Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Genuine Apple cases copied on eBay.

Maybe I'm missing something… aren't there tons and tons of cases out there that are basically like Apple's but made out of TPU?

A quick search on Amazon turns up hundreds…

Ex: http://www.amazon.com/Minisuit-Frost-Case-iPhone-5S/dp/B009F39WB6

That's nothing like the Apple case?! The bottom is different, the buttons are different, where as the eBay one I found, although upon arrival it may prove different, is almost an identical case which is harder wearing, just with a different front screen edging.

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
That's nothing like the Apple case?! The bottom is different, the buttons are different, where as the eBay one I found, although upon arrival it may prove different, is almost an identical case which is harder wearing, just with a different front screen edging.

How exactly are the buttons any different than the fake Apple TPU case thats posted? Looks the same to me. You're right that particular case doesn't have individual cutouts for each hole on the bottom... but if you look through the hundreds of cases on Amazon, I'm pretty sure that you can find one with the cutouts as well. Just saying these TPU cases have been around forever and are not hard to find.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Thing is, they look really cheap and nasty, these ones do not, they look near on identical. I'll report back when mines arrived.

Lux12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
Thing is, they look really cheap and nasty, these ones do not, they look near on identical. I'll report back when mines arrived.

Yeah i agree it looks pretty identical to me other than the apple logo not being on it but still pretty nice. Also the description says that it also feels the same as the apple ones which i love because i LOVED the feel of the apple leather cases but the durability issues is what made me return it.

Make sure to post tons of pics when you get it! And by the way did it come with tracking?

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Yeah i agree it looks pretty identical to me other than the apple logo not being on it but still pretty nice. Also the description says that it also feels the same as the apple ones which i love because i LOVED the feel of the apple leather cases but the durability issues is what made me return it.

Make sure to post tons of pics when you get it! And by the way did it come with tracking?

I'm in the UK, as is the seller so no tracking, but I guess you could get it if you asked. If they're any good, I may buy a load and sell them to the USA for no profit to help others out. :)

Lux12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
I'm in the UK, as is the seller so no tracking, but I guess you could get it if you asked. If they're any good, I may buy a load and sell them to the USA for no profit to help others out. :)

Oh so the case should be arriving pretty soon then since the seller is also from the UK. And thanks! :) but i wouldn't mind paying a few bucks. I also hope they are good, theres something about this case that differs from the other TPU cases. Just keep us updated on the order!

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Agreed, it's either really high quality, or it's too good to be true lol.

It's primarily polymer plastic, but that could be reinforced with metal strips etc to add rigidity and strength. The finish is a million miles away from the cheap rubber looking things you normally get.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Well it's arrived... And if I'm honest, don't bother! It's okay, and doesn't feel that cheap but the overall fit isn't perfect and suffering from phone OCD means it's no good for me lol.
7y6ymema.jpg
uqere8u6.jpg
ynybygu6.jpg
hy6ejysu.jpg
pa8a8ugy.jpg

n00bz0rd2

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
I received a red one today as well and mine is spot on. Case fits nicely and cut outs are perfect. Maybe you got a dud one?

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Seller has emailed me more pics after requesting some... They look good to me.ImageImage

I could tell that looks like the most pathetic plastic fantastic piece of junk I have ever seen just from the sample photos, glad you came to your senses.

I received a red one today as well and mine is spot on. Case fits nicely and cut outs are perfect. Maybe you got a dud one?

I think you just have no standards. If you standards for a case are "is this the right color" and "does it actually fit", the bar is way too low. The moulding lines are extremely poorly finished, the materials are terrible, the proportions are ugly on the top edge and unnecessarily thick, and the whole things looks like a defectively manufactured poorly designed toy for toddlers. Seriously if a phone case in any way reminds you more a toys 'r' us toy then something is wrong.

n00bz0rd2

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
I think you just have no standards. If you standards for a case are "is this the right color" and "does it actually fit", the bar is way too low. The moulding lines are extremely poorly finished, the materials are terrible, the proportions are ugly on the top edge and unnecessarily thick, and the whole things looks like a defectively manufactured poorly designed toy for toddlers. Seriously if a phone case in any way reminds you more a toys 'r' us toy then something is wrong.
You're judging my standards over a mobile phone case? Wow. What else about me do you know? If you don't like the case, that's fine. Just don't comment about people you know nothing about. Oh and by the way, it's just a phone case so stop treating it like it's a piece of jewellery.

mirz2000

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2013
US
Well it's arrived... And if I'm honest, don't bother! It's okay, and doesn't feel that cheap but the overall fit isn't perfect and suffering from phone OCD means it's no good for me lol.

Well, that's a bummer. Thanks for letting us know and posting pictures, though! From the pictures, it looks pretty nice. I would also be curious to see it installed on a phone.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Indeed you did sir, wasn't mad at you, not even close, i just wished they had copied that too.. i'm mad at them! :D

But I also believe a full copy will pop up and perhaps closer to the original in material and manufacture

Sorry dude, think I read your reply in the wrong way lol.

I'm looking forward to a high quality copy, or even a genuine copy made from a more durable finish.

Lammercy

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
I could tell that looks like the most pathetic plastic fantastic piece of junk I have ever seen just from the sample photos, glad you came to your senses.

Lol are you serious? Grow up! Your judging someone on a damn phone case!

croasan

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I ordered the beige one on tuesday, but the seller sent me an email telling that this color is very popular and he will send the case in few days. I'll post some photos :)

Lux12

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2013
I ordered the beige one on tuesday, but the seller sent me an email telling that this color is very popular and he will send the case in few days. I'll post some photos :)

Yeah i saw beige sold out fast, now its restocked. And please do post pictures because i was thinking of getting the beige but i was scared it might look pink.

croasan

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
I received the case yesterday (finally!). I bought the original case few days ago but I returned to the Apple Store because the wearing (the beige model is soooo frustrating).

This case is all that original isn't for me. It have no wear with the use and I'm not worried about the material (leather is too fragile). I don't know if I have standards, but I saved 40$ and I'm really happy with this case ;)

F8k11ew.jpg

CrfNeyB.jpg

ag7b9vu.jpg

1ORovRB.jpg

4bpJxAB.jpg

POJDuA8.jpg

imBqVZU.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.