd rather they changed it all at once, then doing it incrementally. One big splash.

12. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

While I appreciate your data collection, I call bs on that. Its much easier to flick away apps with the thumb than to hold one down to make them wiggle and whack their X.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's a subjective opinion. I find that after spending some time with iOS 7, when I go back to iOS 6, I sigh in relief, like, "Thank god, I can see things again!" Of course, my reaction is also just another subjective opinion.

14. fivedots macrumors 6502a

I personally would rather it too, but I am thinking beyond the denizens of a technology rumour forum.

15. johnseattle macrumors member

I agree as someone who has run IOS7 since it was released most people that notice it on my phone are like "meh, looks kinda girly and washed out now". I do think the more you use it the more "ok" it gets. Still don't think it's a huge improvement graphically over ios6

16. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sure, it's faster when you want to close apps, but how often do you need to close apps in iOS? Most of the time, all I want to do is to switch apps, and the old way was faster at just switching apps.

17. spacehog371 macrumors regular

I would expect this, as people always moan and groan when something is changed. Consumer reactions after 30 minutes of use aren't that valuable.

18. fivedots macrumors 6502a

You would not believe the massive number of "general consumers" who are under the impression that closing apps is something they need to be doing regularly.

19. johnseattle macrumors member

I like the old way better too, the new one is all window dressing.

20. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Tablet optimization takes a while to complete. Especially, iPad version is 1 beta behind. I have seem some positive changes since beta 2. At least calendar is better.

I do hope they get ride of the ugly yellow text on Note app.

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

Agreed. I wasn't thrilled at first but once I started using it, I really came to like the design and so much so that going back to iOS 6.1.4 made me wish I was running iOS 7.

----------

This exactly.

----------

Agreed. Plus, you can get rid of three at a time if you want to.

22. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

I am note sure about that. Let's see what would happen after general availability. To say people will learn to use it and become accustomed to how it works, it isn't always true. It certainly not applied to Windows 8. I always felt Windows 8 is under-rated, but that might just me.

23. fivedots macrumors 6502a

The new presentation takes the emphasis off closing apps and helps lessen the idea that it is something that you need to or should be doing.

24. dugbug macrumors 65816

dugbug

Not to me.... its far easier to identify with the window I was working than the icon. For example a remote desktop app to my mac is instantly recognizable than the ... I don't even know the name of the app I use lol.

I just don't understand the complaint at all. You still get the icons, and you can flick very fast through them.

25. jonnyb098 macrumors 68020

Agreed. ALL THAT WHITE! BLEH! They really need to re-think how it looks slightly on the iPad. Glaring giant white screens is not exactly soothing to the eye.

----------

Showed it to someone today and the first reaction is....it looks kiddish.