Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spinland

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2011
Utica, NY, USA
Fingers crossed. For tax purposes I need to get my end-of-year hardware budget spent before the 1st. They can deliver it in 2014 if needs be, just as long as my receipt says 2013.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
People keep ripping on the new Mac Pro but in truth it would make for an incredible HTPC. I plan on buying the midrange model for precisely this purpose as soon as it's available for purchase from Apple directly. It also looks absolutely beautiful and would look great in any living room.

Holy overkill, Batman! The lowest-specced model is more than is needed for an HTPC (unless you're talking 4K) and it will need a large external drive

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Actually most of the parts you cannot buy from newegg, etc. Still can't find a thirdparty that does 1866 ECC that doesn't cost $1000.

I dunno, the only troubles I had were with finding the right CPU and graphics cards, actually. But I mostly stuck to TigerDirect since I live up north.

My attempt at trying to get a 6-core system that matches the 6-core on Apple's canadian website... (The base 6-core is listed at $4099.)

CPU: Intel® Xeon® E5-1660, 3.7 GHz, 15 MB Cache
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8570147&CatId=1969

$1,257.65

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Desktop Memory Kit - DDR3, (4x4GB), 1866MHz
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1705152&CatId=4534

$266.99

Graphics Cards:
— AMD FirePro W5000, 2GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16),
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3906520&CatId=7387

$444.97 x 2 = $889.94

— AMD FirePro W7000, 4GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0(x16)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3906521&CatId=7387

$769.97 x 2 = $1539.94

SSD: VisionTek PCI-e 480GB SSD
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7974821&CatId=5303

$696.99 - $70.50 = $626.49

Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard with BT4.0/Wi-Fi GA-Z77X-UP5-TH by Gigabyte
http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B008LTB3QW

$465.98

Case: Cooler Master RC-600-KKN1-GP Gladiator 600 Mid Tower Case
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4950639&CatId=1842

$70

PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M 850W
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5309345&CatId=106

$183.99 - $24.02 = $159.97

$0.00 ;)

Grand Total: $3737.02 - $4387.02

Conclusion: It's not a perfect match, but assuming I didn't miss any parts, Apple's price actually seems pretty competitive.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
I dunno, the only troubles I had were with finding the right CPU and graphics cards, actually. But I mostly stuck to TigerDirect since I live up north.

My attempt at trying to get a 6-core system that matches the 6-core on Apple's canadian website... (The base 6-core is listed at $4099.)
Grand Total: $3737.02 - $4387.02

Conclusion: It's not a perfect match, but assuming I didn't miss any parts, Apple's price actually seems pretty competitive.

Nice analysis…thank you!!!:D

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
why do people make such a big deal out of the FirePro video cards? anybody who knows about this stuff knows that the only difference between firepro and regular radeon cards is firmware, and higher spec'd ram. Is that really worth $400 over the comparable product? half the reason for that firmware is to support advanced features of cad and 3d applications - most of which are not available on OSX anyway.

you need to keep that in mind when figuring your costs. the D300 is effectively the same thing as a 7870, with higher spec'd ram. Newegg was selling a 7870 this morning on special for $140.

ages ago i bought a FireGL X3 off ebay for $130 for my G5, and flashed it with the X800 firmware. saved $370 over what apple would have charged me for literally the same card. some things never change.

edit - this thread has more info, and basically says the same thing - "D300 is a gimmick"
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1657362/

Because there is a lot of armchair engineers out there. Even AMD said parts between their workstation & desktop cards are not interchangeable. Which means they don't even use exactly the same hardware.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hoping the new Thunderbolt Display(s) will also be released December 16th. :)

I'm not holding my breath in the date being right but I do think they will make the December avail cause the Mac Pro will be a big seller to businesses want to spend out a budget so they don't lose it etc.

And I do hope there are new displays. More than just a 27 inch model, TV like refresh rates at 1080p and decent ones at 4k. HDMI as well as display port/thunderbolt. Something that could be used as either a computer display or a mid size TV. For Apple TV, blu ray players etc. 3d capable would be nice also. Even if just passive.

And then give us downloadable files as closer to bluray, parity with features from disks, 3d etc in iTunes. And finally make good in Steve saying iTunes extras and LP will return to Apple TV.

Do that with the displays and the store and the analysts will flip out. Because that is not the real TV they were looking for.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This can only end well :p

What if there is no Mac Pro on December 16 ? German Retailers will have to explain that "oh,, we thought ...."

Apple hasn't officially said anything yet. I'm not even gonna predict either, since i'll get it wrong...

However, Apple would probably just to a silent update, just like the iMac..

No-one noticed....

I guess i could say it'll be by the end of the month...

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
This can only end well :p

What if there is no Mac Pro on December 16 ? German Retailers will have to explain that "oh,, we thought ...."

Apple hasn't officially said anything yet. I'm not even gonna predict either, since i'll get it wrong...

However, Apple would probably just to a silent update, just like the iMac..

No-one noticed....

I guess i could say it'll be by the end of the month...

The iMac was a speed bump and a faster SSD. The Mac Pro, should be at least a press-release.

td2243

Cancelled
Mar 14, 2013
Santa Fe, NM
Actually, these guys are pretty smart. They KNOW the price of two configurations and are selling preorders of those. Makes sense to me. They are just guessing at a date, unless they have some dealer info (which they very well may have).

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Actually, these guys are pretty smart. They KNOW the price of two configurations and are selling preorders of those. Makes sense to me. They are just guessing at a date, unless they have some dealer info (which they very well may have).

You realize those prices are just listed on apple''s site. So, they don't know anything new that the rest of us don't. I think they are just guessing like everyone else.

The date makes logical sense, and if they are wrong they will just move the date and say delayed. Allow people to cancel. Also why would anyone order from them when you can order from Apple. It's not like they will have a special stock.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
If I get a New Mac Pro is to replace the enclosure and create a custom one. For the rest I do not have use for it.

Apple0001

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2013
The new Mac Pro is great...

Yet I have to say that I am surprised that it will be available and partnered with the now quite old version of the Thunderbolt Display. It seems rather bizarre to advertise the Mac Pro as possessing the ability to drive "x" number of displays, yet have only a display that has not been updated in 812 days. If Dell can manage to put out a 4K display, surely Apple can muster a like amount of technological prowess. LOL.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Actually most of the parts you cannot buy from newegg, etc. Still can't find a thirdparty that does 1866 ECC that doesn't cost $1000.

I think the build you can do is HP Z620 (Decent machine), but again, no PCI-ex SSD's because they don't exist, outside of OCZ ones, which are awful crashing non-enterprise pieces of crap. Accesslior from OWC comes close, but for 950gb it's 1300 vs 1000 on the current imac (I assume mac pro pricing will be similar).

The HP comes out to around the same price as the Mac Pro with similar video cards (again, the ones used in Mac Pro are not available in PCIex format).

So I'm going to wait and buy the Mac Pro, since the costs are virtually the same anyway.

----------

We haven't confirmed that the Mac Pro uses 1XXX and not 2XXX. For the 4 and 6 core, maybe. But there is no 1XXX processor for 8 or 12. While yes, it doesn't support dual-procs, there is a HUGE difference between 2XXX and a 4XXX i7. One of which is stability, (although some of that is attributed to ECC memory). Not to mention 4xxx i7 is capped at a quad core. I7 is probably clocked higher, but the second you come to needing more cores (virtual machines, rendering, etc) the I7 immediately feels like a personal gaming rig.

The 4 core uses E5-1620 v2

http://ark.intel.com/products/75779/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-1620-v2-10M-Cache-3_70-GHz

The 6 core uses E5-1650 v2

http://ark.intel.com/products/75780/

There is no maybe about it. However, people suggesting that that 47zz blah blah blah is nearly the same thing so blah blah blah is just frustrating and silly. It really does make me want to bang my head against the tree.

----------

CPU: Intel® Xeon® E5-1660, 3.7 GHz, 15 MB Cache
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8570147&CatId=1969

Unfortunately your choice of CPU is incorrect. The 6 core uses the E5-1650 v2, not the 1660 v2.

Apple: Intel Xeon E5 with 12MB L3 cache and Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

That is the E5-1650 v2.

Helmlein

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
they are sold out now anyway...

Aufgrund der hohen Nachfrage ist das Produkt leider nicht mehr verfügbar....

H.

jayroc2k

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
Customs VAT and excise

Everyone in the UK seems to conveniently forget Customs, VAT and excise duties.

anyone who has been sent a bill from Her Majesties tax office after buying an item on Ebay that was shipped from Hong Kong would know that such additional bills wipe out any savings.

Hence the price differential. PLUS, we look at US prices and ignore US state taxes. 8% on 3k is 240 bucks...

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
Price is indeed tight, they're offering more power than you'd expect from that money. Problem is that 3000€ is unreasonable for me because I don't need two GPUs, nor such a fast SSD (a good SSD would be fine for me). Basically I'd be happy with a Mini with discrete GPU and a faster CPU. But that's an iMac, and I don't want an iMac. So, I think I'll wait for future Macs. My budget is 2000€, and what I'd like is a Mac Mini with components worth 2000€

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
I have a feeling people complaining about price have no idea how much components in that thing cost.
I think many of those complaints are just the expression of Apple still lacking a mid-range desktop machine w/o integrated monitor in their portfolio, which is more configurable/expandable than the mini.

Apple could probably offer this nice machine significantly cheaper by not using exclusively the latest professional-grade components, but instead offering a "prosumer / enthusiast" edition with consumer-grade components.

That could differ externally in e.g. colour and offered ports, and internally in e.g. offering 1x3.5"/2x2.5" bay(s) in place of the second graphic card, SATA-SSD and generally lower-tier components.

Kind of a "Mac mini on steroids", using the design language and components of the Mac Pro.

Last edited:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I think many of those complaints are just the expression of Apple still lacking a mid-range desktop machine w/o integrated monitor in their portfolio, which is more configurable/expandable than the mini.

Apple could probably offer this nice machine significantly cheaper by not using exclusively the latest professional-grade components, but instead offering a "prosumer / enthusiast" edition with consumer-grade components.

That could differ externally in e.g. colour and offered ports, and internally in e.g. offering 1x3.5"/2x2.5" bay(s) in place of the second graphic card, SATA-SSD and generally lower-tier components.

Kind of a "Mac mini on steroids", using the design language of the Mac Pro.

I think a Mac Mini with Thunderbolt 2, PCIe SSD and dedicated GPU is that machine.

So that can be achieved with the current Mini form factor I think.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
And they only have the two options that apple announced

Those will likely be the only two configurations sold in stores. Other options are BTO and you can usually only get those straight from Apple.

Where does it appear that supplies are tightly constrained?

It's in the article. It says that it appears that supplies of the cpu chips from intel are constrained right now.

That estimates $1200 for dual video cards. Assuming that number is in the ballpark, that's a huge waste of money for users whose software doesn't take advantage of them. A version with $200 worth of GPU would drop the price a grand, which would be much more competitive for those users.

But for anyone not going GPU heavy work the quad doesn't really make sense anyway, the reason to get it is to get more than four cores which is only available in this machine.

they are likely in a 3x2 configuration

Yes, the six thunderbolt ports use two channels.

We haven't confirmed that the Mac Pro uses 1XXX and not 2XXX. For the 4 and 6 core, maybe. But there is no 1XXX processor for 8 or 12.

It is confirmed that the four and six core versions use the 16xx series, the specs match those and there are no 26xx versions with those specs. And there is an eight core E5-1680 v2 although for whatever reason intel doesn't link it from their E5 list page.

http://ark.intel.com/products/77912/

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place

Kind of a "Mac mini on steroids", using the design language and components of the Mac Pro.

People have been talking about the fabled xMac for years, the closest we got was the Digital Audio Powermacs.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
The cheapest Mac Pro costs 3,000 USD in the US, but comes at a revolutionary high price of 4,300 USD (28,000 SEK) in Sweden. Yay! :)

I'm glad that Germany doesn't have it much better, though.

How much of that is VAT?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.