Gestures ipad1 no jailbreak

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by tgcken, Oct 20, 2011.

1. tgcken, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

tgcken macrumors member

Found this article, planning on trying it out.

http://lifehacker.com/5851823/how-t...ng-on-the-ipad-1-without-jailbreaking#windows

Can not verify success/smoothness, will post more after I try it.

Anyone else done this yet?

--It would appear I need to get my hands on a mac to do this, unless the windows method works for ios5 as well?

--proceed with caution, according to the original forum thread there have been issues with ibooks and safari for some users.

-> It appears this trick is no longer needed.

dubbed 5.0.1 that "fixes bugs affecting battery life," as well as bringing multitasking gestures to the original iPad, improving voice recognition for Australian accents, and fixing bugs with documents in Apple's iCloud.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20129296-248/apple-iphone-battery-issue-due-to-ios-5-fix-coming/

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its still a jailbreak, but a temporary one. A jailbreak is any way the root filesystem is modified by unauthorized means.

3. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

The article says it also enables display mirroring, I can't get this to work, no option for it to mirror like on the iPhone 4S. That's all I wanted to get this for, oh well.

4. tgcken thread starter macrumors member

ah, sorry i couldn't help there. What I really want is gestures on my iphone 4. granted the screen is a bit cramped, its better than not being able to use the phone and my home button is not too fantastic.

gestures on my ipad 1 would be neat too though. might have to try this on my roommates mac

5. biohead macrumors 6502

Great find! Gestures working fine for me.

Awaiting my hdmi adapter to test mirroring.

6. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

If your Home button is dead/dying then you can go. .

Settings>General>Accessibilty>AssistiveTouch>

Turn AssistiveTouch On.

Now you will have a virtual Home Button that floats on your screen. You can drag it around too, incase it is ever in your way.

7. tgcken thread starter macrumors member

Sweet. I love that menu, I hate that little button though. I wish there were just a simple gesture that would bring up that menu.

oh well =/

8. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I think it's only wired mirroring (so you'd need a Dock Connector to HDMI/VGA adapter) - after following the steps, it worked for me and I connected it to both my monitor and my TV.

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This has been confirmed on the forums where the mod was introduced. It is wired mirroring only. Now I'm going to invest in the AV adapter. The gestures work smooth as silk on the 1st gen iPad. I think it's pretty crappy that Apple chose not to include them for the 1st gen models in iOS 5.

10. mtvalenz macrumors newbie

Ipad 1 gestures

Can anyone else confirm if this works on the Ipad 1? I am going to try it tonight. Also where does itunes store the backup file on Windows XP? I couln't find it where they say it is in the article. Thanks!!

11. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

Redsn0w kills both Safari and the email app. I am not willing to sacrifice email and internet browsing for some gestures. Not happy that I just wasted an hour jailbreaking then restoring my iPad.

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Both Safari and email work just fine for me with the mod installed on my 1G iPad. Not sure what you did wrong but clearly Redsn0w kills neither.

I haven't gotten the Apple AV Adapter yet to confirm mirroring yet but will do so this week.

13. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I just tried it a second time using redsn0w 9.9.7b instead of 9.9.6b and it worked! Email and Safari work fine, there is no Cydia, but I can use the multitask gestures.

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Cool, glad to hear it. I'm still on 0.9.9b5.

Is WiFi mirroring working yet? That's the feature I'm really wishing for.

15. biohead macrumors 6502

There's no cydia as its not a jailbreak per se. It just modifies the necessary system file, which I'm guessing doesn't have any signature checks and so it can boot as normal.

Do you mean AirPlay mirroring? That doesn't work with this hack, only wired mirroring.

16. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thank you for this information. Yes, I was referring to WiFi mirroring. As I mentioned I am using the 0.9.9b5 hack as posted here. At first, I ended up with a non-functioning iBooks that would crash immediately on startup but after reinstalling the mod everything seems to be working fine, including Safari, email and iBooks. The gestures are smooth and I'm sure once I get the Apple AV Adapter the Airplay Mirroring will also be fine as reported by many other users of this mod.

I just won't bother updating the 0.9.9b7 then.

I agree, I really hope Apple officially offers these features to 1G iPad users. :mad:

17. biohead macrumors 6502

AirPlay mirroring does not work with this hack. Only with the digital AV cable.

I don't know where you have heard it does :confused:

18. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

My mistake again. I guess "Airplay" means WiFi. :rolleyes:

I am going to be getting the Apple AV Adapter for wired mirroring.

19. stix macrumors member

You just didn't do the second reboot from DFU after the jailbreak. After the initial boot after JB, Safari and Mail will crash. Follow the instructions to put it back into DFU and "Just boot"... then nothing will crash anymore :)

20. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

But the gestures aren't supposed to require a jailbreak, so it shouldn't have required a second reboot. 9.9.7b did not require a reboot, it just added the gestures (which are really nice BTW, why wouldn't Apple include this?)

21. biohead macrumors 6502

Did 9.9.6b require I reboot (I can't remember and thats the one I used)?

Either way - if one extra reboot is all it takes to make things work after running the payload... it's not really a problem now is it? :rolleyes:

22. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

No, that means that instead of just installigthe gesture fix it did the whole jailbreak to my iPad. I don't want to have to plug it into my computer every time I reboot.

23. biohead macrumors 6502

You're using the wrong package then in that case. You MUST use the specially crafted one. DO NOT use standard redsn0w.

Best bet is to restore from backup, download the correct package (follow the links in the article - its NOT a standard redsn0w package) then apply the patch.

Here is the package you need: http://localhostr.com/download/Akqdwni/redsn0w_mac_0.9.9b5_gestures_only.zip

24. mtvalenz macrumors newbie

Has anyone gotten the gestures to work with Windows? And what would you recommend I use?

25. Steeley macrumors regular

Steeley

This killed iBooks for me so I had to restore from backup :(