"Genius" Bar... Wow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by suckatcomputers, Mar 4, 2011.

1. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

At my "Genius" Bar appointment today, I couldn't help but eavesdrop on the appointment 2 ft away from me since I had the same issue until a couple days ago. I'm glad my guy was helpful (and hot):

They were talking about the SMS on his 13'', not sure if it was 2010 or 2011. The customer was complaining that his computer was too loud and asked why it's more sensitive.

Apply guy, "Well that's part of the reason why Apple is pushing towards calling them 'Notebooks' now and not 'Laptops,' because Apple's design is requiring more and more that they're used on a flat, hard surface and not on your lap... blah, blah..."

While what he said may be true, I don't think that was the answer the guy was looking for. I think we all bought ''Notebooks'' because we plan to carry them around and probably set them on our laps from time to time.

Since they're "notebooks", can I toss it on my desk or sit on it?

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Macbook Pros have been overheating since forever guess most people just accept it at this point

3. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

He brings up a good point though, I can't remember the last time I used a laptop on my lap. The iPad sort of full fills that need now.

4. flipster macrumors 6502a

Lol, 70% of the users on these forums know more than the "geniuses" at Apple. What he told that customer is complete bs. He didn't have the correct answer, so used somewhat of his common sense to give them a stupid answer.

Just saying. :apple:

5. Kauai macrumors 6502a

I can't remember the last time I used my laptop anywhere but my lap. Unless a pillow on my lap counts.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

This sounds about right to me from a genius. My gf took her iPhone in cause it all apps were crashing out and the genius told us that there were too many apps open and the phone was running out of memory...? I knew that this was total bs but I figured I'd give the benefit of the doubt. Needless to say we ended up back at the store a few days later to replace the phone. Apple geniuses can likely handle 90% of problems they face, but they don't know everything and at times really suggest some wrong stuff.

7. /user/me macrumors 6502

haha, i know what you mean :apple:

8. Sijmen macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a policy answer. Can’t blame the guy if that’s what’s he’s told to do.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

Its amazing how many people dont wear pants when surfing the internet on the couch.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Just because I feel like being an ass tonight, Genius is still wrong with regards to calling it a notebook. Apple uses the term "portable", not notebook or laptop. :p

11. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I think I can read posts on this forum for a few days and apply for a job there.

If that's Apple's "policy answer" and what he's told to do by his manager, I'd rather PAY somebody from this forum for an appointment with a real "genius.";)

12. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I dread when I'm at the mercy of a 'Genius' at the ol' bar. Always painful. Buying stuff at the Apple Store is always a joy, Genius Bar, not so much.

13. miles01110, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They haven't called "notebooks" "laptops" for quite some time now. It originated as a way to shift people away from blaming Apple if their legs got burned from the excessive heat of the early Macbooks/Pros.

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

This...adding on to why Apple calls their MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air, portables.

15. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Sackvillenb

This practice is not unique to apple

Although the temperature of "notebooks" is annoyingly high these days, I have to say that Apple is not the only company deliberately calling laptops "notebooks" for that reason.

Many PC manfucaturers do the same thing now (I used to be in the biz). And quite frankly, when's the last time you used ANY "laptop" (windows or mac) that didn't get really hot?? Sure, there are a few ones out there that stay relatively cool, but most laptops or notebooks run quite hot these days, and Apple is definitely not the only company using "notebook" terminology address the lack of lap-based functionality...

16. stevemiller macrumors 65816

correcting people on the internet is probably the most pointless past-time ever, but i can't resist... especially with all the misplaced smugness in this thread.

try going to apple's current macbook pro/air pages. they refer to the computer as a 'notebook' repeatedly. in fact when they released the unibody in 2008, the event was called "spotlight turns to notebooks"

as for the genius bar experience, i have no idea what you expected the guy to say. he said exactly what apple says (from their website):

so i mean, you can want and hope to use the notebook on your lap all you want, but it will get hot there (especially the quad cores, i'd imagine), and the fans will probably run more. if the thing gets so hot it shuts down when you're using it, then maybe there's something defective, but otherwise you're just arguing against the laws of physics, and i don't think you're gonna win that one...

17. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I believe they are "genius" because they work w/ apple product all day and get discount to buy apple product... winning~~

All kidding aside, I am sure it varies w/ who you get on genius bar.. some are just attractive and will just give great customer service w/ no helpful input.. some are truly helpful.... It is just glorified csr.. but I do like genius bar (everytime I go there I see bunch of people getting helped)..

Oki... my post is useless.. sorry.. Waiting on both new mbp and ipad 2 makes me bit... crazy~~ don't worry.. next week is gonna be good one.

18. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe after I left, but while I was there, heat was not mentioned nor was it mentioned in my post. :)

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You follow their website, I follow Apple tech/spec sheets and their corporate knowledge base. We've had numerous training on how to position Mac's and the "notebooks" as you call it are "portables" to Apple.

I only pointed this out because he's an Apple employee and he has access to all the documents and SGT's that clearly state that whenever referring to whatever related, it's a portable. If this were a customer who doesn't know any better, fine but as an employee who has this knowledge is telling customers something else, I think we can jump on that person in this thread.

It's not a big deal but like I said in my first post, felt like being an ass tonight. :D

20. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

IMO:

It doesn't matter what you call a MacBook Pro. Generally, it's referred to as a "laptop", unless we're missing something here in New York.

It's common sense for somebody to get their laptop off their lap if they are experiencing burning or pain. Apple must warn us so they don't get in stupid lawsuits like McDonald's getting sued for their coffee being too hot.

Most people who buy this small, lightweight, mobile, portable computer with an attached monitor, plan to take it to class/school, coffee shops, friend's houses, living room, bedroom, planes, etc. You can't expect customers to avoid placing it on their laps, stomach, etc.

I can't imagine a MacBook Pro getting hot enough to burn the skin, or malfunction on somebody's lap, so I don't know why I'm even giving my thoughts on all this.:confused:

21. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I haven't been able to do it in OS X but if you have Windows, load a game or something that depends heavily on CPU. Once it gets hot, the area right above the keyboard, you won't be able to leave your finger on there for more than a few seconds. It won't be hot enough to give you a severe burn but you will feel it! :D

22. suckatcomputers thread starter macrumors regular

I'll pass, haha.

"right above the keyboard" so that's not going to burn your LAP!:D

23. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah I only said that because it's convenient to touch there but the bottom plate of the MacBook Pro will be equally as hot, if not more. :D

24. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Do you think the Genius Bar beats the Geek Squad? I've heard some total BS from the Geek Squad over the years and once in a while you get someone who really knows his stuff.

25. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Does Geek Squad get periodic training? I mean if you're just comparing the support aspect of it, they're more or less the same but I'll give it the Genius Bar because they have periodic and updated training on all Apple products. What an employee does with that training will vary. You'll get some Geniuses that really know what they're talking about, other times you'll get a not so knowledgable Genius. I'm sure it would be the same for the Geek Squad.

That's just my two cents.