Genius Bar just took my MBP for repair (Cracking popping sound)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BananaX, Feb 4, 2018.

1. BananaX macrumors regular

BananaX

Hi,

Just want to let you guys know. If you are experiencing such strange noise. Try to put your MBP under-load, and film the popping sound. For example, running games or pushing 4k videos on 2 displays. My advisor didnot check much, he watched the video and book my MBP for repair right away. Here is the estimated fixing cost. Hope this can help.

Im also experiencing display click (sound) when opening, and keyboard. :(

Screen Shot 2018-02-05 at 4.08.39 pm.png (AUD)
    Cheers

2. ronaldcastillo macrumors 6502a

I had the same issue both popping and display click. Apple ended up replacing my display assembly, vent/antenna, & top case (w/2017 keyboard). So far there's no popping noise or display click so I'm hoping it'll stay that way. Why'd they had to replace your logic board?

3. GeniusAdvisor macrumors newbie

To be fair, the sound is more thank likely your speakers and not the logic board.
    Seems strange that if you are having keyboard issues, that your Genius did not order you a top case?

4. T909 Suspended

5. BananaX thread starter macrumors regular

BananaX

Still under warranty. :D
    --- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2018 ---
    Yeah. After I received this email, I gave them a call. Looks like their gonna check keyboard first, and we will see.

I have no idea why. :cool:

6. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Apple care would have been cheaper

7. BananaX thread starter macrumors regular

BananaX

Update:

After the first repair (Logic board the whole lot), still experiencing the same problem.

Second attend, replaced the logic board again (no idea why), and top case including battery, speaker etc, still experiencing the same problem.

I wonder, the problem can't be fixed maybe :(. Do you guys think they will replace my MBP or third attend to fix it.

8. csurfr macrumors 68020

I believe after three attempts they give you the option of a brand new machine.

9. AlaskaMoose macrumors 68000

I remember years ago when popping sounds on older Macs were caused by the capacitors on the circuit boards. It may not be the case nowadays, but it makes me wonder.

10. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

After 3 attempts, it classifies as a lemon, im assuming your not in the UK so no laws to help you. But apple should give you a new machine

11. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

It amazes me that people can't properly read. The amount due is clearly listed as zero. He's already covered by AppleCare.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Glad you took the time to share your amazement.

13. BananaX thread starter macrumors regular

BananaX

I hope they can do something about it. After 2 attempts, its getting worse lol. Every time I open my MBP or adjusting my display angle, I can hear a popping sound from display hinge, not to mention the occasionally popping sound from somewhere in my MBP.

I know it is not a big deal nor affecting any performances. But, I forked out almost A$4000, ifeelsbadman, I want them to fix it or replace. :(

I need to travel almost 2hrs in total each genius visit, and I am going in this week for the third time. Gonna be fun!

14. BananaX thread starter macrumors regular

BananaX

Was going to clean my display. Look what I found!

They have made it worse now.

15. jerryk macrumors 601

Much quieter than the dash on my 2016 BMW. That thing creaks and rattle for 3-5 minutes every morning. $60,000 car.:( And the dealer cannot fix it.

16. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Same thing on my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so i just turn the music up. But yea you got a foreign car, i see the problem. I think Apple is the new FCA, i paid $50,000 for my jeep and same quality. Not covered by warranty apparently.

17. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

I had the same issue, they sent it back for repair. I called a senior advisor and said i didnt spend 3k on a laptop to have it sent out for repairs 6 months in, please replace it. They declined, it came back to me and the display made a clicking sound when i shook the laptop, along with the spacebar not working consistently.

I called again, and they ordered me a new laptop.

18. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Reading all the threads about the mac book pro's on mac rumours and apple, I'm glad i never upgraded (or say downgraded) to a newer mac. I hope the new machine has no issues and they should chip in free things. I'm going to stay with my 2015 15" for a while now and not upgrade my mac for college.

19. BananaX thread starter macrumors regular

BananaX

Update: So, they didn't try to fix it the third time. They offer me the 2017 model replacement, I had to pay the price different tho. Hopefully, no more dramas.

20. iliasp macrumors member

iliasp

was it at an official apple store?
    they usually upgrade at no extra cost due to the hassle caused by the defective machine

21. leman macrumors G3

You can ask them to replace the laptops all you want, but the new one will be the same. ALL of these laptops make the popping sound and all of them rattle sound when you shake them (the later is true for every retina MBP since 2012).

22. iliasp macrumors member

iliasp

my mid2012 rMBP didn't rattle (I had three displays replaced due to coating problems)

23. leman macrumors G3

Then you are the exception. I just went through the office trying out more then 10 laptops. ALL rattled.

24. BananaX thread starter macrumors regular

BananaX

I purchased the MBP from some guy on internet, brand new with big discount lol. I had no invoice, no transaction record, just apple care that I added later on. I am happy they were willing to replace for me with just $300 extra.

I did not experience this popping sound from my last 13 retina, and I have 2 friends with 2016 MBP which works just fine. So, I don't know man, I hope this one is going to be ok.

25. leman macrumors G3

Tell your friends to press with a finger on the middle of the hinge. I bet they will hear the pop ;) A part of assembly gets loose there and under thermal expansion (when the laptop is getting hotter), it can produce the sounds spontaneously. The frequency and loudness of the sound depends on the particular laptop, and some of them indeed don't make the sound when getting warm, but so far every single 2016/2017 laptop I had in my hands had that part loose.