Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Careful comparing benchmarks of chips that boost and throttle with core i and fans. They are Not comparable.

Well, yes, under heavy load for extended periods of time the MacBook will throttle and slow down while a core i with a fan will not, but unless you're doing hardcore video editing or other strenuous tasks for significant periods of time, you won't notice the difference. So for most scenarios the two are comparable I'd say.

When I had the 2015 MacBook a few months ago I put it under heavy load nearly everyday and it never had a problem. Considering the Skylake Core M chips are ~30% more efficient than the Broadwell Core M and throttle much less, this will be even less of a problem.

SSD-GUY

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2012
Interstellar
It's simple really.

If you already have a 2015 rMB, and your storage needs haven't changed (as IMO, no point upgrading to the 2016 rMB from the 2015 rMB for CPU or even GPU needs, as Broadwell to Skylake isn't going to be that noticeable; i.e, this rMB is suddenly going to be able to play GTA V), then the 2015 rMB is fine. I highly recommend getting Applecare for your 2015 rMB though.

If you were on the fence about ordering a rMB, and/or were waiting for Skylake, then get the skylake edition, unless you can find the 2015 rMB at a nice discounted price.

I also advise holding out till WWDC in June, just to see what Apple does with the rMBP. If Apple is going the way of Windows OEMs, we could see a rMBP in a thin and light package like the XPS 13/Razer Blade Stealth, both which weigh around 1.25KG, so only 300g or more than the rMB.

Reactions: Queen6

c0mm0n

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Good for you, i wonder if you like the keyboard after using it a while
[doublepost=1461255898][/doublepost]for me it was strange but after i wrote 2 pages, when i use my Mbp keyboard is strange, little keys bigger space between them, i mean is less travel on 12", i write faster on it. And i love it at night, the bleeding of my MBP keyboard looking so ugly, i really hope they update at WWDC the MBP with individual led keys

I found it strange but accommodated very quickly to my surprise.

Have been going back and forth from the mb and the apple keyboard (not the magic) and it takes a few words to settle every time.

I've been told the Magic is closer to the mb, and may give it a try.

touchstoned

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2015
Hermosa Beach, CA
I'm not particularly sure what you're trying to say or whom you're arguing against in the above.

I'm still waiting for your answer to a very simple question:
With what specific applications and in what specific instances does a ~850MB/s SSD write speed make a discernible difference from a ~450MB/s SSD write speed? Note the read speeds are close and both in the 800-900MB/s range.

Seems like you're unable to answer since every response is off in a different direction.
It would effectively double the speed (and half the time) of any write operation. Saving, any kind of video editing... zip/unzip, and encryption all will be noticeably faster

c0mm0n

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Geekbench recap from french site

8% from 1.1 to m3 is weak, don't buy the m3 imho and go refurb or m5/m7.

macgpic-1461252687-9719784441990-sc-jpt.jpg

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
It would effectively double the speed (and half the time) of any write operation. Saving, any kind of video editing... zip/unzip, and encryption all will be noticeably faster
Yep, I was thinking along those lines. I ran into a some caveats; first is the origin of the data you're writing. Is the bottleneck the internal SSD write speed or is something else the bottleneck. If I'm converting a RAW file, is the SSD the bottleneck as I write out the resulting TIFF files or is the CPU the bottleneck? Second is the quantity of data you're writing. Say I'm generating ten 100MB TIFF files. To what extent will I notice a 1 second difference in writing out that data? Finally, how often am I pushing enough data to the SSD (where the SSD is the bottleneck) that it makes a substantial difference?

To your examples of zip/unzip or encrypt/decrypt, if those tasks are SSD write speed bound you'd see a 100MB file write take about 1/10th of a second faster on the 2nd gen, 0.12sec vs 0.22sec. A 12GB file write about 27 seconds vs 14 seconds. Whether that's meaningful probably depends on how often you're writing big enough files for the difference to add up. Again, this is assuming an ideal situation where nothing else is bottlenecking the operation and the only limiting factor is the SSD. I suspect those situations are pretty rare; just speaking to my experience processing RAW files on my rMB the SSD hasn't been the bottleneck. Video editing is a candidate use case, though it's not something I ever do so I don't have any cogent way to do any testing. Perhaps someone else can do so, though again I'd wonder if the CPU/GPU was the more likely bottleneck.

Before someone gets their diaper in a wad, the above is just for discussion. Of course a faster SSD write speed is better to have, the only real questions are whether it's noticeable for 99% of the stuff you'll do and whether it's worth paying more to have.

Last edited:

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Thanks for all of the replies. I have already ordered refurbished 2015 base model.

Given that i have no need to any heavy work with my laptop, I can't see any reason not to save 370 bucks. I believe that the new model has much better performance, but there are also lots of people saying that the first generation do well on their daily works.

Anyway, if the old model doesn't meet my need then I can just return it and buy a new one. There is no harm to do that. Why shouldn't I give it a try?

After some deliberation, I did as well. I opted for the 2015 1.2Ghz with 512GB drive for $120 less than the base 2016 model. I figured twice the storage will be more important over the spec bump. Plus the savings are substantial.

First time buying refurbished. Anyone wants to share their experience with buying refurbished?

I also figured that I could return it, if not satisfied.

Reactions: TofSanity

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
First time buying refurbished. Anyone wants to share their experience with buying refurbished?
Apple refurbished, the only difference you should see from brand-new is the color of the box it arrives in. That's been my experience across two computers, multiple iPads, and other devices, all Apple refurbished.

It doesn't always make financial sense, each case is different. If I were buying today I would probably go with refurbished given the price differences.

hokieputter

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
2015 1.3/256 refurb => $1149
2016 m7/256 => $1549

What are you really getting for the extra $400? I like the idea of being more future proof (faster SSD, better graphics, etc.). But is it? And if so, by how much? $400 worth? I don't need more than 256GB local storage. I would rather have the processor upgrade (if it's even necessary). Probably would be fine with the 2016 m3 model, but would prefer to future proof as much as possible. My use case is pretty basic; email, tons of spreadsheets, internet, few different CAD programs.

I'm starting a new job in a month, so I'm holding out to see what my options are going to be. I'm supposed to be able to choose between PC or Mac. Leaning towards the rMB. Then using Parallels or Bootcamp to run Windows for the few PC specific applications I will have to use. If that works out, I won't even bother with buying a personal rMB.

Looking forward to hearing more from the folks that have their new toys!

Last edited:
Reactions: deeddawg

HellasLEAF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
About 8 months ago went from my trusty 2011 mid MacBook Air to the 13 inch pro. Storage was the big reason. Love my pro of course. Heavily considered the 12 inch first gen vs the pro but in the end said would wait till ver 2 before I went with the new MacBook beautiful as it is.

Now with the new MB coming out and not exactly blowing the doors off the old one, am strongly considering trading in my pro for a refurbed gen 1. Size and weight is the only reason. My 13 inch MBP is a champ but I'm not that heavy a cpu user.

Anyway is it worth it?? Any good deals going on in Canada for a 1st gen 12 inch? If it's cheap enough may just do it to max my value on my current pro. Although may wait until WWDC to see what they do with the MBPs as well. But even when those are released, they will be pricey and refurbed gen 1 MB may look nice value in comparison to all for what it get in a sleek ultra thin portable.

Still, the new MacBook is a real beauty and those that own first gen seam happy with the performance despite some negoti way reviews.

Thoughts would be appreciated..

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
questions like yours can be many...and you wonder, based on those questions, why update at all your 1 year or 3-4-5-6 year old pc mac whatever. But never mind, i will end up this discussion, i have a lot of money so i don't have any idea why shouldn't my secretary order my new macbook

Awesome!

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
About 8 months ago went from my trusty 2011 mid MacBook Air to the 13 inch pro. Storage was the big reason. Love my pro of course. Heavily considered the 12 inch first gen vs the pro but in the end said would wait till ver 2 before I went with the new MacBook beautiful as it is.

Now with the new MB coming out and not exactly blowing the doors off the old one, am strongly considering trading in my pro for a refurbed gen 1. Size and weight is the only reason. My 13 inch MBP is a champ but I'm not that heavy a cpu user.

Anyway is it worth it?? Any good deals going on in Canada for a 1st gen 12 inch? If it's cheap enough may just do it to max my value on my current pro. Although may wait until WWDC to see what they do with the MBPs as well. But even when those are released, they will be pricey and refurbed gen 1 MB may look nice value in comparison to all for what it get in a sleek ultra thin portable.

Still, the new MacBook is a real beauty and those that own first gen seam happy with the performance despite some negoti way reviews.

Thoughts would be appreciated..

I am kind of in the same boat but with the 13" MB Air instead. About a year ago, I purchased this machine over the 12" Macbook. Today I ordered the refurbished Macbook and will be selling the Air. I realize of course that the Air is much more portable than the MBP, but when you're stuck in coach on a 15 hour flight, portable becomes a very relative term. I travel and needed something even more compact with more storage and better screen. It's important to note that I have an iMac in the office for all the heavy lifting. I don't need a whole lot of power - just something more portable.

If that sounds like what you're looking for as well, then I'd say go for it.

Reactions: TofSanity

HellasLEAF

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
I am kind of in the same boat but with the 13" MB Air instead. About a year ago, I purchased this machine over the 12" Macbook. Today I ordered the refurbished Macbook and will be selling the Air. I realize of course that the Air is much more portable than the MBP, but when you're stuck in coach on a 15 hour flight, portable becomes a very relative term. I travel and needed something even more compact with more storage and better screen. It's important to note that I have an iMac in the office for all the heavy lifting. I don't need a whole lot of power - just something more portable.

If that sounds like what you're looking for as well, then I'd say go for it.

Well, this would be my primary cpu. Not exactly high flying in the finance department. A big reason I went with the pro. Which, again. Was a no brainer at the time it's no comparison.

But again, seeing the smallish step they took with this update and seeing how good a deal the 1st gen's look now. It's very tempting to downgrade as it were to what many feel to be a perfectly solid cpu despite the limitations (even as one's primary cpu).

Reactions: jeremiah256

kart

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2011
AU
I was in this quandary too. Went for 759 refurb last night, just received it with a big scratch on the front rid. Granted, it is a refurb,and these things can be expected, but its really not very convincing on the general state in which the unit was kept prior to me receiving it. I have not taken the wrapper off the laptop itself, and will return it, possibly getting a new one. I have the edu discount, so it's a case of 902 pounds for the base new model vs. 759 for the refurb. I would have still liked to spend around 800 for a laptop of these specifications, but the refurb I received has put me off trying that lottery again...
Return it, and re purchase if you're not happy with the scratch. That is certainly what I'd be doing.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Well, the refurbished MB arrived today. I have to say it looks brand new and the packaging was actually the same as new with the exception that it said "refurbished" in front of the product description. Wrapped in plastic. The only odd thing is that the computer arrived totally dead. Zero percent battery left.

Performance is perfectly fine. I am running a bunch of apps right now and still downloading and setting up a number of others. The machine got pretty warm and you could see everything slow down a little, but it's pretty zippy anyway. I honestly don't see any noticeable performance difference between this and the Early 2015 MBA this is replacing.

Buying refurbished was a good experience. I'd do it again if the savings were as good as this time. This was the first refurb I bought, but it may not be the last.

EDIT: Forgot to add, physically the machine is absolutely perfect. No sign of use at all. It's indistinguishable for any of the new machines I've purchased before.

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
Well, the refurbished MB arrived today. I have to say it looks brand new and the packaging was actually the same as new with the exception that it said "refurbished" in front of the product description. Wrapped in plastic. The only odd thing is that the computer arrived totally dead. Zero percent battery left.

Performance is perfectly fine. I am running a bunch of apps right now and still downloading and setting up a number of others. The machine got pretty warm and you could see everything slow down a little, but it's pretty zippy anyway. I honestly don't see any noticeable performance difference between this and the Early 2015 MBA this is replacing.

Buying refurbished was a good experience. I'd do it again if the savings were as good as this time. This was the first refurb I bought, but it may not be the last.

EDIT: Forgot to add, physically the machine is absolutely perfect. No sign of use at all. It's indistinguishable for any of the new machines I've purchased before.

my refurbished MacBook arrived this week, as well, with no battery power. I do like the purchase though!

where is it

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
England
I keep coming back here because the answer to the original question is a really tough one.

A quick glance at the refurb page reveals that you can get last years maxed out rMB with 1.3, 512gb for just a grand.

If you only want 256gb storage that's just 900quid - A 350quid saving!

Then if you take into account a business purchase which takes the VAT off your into 700quid territory.

To me a refurb if looking quite a good deal.

*quid = GBP or £
**grand = 1000GBP or £1000

Reactions: SSD-GUY

c0mm0n

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2008
Same case, took refurb, real bargain.

Get the refurb and see from there imho, how you cope with the size etc.

ZEVIN

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2016
Boston
I also got my refurb rMB yesterday. Just base model, but it works pretty well. It comes with around 10% battery, and the number of charging cycle is 3.

Without looking at the box, I really can't tell if this rMB is refurb or brand new.....

Is there any way to tell?:p

TofSanity

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2010
I also got my refurb rMB yesterday. Just base model, but it works pretty well. It comes with around 10% battery, and the number of charging cycle is 3.

Without looking at the box, I really can't tell if this rMB is refurb or brand new.....

Is there any way to tell?:p

i had 3 cycles too. it would be nice to know if it were just a return or if something was wrong. If something was wrong what did Apple repair.

Just had a chat with Apple and they don't see that there were ever any repairs performed on my MacBook. The 3 cycles more than likely came from their testing during the refurb process

Last edited:

Prospekt

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2009
i had 3 cycles too. it would be nice to know if it were just a return or if something was wrong. If something was wrong what did Apple repair.

Just had a chat with Apple and they don't see that there were ever any repairs performed on my MacBook. The 3 cycles more than likely came from their testing during the refurb process

My non-refurb new MB came with 4 cycles so it looks like it does come from testing at the factory

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
My non-refurb new MB came with 4 cycles so it looks like it does come from testing at the factory

I also had 3 cycles on the battery... sound like testing. The age of mine is 4.9 months. It was made on 11/26/15.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Will the base model from 2015 be able to stream 4k videos on youtube without lag? I wanna buy the macbook because it's design. All i use the computer for is to surf the web and watch movies. nothing more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.