General iPhone questions for first time user

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sportsfrk214, Oct 5, 2011.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I've owned 3 different iPod Touches over the past 4 years so I've become sort of an expert in using iOS as it relates to that device. However I'm finally going to be getting an iPhone and I now realize there are some basic iOS things related to the iPhone that I do not know. I thought maybe I could get some help.

1. If I have Wi-Fi turned on and I am connected to a network, will the iPhone automatically use that instead of 3G? For example when I'm home my iPod automatically connects to my home network. If my iPhone is connected to 3G and my Wi-Fi network at home, will it automatically use Wi-Fi?

2. Does an iPhone running on Verizon's network have Visual Voicemail?

3. Can you make your own ringtones? Or do you have to buy them?

4. In the SMS app, can you lock certain texts? Or along the same lines, when you go to delete texts, can you "select all" and then uncheck certain ones from being deleted? For example sometimes I have a lengthy texting conversation and at the end of it I want to delete all the texts except for one or two that I want to keep for a bit. Is there anyway I can avoid simply having to check off all 100 texts I don't want?

5. Can you send texts to multiple people? If so, how?

..and lastly, 6. When I get my new iPhone, is the set-up simple, and does it let me use my phone right away? What I mean to say is, in ten minutes can I go from texting from my old phone to texting on my new iPhone? Does the service switch over immediately?

Thanks for any answers. Can't wait to get my 4S :apple:

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

see red

3. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I'm a first-time iPhone user too, and wanted to ask a question.

How "tied" is the Apple ID to the iPhone? My whole family (including me) uses only one email address, hence we only have one Apple ID. The whole family uses an iMac and an iPad with that Apple ID.

I want this iPhone to be just for me. I may create my own email address. I would like the Apple ID that everyone currently uses to be mine. If I buy a 4S right now, create my own email address (with an @me.com name) and want to change the email address on the current family Apple ID account, but don't want them to make anymore purchases off of my account, will this be a pain?

The headaches of trying to organize account-based Apple IDs almost ruins the product experience for me.

4. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

The same apple ID can be used for multiple iPhones. Be sure to authorize iTunes for the ID and you can sync same apps to all phones,

5. soco macrumors 68030

soco

That was kind of confusing, but if you're trying to use the same account and have a different set of purchases, you can't.

All you can do is make a new Apple ID via iCloud with an @me.com name and set up your credit card on that, keeping it separate from your family's.

6. applefan289 macrumors 68000

If I were to do this, would this mean certain devices that are the family's (like the iPad and iMac) be tied to their Apple ID, whereas my 4S would be tied to only mine? What if I want to buy a song on iTunes using the family iMac? Would I sign in under my Apple ID?

Sorry if I sound stupid, but I like to sort everything out before I take the plunge very soon.

7. androiphone macrumors 65816

it depends who want to 'own' all the apps you have bought from that apple ID, if you are going to then just change the password to that account and it is then yours, and if you leave itunes authorised than any device that syncs with itunes can use those apps without needing to know the apple ID.

----------

yes to buy a song or app using your apple ID you just sign out of the itunes store and sign into it with yours, and all people who use that itunes can use that song and any apps too.