George Lucas retiring...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by velocityg4, Jan 19, 2012.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/magazine/george-lucas-red-tails.html?_r=2

Though he says he's going to still make some small personal films.

Hopefully this means that we will finally get a Blu Ray release of the original Star Wars trilogy. No CGI, Greedo shoots first, changed music, skinny Jabba &c. Hopefully this means someone else will be taking over Lucas Arts.

Also lets hope for a KOTOR 3. Not the MMO TOR bile.

I've actually considered buying a Laserdisc player off eBay to get the best possible quality of unadulterated Star Wars. Then ripping them to the computer.

2. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

I hope there are more SW films. George did a great job on the first three and the prequels were okay. But I'd love to see someone else take a stab at it.

3. danahn17 macrumors 6502

I dunno... the prequels were okay but not that great. And Lucas couldn't stop tinkering with his films. .

And let's not get into Indiana Jones...

That being said, Lucas was really influential to his craft and it'll be interesting to see what he does now with his upcoming projects.

4. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Maybe JJ Abrams. He did a great job with Star Trek. He could make a slightly dark and very emotional Star Wars.

Christopher Nolan could also do it. Then it would be a very dark and compelling story.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

6. danahn17 macrumors 6502

I know dark and emotional are the flavors of the day for blockbuster films... but does Star Wars really needs that? I feel like darkness (on par with like Batman) would feel very incongruous with all the other Star Wars films.

The only way i can see a dark Star Wars is with a reboot and i doubt a Star Wars reboot will happen anytime soon.

7. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I don't know...Episode III was pretty dark.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

IIRC, Star Wars is a 9 chapter saga.

We've only seen the first 6 and Lucas mentioned at least 20 years ago (or longer) that he didn't want to make the last 3 into movies.. Perhaps someone like Abrams could do it.. All under LucasFilm's umbrella (since Fox was stupid in letting him keep the rights to the IP)..

BL.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm not surprised. if he would have just left his films alone there would have been a lot less criticism. either redo them completely or leave them be.

the prequels were okay. they could have been a lot better but i think after so much time there was too much pressure and too much disconnect to make them 'right'.

10. Fresh Tendrils macrumors regular

I agree. This is the problem with cinema today. One film is successful, so everyone jumps on the bandwagon and copies its style irrespective of the source material, until that style becomes worn out. 'Dark' Batman its great. But not everything needs to be dark. IMO very few scenes from the original trilogy are dark, so why film it that way. The Phantom Menace was disappointing because it strayed from the original. They shouldn't make the same mistake again.

Besides, George Lucas has plotted out a live action Star Wars TV series. That would be the most sensible project for someone else to pursue if they really want to. The problem is that no network wants to fund it because it's a lot cheaper to make reality TV. But maybe someone else can come to it fresh and find a way to bring production costs down, while still making a good program.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

He can retire but it would be nice of someone can reboot Star Wars with his support.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Maybe now he can devote his considerable talents to curing Cancer? :rolleyes:

13. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

The time to do that was when the cast was still young. Mark Hamill could have continued on as a new jedi, etc. But I have a feeling we have not seen the last of SW.

14. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

But they (Hamill, ford, fisher ect) are arround the right age to be reprising there roles arround the time of the new jedi order, legacy of the force series, and the time between the fall of the empire and the yhuzan-vong invasion could easily be fleshed out on the crawl at the beginning of VII. And its a dark enough storyline for jj abrahms to get away with doing it.

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

On a side note, I'm very interested to see how Red Tails is going to do. Having read an article in Las Vegas' newspaper as the first screening of the movie happened there on Thursday, with one of the surviving members of the Tuskegee Airmen in attendance, the reviews were great, if not nearly completely accurate (not to spoil it, but the airman stated that there was a scene where they were all in the air talking on the radios, when in real life they were ordered to maintain radio silence).

Seeing that not only is the entire main cast all Black, and stupidly enough, no studio in Hollywood wanted to invest in the movie to where Lucas put up his own money for the entire production, I'm hoping this movie does well, especially for being probably his last big budget movie.

BL.

16. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

Since there seems to be some JJ Abrahams fans on here, could you enlighten me as to what he's done that makes you think he has the ability to do anything well at all?

I thought Lost was just silly. A big never ending tease. And the Star Trek reboot was an insult to any Star Trek fan. It doesn't deserve the genre label of sic-fi.

Sure if you'd like Star Wars to have more cool, beautiful people with motorbikes and shallow dialogue then let's get JJ to have a go.

The guy is successful because he panders to the middle ground as best as he can. He makes films like he's baking a cake, throwing in as many safe and proven elements to try to ensure financial success but the results are always so much less than they should have been if you're a bit more discerning.

17. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Oh there are plenty of interesting places he could take it.

[​IMG]

18. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

I find your sense of humour disturbing.

:)

19. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

[​IMG]

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

21. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Eposide 2 also.

The problem with Star Wars - ep 6 and 1 were too commercial.

Empire was perfect.

Guess thats why I liked the new Battlestar.. for its darkness.

Star Wars 7, 8 and 9 will be made eventually, I'm sure.

Either that or 1,2,3,4,5,6 will be re-made. Episode 1 is ripe for a remake.

22. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Frankly, I'd rather see new ideas coming forward from young producers rather than rehash the past.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I thought he became a milk farmer. I guess the cows are finally dry.

24. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Good riddance. Should've done so before the prequels.

25. puma1552 macrumors 601

You mean he's retiring from the one lousy movie trilogy he made 30 years ago and has milked his entire career off of?

For shame!