General Maintenance for a Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by noodlz1472, Feb 12, 2009.

1. noodlz1472 macrumors member

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a new aluminum macbook (my 1st mac) and had a few questions related to maintenance and upkeep. I've read a lot of articles/posts/etc and have decided to do the following to help maintain my mac. Please post your thoughts, other suggestions, etc. I appreciate it...

I'm going to install iantivirus for protection and macjanitor as my computer will likely never be on 24/7.

I'd also like to DL a p2p such as limewire, but am not sure what the best free option out there is on mac.

Also, how often do you check for updates? Is there anything else I should be doing that I didn't list? I read that defrags and cleanups arent necessary, esp with the use of macjanitor. Is this accurate?

For the battery, I'm assuming it's suggested not to keep it plugged in all the time - simply charge it up and unplug until a charge is needed again, right?

Again, please let me know what you think. I appreciate it!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, in Macs, you don't really need anti-virus software. It normal just slows the system down. But if you want for peace of mind, go ahead.

Check for updates every week. If you want a lightweight browser on the RAM, Firefox is a good choice.

3. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Well, first you need to get used to the fact that you won't need to do the housekeeping stuff that you needed to do with Windows (esp. XP). Macs aren't impervious to viruses, but just be sensible (no warez or pr0n) and you'll be fine. I hated this at first - computing was a hobby when I used Windows, I was forever defragging, and updating, and tweaking, and cleaning, and optimizing etc. You just don't need to do this with OS X. I hated it, because I used to LIKE doing this stuff in a weird way!!!

I don't use p2p, so someone else will have to help you there.

Software update (in the Apple menu at the top left) lets you set preferences. I do mine weekly. In years past, Apple has screwed up and pushed out a botched update which breaks stuff. I usually wait a day or two before installing an OS update just in case. By then the forums will be rife with complaints if the update is less than perfect.

For battery follow this http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1490. Then just use it as you need to. It will wear out after 300 or so cycles, at which point just get a new one. I tend to leave mine on charge when I can, and make sure I run it down to zero about once a month or so, but I'm not anal about it. Life is too short to sweat this stuff!

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Just say no to iAntivirus, it doesn't detect anything out in the wild, because there is nothing. Most of the items on its list are proof of concept exploits only, not actual viruses.

5. noodlz1472 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick responses guys! Please keep them coming. Everything has been very helpful/useful thus far. It's a good feeling breaking from the Windows World...

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I like Onyx for system maintenance. I run it once a week. Don't worry about an anti virus. Haven't had one on any of my macs in 16 years... I will periodically download a scanner and double check for giggles one a year but nothing ever comes up.

7. noodlz1472 thread starter macrumors member

Is Onyx similar to Macjanitor? Or are they completely different?

8. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Similar. I've been using it for a while and I trust it.

9. danvan21 macrumors regular

the best free anit virus comes on you mac --> OS X

10. Jpoon macrumors 6502

11. MacOCD macrumors regular

No need for a anti-virus, no one makes viruses for a not as popular as windows unix based OS... Don't waste the Ram... But Limewire and frostwire are just dumb so i wouldn't download it...

12. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

+1

I tried a few others and none have been as simple

13. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

Only thing I'd recommend if travelling with your Macbook is to change the firewall setting under System Preferences, security icon. Set it to "Allow only essential services" when on the road.

Other than that, almost every malware writer is gunning for Windows, so you won't see much in the way of bad stuff aimed at Mac users. Of course, if a website wants you to download an executable or a disk image for "adding codecs", don't, unless you verify that the code isn't harmful beforehand.

As for AV software, if I were doing official company business, or work stuff, I'd install a name brand program. Not due to the Mac viruses, but mainly to tell clients that all your machines have antivirus software present. Otherwise, if this isn't the case, no real point at this time.

14. noodlz1472 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone...I'll keep all of this in mind. If there is anything else I should know, please post it...

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Just wondering, what should my firewall set at when I am at home? Whats the best setting? I tried looking once a while back and I didn't find anything.

16. domcole macrumors regular

Hi there,

Personally I wouldn't use Limewire.

Use some kind of Torrent program if I were you. What you have to do is download the client onto your Mac e.g. BitTorrent/UTorrent (you can download them via their website.)

Secondly you will need to go onto the internet to find the 'torrents' for example 'torrentz.com'.

Search for the torrent and open it up in your client!

Sounds complicated but you can have it downloading within literally 20 seconds.

Much better than Limewire in my opinion. The files are much better and you tend to get no crap with them. I mean, with Limewire you could be getting something completely random off someone's computer.

Hope this helps.