Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Right now self-driving electric cars from Tesla have a higher death rate than motorcycles.

I don't think this is true...

The fatality rate for autopilot-equipped Teslas is one per 320 million miles driven (they don't break it out between moments when the driver was in charge and the autopilot, which would be hard given that many accidents probably happen at handoff). That's 4 time safer than the US national rate of 1 fatality per 86 million miles driven.

Motorcycles in 2016 had a fatality rate of 1 per 3.9 million miles driven...

I have to assume autopilot wins here.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Right on schedule — another :apple:car rumor. Does anyone even remember the years of TV rumors that were spoon-fed to the investment community?

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Said everyone in 2006 at the prospect of Apple making their own phone. Why even bother? The cell phone market is mature. There are so many big players already like Nokia, Blackberry, Palm, Sony and Motorola. Those companies are going to be the top phone makers forever. Nothing will ever surpass Windows Mobile, Symbian and Blackberry OS. Apple is too late to the game! They've missed their chance.

You make a good point, but cars? There's only so much hardware and software engineering that goes into designing and building a car, I can't see Apple bringing much value, let alone adhering to the consumer expectation of new models each year. They can't even manage that with their current product lines (although I peg that on the construction and transition to their new campus).

You may be right. In some reality, Apple could transform the car industry. But then I ask you... why isn't Tesla already doing that? Or have they? Has their push for electric cars forced other car companies to do the same? I think so.

Vehicle construction just doesn't feel right for Apple to me. They need to focus on their core products. There's aspects of macOS that have been neglected for YEARS!

Reactions: macduke

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why even bother? Tesla is going to be far ahead of any car Apple could put out. They've missed their chance.

And Apple missed their chance when Motorola, Ericsson, and Nokia (referred to as MEN in the wireless telecom industry) had a huge lock on cellular phones.

Apple was also late to the game with MP3 players.

I can see an Apple van. Makes sense.
[doublepost=1550767387][/doublepost]
Because nothing is more trendy or cool then a van.

That's where the market is now.

Last year Ford decided to stop producing cars (with the exception of two models) and focus on trucks, SUVs, and vans.

Reactions: pianophile

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
And Apple missed their chance when Motorola, Ericsson, and Nokia (referred to as MEN in the wireless telecom industry) had a huge lock on cellular phones.

Apple was also late to the game with MP3 players.

I can see an Apple van. Makes sense.
Would you say the same if Ford Motor Co. announced that it was opening a new division with the goal of making tablets or cell phones? After all, they have over a century of experience with mass production and supply chain management.

Reactions: AlumaMac

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Yeah, but no headphone jack!
LOL! Wrong.

I have installed a period-original UK Radiomobile AM/FM radio (circa 1965) with a modified connection to an iPhone SE which connects via a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I can play my playlists off the iPhone SE off the original (mono) speakers (two front, left and right, and one behind the rear shelf)

Looks all original (and you can see the 3.5mm headphone jack, wrapped on the right ready for plugin to an iPhone SE that lies on the hidden shelf to the left):

IMG_0754.jpg

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
The Apple car turns out to be a custom shuttle bus for Apple Park.

Well, that's actually the next sensible step for self-driving vehicles - communal people-moving in a restricted environment that can easily be made 'friendly' for self-driving. Privately-owned self-drivers that can safely go anywhere on existing roads in regular traffic really are the long game.

Said everyone in 2006 at the prospect of Apple making their own phone.

A "smartphone" is mainly just a handheld computer with personal audio and camera facilities, and Apple were a computer company with a major sideline in personal audio and even had past experience (& probably a sheaf of patents) in cameras (Quicktake) and handheld computers (Newton). Also, phone makers were starting to add audio players to phones and you didn't have to be a genius to see how that was going to kill the iPod stone dead if Apple didn't get in on the game.

With cars, Apple were pretty much starting from scratch (making electronics & software for established automakers would seem more credible). Also, unless Apple have something really magical up their sleeve, it does seem that Tesla have already done the disruptive outsider thing. (Come one - if you hadn't heard of Tesla and someone glued an Apple logo on one, you'd be convinced...)

Why would you bet against a van?

This is the company that won't produce a PCIe mini-tower Mac (the analogy with 'some people need the computer equivalent of a van/pick-up' has been frequently made). If they produce a 'van' it will be a gull-wing SUV (except... don't Tesla already do that?)

aliebel

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
San Antonio, TX
But of course it makes sense for them to develop for Apple Park along side any project they are working for consumers. May even help them test.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why, because one company hails from SillyCon Valley, and the other has a HQ in Michigan?

When you say "SillyCon Valley," are you referring to the geographical area roughly between San Jose and San Francisco that has helped propel California, with its $2.7 trillion GDP, to have the 5th largest economy in the world? US, China, Japan, Germany, California, UK,...

If so, that's a very juvenile characterization.

Reactions: pianophile

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
The whole point is you wont be driving it. You’ll “hey Siri get me a car,” one rolls up, you throw your stuff in it and get in, it takes you where you are going, and you get out. You are automatically charge with Apple Pay, you don’t have to park it, the car goes and gets someone else, and you move on with your life.

Yeah, I can only imagine how disgusting the interiors of 'public use' cars will get in no time. Candy and crackers from families with kids, vomit from people overdoing it at the bars. I don't think personal car ownership, self-driving or not, will be going anywhere any time soon. I know I'll continue to own a car.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
Why even bother? Tesla is going to be far ahead of any car Apple could put out. They've missed their chance.

If they stay in business... Musk made all of Tesla patents available to the entire auto industry and world for free. The reason he did this is so hopefully others will follow. If you don't understand that you are missing the whole point of what Tesla does and what Musk intends.

Congratulations! The first post in a thread rarely misses the mark by this much.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
My friends have a Chrysler Pacifica electric mini-van. It's a plug-in hybrid that gets 30 or 40 miles on the electric motor before needing to switch to the gas engine. I didn't even know the thing existed before they bought it. They had to have it transported 1500 miles from California, I think, to where we live in Missouri.

But you were probably speaking of a full electric mini-van.

Yes I was referring to full electric minivans. I know about the Pacifica hybrid and do appreciate it for starting the process of bringing a full electric minivan though.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Said everyone in 2006 at the prospect of Apple making their own phone. Why even bother? The cell phone market is mature. There are so many big players already like Nokia, Blackberry, Palm, Sony and Motorola. Those companies are going to be the top phone makers forever. Nothing will ever surpass Windows Mobile, Symbian and Blackberry OS. Apple is too late to the game! They've missed their chance.

The car market is even more mature.

Reactions: macduke

Marcus PM

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2011
Remember: apple is focusing on services. What better service offering than a subscription computer on wheels. Get in, listen to your Apple Music or watch your Apple TV while it drives you to where you’re going, and then goes and gets the next passenger.
[doublepost=1550766580][/doublepost]
That’s what Tesla was rumored to be working toward. But Apple doesnt need to sell the cars - no reason to buy it, either. As long as i can ask Siri for a car and one comes within a few minutes (or i can schedule one to arrive when i need it) there’s no need for me to own the car.
That's the point. You don't need to buy one, only call for it when you want one. Others can buy one and put it into the "network" to earn cash for them as an investment.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
We should pump the brakes on the van idea. Apple may very well have used a van form factor as a test bed for materials, components and software. That is in no way an indicator that their Apple car would come as a van. If anything, it would be an easy way for Apple to camouflage their actual vehicle design until it's closer to fruition.

It’s really going to be the 700+ HP 2020 GT 500.

Reactions: 69Mustang

Romeo_Nightfall

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2018
Vienna
LOL! Wrong.

I have installed a period-original UK Radiomobile AM/FM radio (circa 1965) with a modified connection to an iPhone SE which connects via a 3.5mm headphone jack.

I can play my playlists off the iPhone SE off the original (mono) speakers (two front, left and right, and one behind the rear shelf)

Looks all original (and you can see the 3.5mm headphone jack, wrapped on the right ready for plugin to an iPhone SE that lies on the hidden shelf to the left):

View attachment 822907

Go wireless, dude amazon offers some cheap stuff You can even talk too

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Well this is sexy. Will the black show fingerprints? Scratch easier?

If I understand Tesla correctly, they’re making great strides in technology and innovation but aren’t financially stable. This could hurt them in the long run if they can’t get the revenue to keep them afloat.

Reactions: imola.zhp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.