Genius Bar Appt / protect data?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BornToMac, May 16, 2010.

1. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I have a genius bar apt today and will be dropping off my MBP to have the graphics card replaced. How do you guys feel about leaving your data (pics, documents, cracked programs) on your computer when dropping it off with Apple?

2. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

what are you concerned about?
    your data being lost?
    or them snooping through your stuff?

they won't go through your stuff.
    as far as your data being lost, it probably won't happen. but there's always a "chance" that it could. they say that so if in the off chance that it happens, they're not in trouble. i backup my files just to be doubley sure, since losing my stuff would be pretty devastating.
    you shouldn't worry too much about losing your files, it's very unlikely that it would happen. but if you have the option to, definitely back up.
    i bought a time capsule just for that reason, but i'm glad i have it now.

3. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I just ran a time machine backup so I am not too worried about losing all of my data, and if so I have a backup. Guess I was concerned about them going through my stuff or copying anything of interest to them.

4. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Am I being too paranoid? What about saved passwords etc?

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Well, you've already done a Time Machine backup. If you're really that concerned, pop in the install disk and do a fresh format and install to wipe it clean, then restore from the backup when you get it back.

If you've got something on there you don't want other people to see, then the only way to be sure this doesn't happen is to remove what's on there.

6. piwi macrumors regular

You could always clean wipe the HDD but honestly, I don't think they'd bother going trough what's on every single Mac they fix.
    If you have a backup then 0 out your HDD before bringing it in, if you are usually unlucky with this kind of things you may end up having your computer handled by a dodgy employee but tbh I think it's a very rare occurrence if not unheard of.
    Your call really, it's not that much of a big to deal to swipe and restore so if that makes you sleep better do it ;)

--edit: on the other hand I see you have a facebook so if your pics are on there too I reckon you are looking at a much greater privacy liability on facebook than by bringing your Mac in the AS :)

7. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Don't even get me started on that topic. FB's privacy shenanigans are starting to piss me off.

8. piwi macrumors regular

9. aristobrat macrumors G5

The store near me has always has at least 30 Macs queued up for repairs in the back-of-house Genius Room.

They don't have time to dick around with peoples Macs, other than to perform the designated repair, and do some quick testing afterwords.

They will ask you for your admin password in case they need to run updates, etc, which is something they'll usually do, even if your Mac is only in for a hardware issue.

They are not responsible for data loss, so you were smart to back your Mac up before you went in. If you're worried about your stored passwords, etc, use the Keychain Access program, right-click on the login keychain (that's where the bulk of your passwords are stored), and change the password to something different than your regular password.