Genius Bar Replacement - Issue with "New" iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SOLLERBOY, Aug 14, 2014.

1. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

To cut a long story short, my 5s' loud speaker stopped working last week. i toot it in to the apple store on Monday and they attempted, unsuccessfully to repair it so they gave me a "new" iPhone. (i'm sure it's just a refurb they were calling new as refurbs are the policy right?)

Anyway, having returned home and used it for a couple of days I've noticed that the glass on the left hand side of the screen has a lip that you can get your finger nail stuck into when you rub your finger from right to left. It's quite a noticeable lip on that side only. The phone itself also has a feeling of cheapness about it. It's clearly not as well built overall as my launch 5s.

Is is with it taking it back to apple and see if they will replace it or won't they be bothered about it? I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience?

2. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Replacements are covered by the warranty so take it back. I had a couple of replacement 3GS's and whilst they were "refurbs" they always felt and looked as if they were new.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Sounds like you got a lemon. That's not the norm. I've had several Apple refurbs and all have been sturdier and in better condition than the phones I got at launch. You can bring it back and get a replacement.

4. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies, I've got an appointment for tomorrow. My local apple store is ridiculously busy and they just handed me the iPhone and that was that so I didn't get a chance to check it out so I'll make sure I do tomorrow.

5. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Busy or not, take the time and examine the replacement phone. Let the genius help next appointment, but if you have any questions you can still bug them

6. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

This. They're now allotted more than 15 minutes per appointment. Just don't be greedy and let the genius work with other customers while you inspect the replacement.

And btw. Apple doesn't distribute refurbished devices. They're remanufactured and every replacement device goes through QA vs production devices that get random QA inspections.

The only source for refurbished (repaired, cleaned & tested) iPhones is via 3rd party sales such ad eBay, craigslist, etc. Or from carrier insurance such as Asurion.

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

You know you're just in luck right?

8. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the info! . I was actually told to come back to pick it up and some random assistant just came out and gave it to me, not a genius at the bar.

Thanks for the info on the phones.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

How so? Many users on here over the years have reported the same findings. Sure, some people get stuck with phones with issues, but overall, there's nothing historically negative with the "refurb" phones.

10. ourmountain macrumors regular

I have direct experience with over 50 Apple refurbs - iMacs, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, iPods (classic, touch, nano, shuffle), iPads (iPad 2, 3, 4, Air, Mini), and replacement iPhones as well.

Luck has nothing to do with it, and you're a biased fool if you actually think so. People see "refurbished" and assume it's inferior, where in most cases it's a perfect device that has gone through even more examination than a standard production model.

11. Merkie macrumors 68020

I was trying to say that refurbs are neither worse nor better than new phones. They go through the same assmebly process and are held to the same quality standards as new iPhones.

12. ourmountain macrumors regular

That's all well and good, but not entirely true. Every refurb is examined and approved. That isn't the case with production.

13. Merkie macrumors 68020

That may be true, but the assembly process does not have lower tolerances or something. As long as the device (either new or refurb) is not DoA, I think there is no difference between the quality of new devices and refurbs. Refurbs can have mushy buttons and clicky screens just as likely as new phones.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Refurbs were returned for a reason. If Apple fixes what ever that "reason" was you should be good but these phones are looked over by humans and human can miss things.

15. Merkie macrumors 68020

That's true, but Apple's refurbs are not actually refurbs but remanufactured phones. They strip the phone for parts. Each "refurb" has a brand new screen and casing.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

"The phone itself also has a feeling of cheapness about it"
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I do not care if people want to call it remanufactured, it is all the same thing.

Which ever sounds the best remanufactured or refurbished, they were returned by the original owner for a reason.

----------

I had a girlfriend who had the same feeling.:p

18. CarmelMacchiato macrumors member

You are completely missing the point, refurb and remanufactured are not the same thing. Also the iPhones you receive from Apple are not the same iPhones that were returned.

19. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You, tell me the difference between a refurb iPhone and a remanufactured iphone. :rolleyes:

20. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Refurbished - Typically means device was used, and returned for ANY reason within the return policy. Having worked for a wireless carrier for a while now, this is usually due to just buyers remorse, not because a unit is defective. The device is then restored, repackaged, and sold as "refurbished".

Remanufactured - Typically means any parts of the device that can be seen/felt are replaced with new parts, and only the logic board and internals are reused. The internals typically are very well protected, and aren't subject to the wear that the externals are. They are also given new batteries. Only a fraction of the device has actually been 'used'.

21. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

So what is the difference in a refurb end and remanufactured iPhone. There is none as they all get the same treatment from Apple. All get new cases and they are as new, but were returned to Apple for one reason or another and not just for buyer remorse. All of them go back for the same treatment and are generally called refurbs.

22. iBanker macrumors regular

Well, technically it's new to you.

Not a very valuable sixth sense you've got there.

ib

23. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

The majority are buyers remorse, though. Lots of old timers pressured into touch by their grandkids, or people who get an iPhone because their friends have one, but really want a larger screen.

I'll admit that Refurb and remanufactured mean the same thing, but the take away is that generally a company will call a used device "refurbished" because they've wiped it down and put it in a new box. It's extremely important to recognize that Apple replaces the majority of the device before it's resold.

24. Merkie macrumors 68020

Refurbished generally means that phone is restored to factory settings, wiped clean and put into a new shiny box.

Remanufactured means that the phone is assembled the same way as a new phone, except that internal parts from returned phones are used.

25. SOLLERBOY thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'm back, the genius spotted it straight away and said it was something to do with the case. He swapped it for another new one and this one is perfect. We compared the two and there was something definatey off about the first one, the colour of the case was slightly different, the front panel was more reflective and completely uneven and the new one is heavier.