Genius Appointment absolutely necessary for replacement?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjk454ss, Apr 27, 2009.

1. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I was going to take my phone in to the Apple store, but when I try to schedule an appointment with the Genius Bar, it says nothing available. What if I just walk in? The Apple store is 50 minutes away, I don't want to drive for nothing.

2. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/7A280f Safari/525.20)

In my experience, you need to have an appointment. I've been able to get same-day appointments before, but if they're so busy that you can't book anything, I'd imagine a walk-in wouldn't work. ;)

3. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

I'm pretty sure you need an appt. I went in for my Macbook and mentioned my cracked iPhone hoping he'd be like lemme take a look, I can switch it for you, but nope, he said you need to make an appt.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My local store is usually quite busy, so I would definitely recommend an appointment.

5. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

You need appointment, I went in to an Apple Store because my silent button wasn't working and it was not busy, but I still needed to make appointment. I was lucky they made it for me right there on the spot. I really would try and do it a day in advance they have appointments every 15 min.

6. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

When I tried to make an appointment it said none available, try back later. I guess I will try back later then.

Thanks

7. StuddedLeather macrumors 6502a

Well at the 5th Ave store you MUST make an appointment blah blah blah. . . I constantly walk in and they say sign your name and I'm called instantly. So the wait is not too bad here :apple:

8. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

They're usually so busy you need an appointment at any of the stores I've ever visited.

9. SB1 macrumors newbie

Genius Appointment

From my experience with the Apple store.....

I went in one day to my local Apple store not knowing you need an appointment and soon I found this out. The person behind the counter told me I needed to make an appointment and told me I would have to make one for a later date since they were booked up the rest of the day. They told me if I could hang out in the store (close by the Genius counter) they could put me on standby. This means if someones name was called who had an appointment but didn't show up, they would call my name. Well this happened and within 30 minutes I was in and out from my appointment with a new iPhone! So I say go in and give it shot if you need to do it.

:D

10. S Brake macrumors regular

How far ahead do you have to make a reservation? I just tried making one for Friday and it only went to Thursday.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can always call them up and have them send you a prepaid box to send it in.
    Depending on when the next open date is.

12. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, I setup a time for tomorrow that they are supposed to call me so I will probably get them to send me one and just save the trip.

13. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

OK, I got my call from Apple. The reason I can't get a Genius Bar appointment is that the store I was going to go to is closed for renovations until May 8th.

But they would not replace the phone for me by mail. They were either going to charge me for accidental damage, or make me ship mine in for repair. They know about the iPhone plastic cracking, but still said if they do it by phone it would be considered accidental damage. I also have a pixel out, but it is only one, and she said I couldn't send it in for that either.

I am not a super picky person like so many who have replaced there phone several times. I have lived with the crack for a long time, but it is getting worse. It is very noticeable when you run your finger over it, and it keeps getting longer and is actually splitting into a Y now. That and the annoying pixel in the middle of my screen made me finally decide to try and get a new one.

14. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Are you worried about the crack getting worse before the 8th?
    Are there no other stores anywhere near you?

15. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Not really worried about it getting worse, just want to do it now that I have decided to. The Apple store I was going to is about a 50 minute drive, the next closest is a couple hours.

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Ooh thats rough. I've got 4 apple stores in like a 50 mile radius of me. The closest is like 20 minutes from me.

Hopefully it all works out. Lets just hope the "geniuses" dont pull a fast one on you and tell you the same thing they told you over the phone. :(

17. jjk454ss thread starter macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Yeah, I hope not. But if they do, it will just give me an excuse to upgrade to the new one when it does come out:D.

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

Unless you're a ProCare member, it only shows three days out. If you check tomorrow, it should show Friday.

The store near me will do standbys in certain situations, but since you're waiting until a regularly scheduled customer doesn't show up, it's a total gamble for how long you may end up waiting for a standby appt! Nice that you only had to wait 30 minutes! :)

19. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

That's BS. I just had my phone replaced for plastic cracking. Btw, where is the crack?

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

AppleCare replaced it (via mail), or the Genius Bar did? They often have different requirements.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've got 6 stores near me and I STILL have to sometimes check them all to find one with a spot available. They fill up fasts.

Best bet is to get online as soon after they open as you can and you can usually get something the same day.

22. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That busy? Damn.

And I thought the Toronto stores were bad. :eek:

(Also, ... *six* stores? Damn.:eek:)

23. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I didn't make an appointment, so I just talked to a guy who walks around in the store (forget what their names are).
    He took it back and replaced it for me, so I guess you could say Genius Bar.

24. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Plus a 7th store another 6 miles past the furthest one I'd normally go to, but come on...I've gotta draw the line somwhere! ;)

25. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

You're so lucky, I have one about 30 minutes away, and the next nearest ones are 3 hours away (3 of them).