Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Please use caution with all products, purchases, and etc. when buying or trying to get support at the Apple Arrowhead Mall Store. I had always had great experiences at Apple Biltmore Store, but since the Arrowhead Mall store opened it's closer. However, I have had terrible experiences there. Just Tuesday a "Genius" told me my AirPort Extreme Wireless Base Station was NOT covered by the AppleCare on my MacBook Pro. I had to go back today and give the manager the news that I had been lied to. The Geniuses all said since the AirPort Extreme wasn't on same receipt it's not covered; problem is that is not true. All peripherals are covered except the Display which is covered only when purchased on same receipt as MacBook Pro, Mac MINI, or Mac Pro.

Please use caution and know the facts. I fear these people know full well the items are covered but trying to make you buy another item and spend more money in the store.

BE CAREFUL AT THE APPLE ARROWHEAD STORE!

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
An Airport Extreme or Express is it's own device. Not an accessory/peripheral of any computer. An accessory would be your DVI cable or power cable.

I are ill-informed.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
An Airport Extreme or Express is it's own device. Not an accessory/peripheral of any computer. An accessory would be your DVI cable or power cable.

You are ill-informed.

From Apple:

The AppleCare Protection Plan covers your Mac, as well as an AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, MacBook Air SuperDrive, and Apple RAM used with your Mac. Mac mini, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro customers may also register one Apple display for coverage, provided that the Mac and the display are purchased together.

rayrayfx

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
these guys are great when your spending money.... but, there are a few younger employees that are too cool to help ya and often direct ya into making another purchase. Scottsdale is much more helpful and answer questions, even when busy. Made the difference for my purchase. Ended up with mbp from these guys. Thank you for the write up.
BTW I purchased from Arrowhead: wireless card for old mb, wireless mighty mouse, ipod. My experience was based on looking for info on last year's mbp and information, etc.

JNB

macrumors 604
Funny, I've had several experiences at the Arrowhead Store (including opening day), and they've all been exceptional. While the Biltmore folks may have had more time to understand all the ins & outs, they have also managed to waste my time on as many occasions than not, trying to look up particular answers to policy issues for me. Chandler's been quite good, generally, but I've only been there two or three times.

In fact, I was at Arrowhead on Day 1, just poking around and talking to one of the floor staff and made a mention of a minor "thing" with my iPhone. They walked me to a Genius, they looked it over for about thirty seconds, asked if I had synced recently (I had that morning), and just gave me a new phone on the spot. No questions, no problems, no issues.

I'd have to say that your "caution" about Arrowhead is a tad overheated.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Your post seems a bit extreme. If all the geniuses said it wouldn't be covered because it wasn't on the same receipt, it seems to me they were not trained properly. They made an error.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I think they are trying to get extra sales instead of warrantying products. The manager apologized to me for a THIRD TIME. I personally called him today after receiving my new AirPort Extreme Wireless Base Station.

According to the "Genius" they do NOT service the AirPort Extreme Wireless Base Station.

I have had several bad experiences at this store. I fear they are not looking out for customers and trying to pad their own pockets by selling discounted items instead of warrantying them as required.

BTW, I had to fight to get a new Logic Board in my MBP v 2,2. And they just gave me a there's no problem with your SuperDrive even though it doesn't work half the time; cause it worked then.

Although, to be fair, the "Genius" told me my battery was "BAD" and I am assuming that means I do not have to PAY for a new one. We will see when I pick it up on Monday. As they are keeping it til then. Thank GOD I bought the new MB $1599 Aluminum. Otherwise I would be typing this from my iPhone.

One last BTW, the "Genius" that replaced my AirPort Extreme today asked if I use a Windows computer with it... I said yep... he started to say something, and I blerted out "IN BOOT CAMP!" Not another word was asked of me. HA HA.

Your post seems a bit extreme. If all the geniuses said it wouldn't be covered because it wasn't on the same receipt, it seems to me they were not trained properly. They made an error.

One of the Assistant Managers said it was a lesson learned for him too. Just beware before doing business or expecting good service there. I will go back to the store, but every time I go there, I will expect them to be disingenuous and not looking out for my interests. Even when I paid $349 for them to cover my products. THERE IS NO EXCUSE! You must be one of them. Ha ha ha.

The $350 of AppleCare is meant for them to look out for customer just like an insurance policy. They need to know that they accept liability and not try to sell me something I bought the right to when I bought the AppleCare for $349!

One last thing.

A few of the salespeople are really good and polite. But three out of five are really good. Is that good enough? Or do the two duds ruin the Apple Store's reputation and the Apple Experience for the customers.

But, I have also had one treat me like crap when I was spending $1599 on a new MB. I warned him ahead of time about the battery cover issue. The guy told me that it doesn't affect it at all and no more dirt gets in even if could see the battery. In addition he said he would gladly buy the one with a bad battery cover anyways for FULL PRICE. Guy could not admit that three out of six on display had a problem. Later told me not to buy the MB if I thought there was a problem with the battery cover. I asked to work with someone else and he walked away and let me stand there for fifteen minutes and I had to go find my own help. Luckily the manager got involved. Let me open the case, and my MB was fine and did not have the battery cover problem.

I bought a headset for my iPhone which I later returned without a problem. Was nothing but static. Also bought software and a case one day and the guy helped me choose the right software for what I wanted to do. Excellent for certain.

I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM AT THE BILTMORE OR CHANDLER STORES. Those people were always EXCELLENT and actually acted like they cared about me as a customer. In fact, when I bought the AirPort Extreme Base Station it was at the Biltmore store. The salesperson was excellent and informed me that the AppleCare from my MBP covered it if I used the MBP with the AirPort Extreme base station.

The manager and some of the staff are from the Biltmore store, so I will admit this may be just isolated incidents. However, being a corporation, I think we should all beware of the incidents that happen to others, like me, to ensure they do not happen to you.

All I want is for people to be 100% certain there product is NOT covered by AppleCare before accepting the Genius's discounted product. That is a problem.

*old-guy*

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2007
Blackburn in North West England
Sometimes, and I ain't saying this is the case in this particular instance, an atitude can create a problem where a problem doesn't exist. BTW, I speak from both sides of the counter if you know what I mean.
Let's just say you go in a store and the salesperson doesn't snap to attention and do exactly what you want, the NEXT time you go in, maybe you're expecting the same treatment and your testosterone level is way up there even befoe you speqak to anyone. Now, salespeople recognise this, or at least, good ones do and immediately try to defuse the situation. The snag is that it is hard to be a good salesperson when all you have done is take a 30 minute tutorial on working the till.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Well, I don't think any attitude deserves not covering an AppleCare covered product when it's not working. I paid $350.

By the way, I am not one to usually have problems. I went to the Biltmore store for years and never had a problem. Why is it all the sudden that bad experiences happen at one particular store. Had an appointment and saw a "Genius" how does attitude affect that. Sure, my attitude was not good when the guy told me that my AirPort Extreme was not covered. And sure, I was a little "cocky" when showing them the Apple website said my device was covered, but in general how does a person not have a bad experience in over 20 transactions and then when a new store pops up three bad experiences... With some good experiences mixed in.

I would say that there are some good ones and some bad ones. I merely hope people look out for the bad ones and ensure their AppleCare is honored and they watch out for the bad "apple." So, I think if you happen to be shopping at the Apple Arrowhead Mall Store, you should watch out for the bad apple to ensure your experience is not poorly affected.

Cheers.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
Unrelated to the experience....that store is still new and it still is a bit shady.
Dealing with customer relations and non-customer relations (potential employment)--the most unprofessional situation ive been in. it was unfortunate but hey live and learn and things happen for a reason.

however to verify if your Airport Extreme is covered is to check at this site:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

so IS the AEBS on the same receipt or purchased at the SAME time the MBP was purchased? cuz if it WAS it SHOULD be covered.
If it was purchased later then it is NOT.

*EDIT*
Just posted a minute after you.
yeah they werent probably checking their resources and just assumed and didnt bother to verify.
ITs unfortunate of that situation.
BEcause last year i got a MBP and a AEBS and its covered with apple care.
goodluck!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Unrelated to the experience....that store is still new and it still is a bit shady.
Dealing with customer relations and non-customer relations (potential employment)--the most unprofessional situation ive been in. it was unfortunate but hey live and learn and things happen for a reason.

however to verify if your Airport Extreme is covered is to check at this site:
https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

so IS the AEBS on the same receipt or purchased at the SAME time the MBP was purchased? cuz if it WAS it SHOULD be covered.
If it was purchased later then it is NOT.

*EDIT*
Just posted a minute after you.
yeah they werent probably checking their resources and just assumed and didnt bother to verify.
ITs unfortunate of that situation.
BEcause last year i got a MBP and a AEBS and its covered with apple care.
goodluck!

Sorry, but if you think cause not on same receipt not covered, PLEASE READ THE APPLE CARE AGREEMENT CLOSELY. Only when purchasing a display with a MacMini, MacPro, or MacBook Pro does the item covered have to be on the SAME receipt.

Otherwise, ALL peripherals NOTED in the AppleCare agreement just need to be used with a computer that has AppleCare coverage to be covered. I found this out by a nice knowledgeable person here on the forum, or I would have been out nearly $200!

This is precisely my point, people like you have probably received bad information. I want to make sure everyone knows the truth. This store manager told me he knew the correct policy, while the "Genius" and assistant manager did NOT know the correct policy.

PLEASE, READ IT FOR YOURSELF...

The AppleCare Protection Plan covers your Mac, as well as an AirPort Extreme Card, an AirPort Express or AirPort Extreme Base Station, Time Capsule, MacBook Air SuperDrive, and Apple RAM used with your Mac. Mac mini, Mac Pro, and MacBook Pro customers may also register one Apple display for coverage, provided that the Mac and the display are purchased together.

Don't believe me???

http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan.html

SWLinPHX

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in Phoenix and I visited the Chandler (first AZ Apple Store) when it was new but now am closer to the Biltmore store. I'm glad they have them located diversely enough to cover the large area that encompasses metropolitan Phoenix, but I'd see how they are in a month or two. Salespeople and policies and training change very quickly at individual stores.

Thanks for letting me know about the Extreme Base Station. I just received a big MacBook Pro 2.53 order today (still in boxes) and since I have a wireless-g network I was thinking of upgrading to "n", but wasn't sure of the big difference I'd notice and also wary because "n" is still referred to as "draft n" until some time in 2009. Maybe I will buy the Extreme Base Station though and just disable the wireless part of my Motorola cable modem/wireless router combo unit. So you can buy a base station long after you purchase a computer and it is covered as long as computer's initial AppleCare is valid and you use it with it?

Will the Extreme Base Station be update-able to the final version of "n" next year or should I wait?

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
I'm in Phoenix and I visited the Chandler (first AZ Apple Store) when it was new but now am closer to the Biltmore store. I'm glad they have them located diversely enough to cover the large area that encompasses metropolitan Phoenix, but I'd see how they are in a month or two. Salespeople and policies and training change very quickly at individual stores.

Thanks for letting me know about the Extreme Base Station. I just received a big MacBook Pro 2.53 order today (still in boxes) and since I have a wireless-g network I was thinking of upgrading to "n", but wasn't sure of the big difference I'd notice and also wary because "n" is still referred to as "draft n" until some time in 2009. Maybe I will buy the Extreme Base Station though and just disable the wireless part of my Motorola cable modem/wireless router combo unit. So you can buy a base station long after you purchase a computer and it is covered as long as computer's initial AppleCare is valid and you use it with it?

Will the Extreme Base Station be update-able to the final version of "n" next year or should I wait?

If you buy it anytime after your MBP, it will be covered until the last day of AppleCare coverage for your MBP. I would buy it again knowing that I can be assured for three years worth of use. However, if I knew that it wasn't covered by AppleCare, I would have NEVER bought it. Basically, I found that quite a few people had multiple WAN port failures on their N Extreme Base Stations.

So, if the Apple brand name doesn't matter to you, you can buy a Netgear or cheap generic type for as low as $29 at a place like Fry's Electronics. But, the Apple AirPort Extreme is nice for its SIMPLE SETUP of printer via the USB port on the AirPort Extreme base station. Plus, I have heard plugging in a hard drive or even a USB hub with multiple devices works great. So, really, you would be paying around $150 more for those capabilities and the Apple Brand Name.

Was worth it to me since my MBP Apple Care covered it... but maybe not worth it without the AppleCare to ensure it works for three years.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I'm excited to hear that there is a store at Arrowhead. I did not know this fact. I have been to the Biltmore store several times and other than the large crowds (which I do not like crowds) I have a decent experience. I am all about customer service, and I am ALL about voicing my opinion when I get bad customer service.

I will have to go to the Arrowhead store and check it out, without any reservations. I don't like to go anywhere where I think I am going to get screwed. I will go blindly, assuming I will have the same great experience as I did at the Biltmore store and if I don't I will go nuclear... :D

SWLinPHX

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
If the Apple brand name doesn't matter to you, you can buy a Netgear or cheap generic type for as low as $29 at a place like Fry's Electronics. But, the Apple AirPort Extreme is nice for its SIMPLE SETUP of printer via the USB port on the AirPort Extreme base station. Plus, I have heard plugging in a hard drive or even a USB hub with multiple devices works great. So, really, you would be paying around $150 more for those capabilities and the Apple Brand Name.

Well, another reason for purchasing would be that I want to hook up my 1 TB hard drive to it and use it for Time Machine from my new MacBook Pro. Two questions:

1) As I asked earlier, will the Extreme Base Station be update-able to the final version of "n" next year or should I wait? I don't know much about the process of going from "draft" or "pre-N" to final version, and don't want to lose out because I bought too early.

2) Also, does anyone know if you can use Time Machine wirelessly if the backup drive you want to use is connected to another computer, and you mount it wirelessly via Personal File Sharing through that computer's interface? Or, is it necessary to have the hard drive hooked up directly to the laptop or AirPort station for Time Machine to work?

nc7r

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
Ok, the guys in a new apple store mis-informed you.

It seems all or most of them were newly trained and the T&C of applecare is something which you learn over time.

The guys now know that they're covered and you have had your warranty replacement. It's a bit stroppy to get on an internet forum and warm no-one to ever set foot in the store for any reason isn't it?

We all realise you're not happy. I feel sorry for you - does this make it better?

Anyway, lets hope the guys have got it together and are giving the same level of service that they always do, which I will note is much higher than any other high street retailer!

At least you're getting your product concerns listened to and not sent away for a 4 week inspection period!

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Ok, the guys in a new apple store mis-informed you.

It seems all or most of them were newly trained and the T&C of applecare is something which you learn over time.

The guys now know that they're covered and you have had your warranty replacement. It's a bit stroppy to get on an internet forum and warm no-one to ever set foot in the store for any reason isn't it?

We all realise you're not happy. I feel sorry for you - does this make it better?

Anyway, lets hope the guys have got it together and are giving the same level of service that they always do, which I will note is much higher than any other high street retailer!

At least you're getting your product concerns listened to and not sent away for a 4 week inspection period!

I said many times, that I am concerned for ALL OF YOU! I also said that I would be going back into the store and told NOBODY to BUY ELSEWHERE. What I did say, is that I fear the intentions are not well, and that YOU ALL should be aware just as I am of what is and what is NOT covered when you walk into the store to ensure you don't accept bad advice whether ill intended or not. Please re-read ALL OF MY POSTS and think about your statement... your analysis and summary is NOT correct nor true.

Best wishes to you.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Well, another reason for purchasing would be that I want to hook up my 1 TB hard drive to it and use it for Time Machine from my new MacBook Pro. Two questions:

1) As I asked earlier, will the Extreme Base Station be update-able to the final version of "n" next year or should I wait? I don't know much about the process of going from "draft" or "pre-N" to final version, and don't want to lose out because I bought too early.

2) Also, does anyone know if you can use Time Machine wirelessly if the backup drive you want to use is connected to another computer, and you mount it wirelessly via Personal File Sharing through that computer's interface? Or, is it necessary to have the hard drive hooked up directly to the laptop or AirPort station for Time Machine to work?

I have no clue about the facts of the N draft used. I doubt however, that the N spec used cannot be changed via firmware. Imagine your new MBP having the confirmed N spec later next year and not working with an older AirPort Base Station? I assume all would be corrected then.

You should post a new question in this forum about your Time Machine question. I do not know the answer, but I am certain someone here will.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Please use caution and know the facts. I fear these people know full well the items are covered but trying to make you buy another item and spend more money in the store.

This isn't true at all. The people there just don't know, are stupid, or were told something different by another person that doesn't know.

The Apple stores are FILLED with young teenagers and early 20 somethings that work there for a year, get "promoted" (read get a new name tag) and start to think they know everything.

NO ONE in an Apple store will know all of the T&C of Apple Care unless they have to deal with it then and there. And chances are, the younger your associate the less they know, and the more of an Apple zealot they will be.

This has been the case at the many Apple stores in my area.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
This isn't true at all. The people there just don't know, are stupid, or were told something different by another person that doesn't know.

The Apple stores are FILLED with young teenagers and early 20 somethings that work there for a year, get "promoted" (read get a new name tag) and start to think they know everything.

NO ONE in an Apple store will know all of the T&C of Apple Care unless they have to deal with it then and there. And chances are, the younger your associate the less they know, and the more of an Apple zealot they will be.

This has been the case at the many Apple stores in my area.

The Assistant Manager was NOT a dumb kid... "and he didn't know it." All I ask is that everyone be cautious as when they are paying $250 or $350 for an insurance policy, that it cover what it is supposed to cover. And the customer needs to know this so it doesn't happen to them at this particular store. No matter how clear I was with the guy that denied the AppleCare coverage, he was firm and he was NOT 20 years old either. Rather a smart individual who did NOT want to cover it. Although he gave me the option to "trade in" mine and buy a discounted one at $149. That makes me more concerned than anything... something Apple should be covering they are charging for... and making money a second time instead of accepting liability.

In addition, I am speculating. I fear the worst but am hopeful that you are correct. I just want people to use caution and know the facts which is what I have clearly stated throughout this thread.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
In addition, I am speculating. I fear the worst but am hopeful that you are correct. I just want people to use caution and know the facts which is what I have clearly stated throughout this thread.

Oh, nothing against you personally. And yes, the managers are very well informed (in most cases, I have run into some...:rolleyes: less intelligent persons).

But it was just that one part that got me taking a second look. No one at Apple is sly enough to get you to buy a new part or machine, they just don't know.

Short story. Waiting at the Genius bar and a person comes and ask the Genius about a replacement "duck head" the two pronged piece for your MB power adaptor.

The Genius tells her they don't replace them, and that she could get a new power adaptor for $80. I told her to call Apple Care and have them send her one for $10.... or just use the extension cord. The Genius just didn't know about that service.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
Oh, nothing against you personally. And yes, the managers are very well informed (in most cases, I have run into some...:rolleyes: less intelligent persons).

But it was just that one part that got me taking a second look. No one at Apple is sly enough to get you to buy a new part or machine, they just don't know.

Short story. Waiting at the Genius bar and a person comes and ask the Genius about a replacement "duck head" the two pronged piece for your MB power adaptor.

The Genius tells her they don't replace them, and that she could get a new power adaptor for $80. I told her to call Apple Care and have them send her one for $10.... or just use the extension cord. The Genius just didn't know about that service.

If these people are "geniuses" I think they should definitely understand what is and is not covered by AppleCare. And they definitely are sending the wrong message when they say something is NOT covered and yet try to sell you a new one for $149... Seriously, I think this is a little more important than to just blow it off as one idiot. I fear ill intentions. I hope that is not the case. I will ALWAYS look out for myself and others in much greater emphasis when it comes to this particular store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.