General Rule with iOS: Don't update from it's intial OS?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by glsillygili, Oct 15, 2014.

1. glsillygili macrumors 6502

glsillygili

These seems to be the norm Apple likes dropping off it's old devices (especially ones that were very popular) on a version that is unusably slow and seems to be a motive to get people to buy new devices. I'm not sure why the iPhone 4S is so slow on iOS 8, I feel like Apple is doing it on purpose iOS 8 is really not that different from iOS 7, let's go through Apples devices that they discontinued and see how they run shall we?

iPhone, 3.1.3: Decent
    iPhone 3G, 4.2.1: Unusable
    iPhone 3GS, 6.1.6: Decent
    iPhone 4, 7.1.2: Unusable
    iPhone 4S, 8.X: Unusable

iPod Touch 1G, 3.1.3: Decent
    iPod Touch 2G, 4.2.1: Unusable
    iPod Touch 3G, 5.1.1: Fine
    iPod Touch 4G, 6.1.6: Usable
    iPod Touch 5G, 8.X: Unusable

iPad, 5.1.1: Fine
    iPad 2, 8.X: Unusable

iPad Mini, 8.X: Unusable

2. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Common sense indicates that the device which is lowest on the compatibility list (due to age) is going to have the least desirable experience. The list shows the devices containing hardware that will tolerate the software upgrade, not a promise that the ride will be smooth and trouble-free for all.

Another example of "just because you CAN do something doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it."

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

As I recall iOS 7.1 was more of a usable experience on the iPhone 4 vs. unusable, which was more consistent with iOS 7.0.

----------

The problem really comes down to that it actually takes some work (and pretty much ongoing work) to stay away from updating to the latest supported iOS version on those devices and still have everything working fine as it did before on the version you want to stay on.

4. numlock macrumors 68000

your last sentence is that directed at users who installed the pre downloaded update to reclaim space they paid for or apple by downloading it on your device?

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Problem is, we can't downgrade, and should something go wrong, you're forced to upgrade to the newest version

6. glsillygili thread starter macrumors 6502

glsillygili

Exactly my point I wish when Apple discontinues a product they would open the signing window to old versions of iOS.

7. omgipown macrumors newbie

The problem with this is, if Apple stopped updating device software when performance stops being the same as release day people would still complain. No matter what they do, people are going to say Apple is trying to make their devices "expire" to make customers buy the new version.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Why would performance stop being the same as it was before? If nothing is changing then performance should be the same, and updates certainly don't really seem to make the performance better on older devices.

9. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think what omgipown means is:

Apple releases firmware updates to older devices.
    >> People complain it slows down their devices. Oh noes, Apple is slowing down older devices forcing people to buy new hardware!

Apple doesn't release firmware updates to older devices.
    >> People complain they can't get the latest features. Oh noes, Apple is withholding latest features forcing people to buy new hardware!

Apple can't win either way.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

In that sense of it, I agree.

11. numlock macrumors 68000

where to begin

make it an optionable download. make it possible to downgrade.

thats two options that drastically change things and are much more consumer friendly.

why should a operating system run slower than its predecessor on hardware?

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

There can be plenty of reasons why performance on less powerful hardware might becomes worse. That aside, the two mentioned options would certainly be a good thing to see.

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

The problem though is if you have to restore your device because of an issue you're having, you have no choice. So basically you have to pray that nothing ever goes wrong.

I firmly believe that Apple needs to allow users to restore a device to whatever software is on the device. So if I have an iPhone 5 and I updated to iOS 7, then have to restore, let me restore to iOS 7. I'm not asking to allow people to revert to an older version of iOS but only to whatever you currently have installed.

I believe that to be reasonable and easy to implement

14. lelisa13p, Oct 15, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Neither, really. Just speaking for myself. Just because you see a nag badge doesn't mean that you have to act on it. But I don't have the low space consideration because I always buy the largest GB and then use the device until it's no longer practical.

I've ignored upgrades on a permanent basis, depending on the device model. iPhone 4 is still running iOS 5 (latest release) and my son uses it every day until he gets my iPhone 5 next month. I just upgraded iPhone 5, iPad 4 and Mini-R from iOS 6 to iOS 7.1.2 on the day before iOS 8 was released because I knew if I didn't, I'd be stuck either falling behind or upgrading to iOS 8, which I suspected would be less than optimal.
    That's why I'll leave iPhone 5 on iOS 7.1.2 when passing it along to my son next month. It runs very well as is. If something goes wrong (although there's been no indication of any problem whatsoever from Launch Day), it'll be a hardware issue and then it won't matter.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I think it depends what you use your device for a friend of mine loves ios8 on her 4s she hasnt complained its slower or unusable

16. DomC macrumors 6502

DomC

I think Apple looks good if the users of the oldest device on their list of compatibility for their new software are able to downgrade. That way they've given the users a chance to use the new features and leave it up to them to decide if it they want their devices to run a new way to get those features. Users can make the decision to keep using a device they are happy with sans new features, and not grumble that Apple has forced them to keep software that ITO has made those devices perform worse.

17. aidenh37 macrumors regular

iPhone 4s on 8 is not unusable! I have one of the newish ones bought in January 2014 and it works great!

18. Ev0d3vil macrumors 6502

The most you can upgrade to its the third gen of iOS before all hell breaks loose on your phone or iPad.. Eg. iPhone 4 to iOS 6 wasnt too bad, iOS 7 was crap.

19. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The only rule is 'wait until a bunch of other suckers with the same device as you have performed the update, and decide whether or not to update yourself once you've read up on their experiences'.

20. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I found 7.1.2 fine on the iPhone 4.

iOS 4 on the iPhone 3G was just terrible. It should never have got the update.

21. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

iPad Mini on 8.X is far from unusable. It works great. I have found devices to slow down and have problems when they were updated on the device rather than in iTunes.

22. chances14 macrumors member

chances14

I guess we all have our own definition of unusable.

I am running iOS 8 on my iPad 2. Yes the performance sucks compared to previous versions, but its far from being unusuable imo

23. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

You high mate? On what planet is the first gen iphone on 3.1.3 better than iphone 4 on 7.1.2

24. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

1) Decent, Unusable, and Fine are subjective.

2) iPad Mini iOS8 is not unusable by any stretch. Runs perfectly on my 1st Gen iPad Mini.

25. glsillygili thread starter macrumors 6502

glsillygili

My friend updated his, while I still have mine on iOS 6.1.3 and it is noticeably faster in doing any task.