Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's M2 15-inch MacBook Air is available for an all-time low price today at Best Buy, starting at $999.00 for the 256GB model. You can get this deal in all four color options, and you don't need a My Best Buy Plus/Total membership to see this deal.

MacBook-Air-15-Inch-Feature-Yellow.jpg
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

The notebooks have an estimated delivery date around February 13, although those dates could change depending on your location. This is a match of the record low price on the 15-inch MacBook Air, and it's only about the second time we've tracked this sale in 2024.

For more storage, Best Buy has the 512GB 15-inch M2 MacBook Air for $1,199.00, down from $1,499.00. At $300 off, this is the best price we've ever seen on this model of the MacBook Air, and it's available in all colors as well.

Keep up with all of this week's best discounts on Apple products and related accessories in our dedicated Apple Deals roundup.

Article Link: Get $300 Off Apple's 15-Inch MacBook Air With Multiple Best-Ever Prices Starting at $999

• Angry
Reactions: danbuter and k1121j

btbeme

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
256gb is pretty much useless except as something to surf the web. 512gb isn't much better. Apple's storage prices are out of hand, and iCloud storage isn't an answer - its an additional charge, a penalty for not paying the ridiculous upcharge that Apple wants for reasonable onboard storage.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Every day we seem to get another "Best Ever" price

Odd

Not selling well?

Sure is a shame none of these base models can have their RAM or SSD upgraded after the fact.
Basically just waiting to be offloaded at cost or head to a landfill

Nice work Apple
:confused:

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007
256gb is pretty much useless except as something to surf the web. 512gb isn't much better. Apple's storage prices are out of hand, and iCloud storage isn't an answer - its an additional charge, a penalty for not paying the ridiculous upcharge that Apple wants for reasonable onboard storage.

It's a bit silly to say that 8GB/256GB is 'pretty much useless'. I have an M1Pro 16GB/1TB and for the most part, the base M2 Air runs just the same. Yep - That's up to and including 4K video editing for 10-20 minutes projects in Final Cut Pro. I can get the M2 Air to slow down when I start doing excessive things like opening up all my apps at the same time and ridiculous numbers of browser tabs etc.. but even then it remains perfectly usable.

Yes - Apple DOES overcharge for RAM and SSD upgrades, but it doesn't mean that the base spec. machines aren't perfectly fine for most people. Geeks like us who hang around MacRumors are outliers. We do more and want more from our computers. People like my wife use their laptop for email, web, social, photos, music, some MS Office and the base spec. is fantastic for that.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
256gb is pretty much useless except as something to surf the web. 512gb isn't much better. Apple's storage prices are out of hand, and iCloud storage isn't an answer - it’s an additional charge, a penalty for not paying the ridiculous upcharge that Apple wants for reasonable onboard storage.
256 works just fine with an external SSD.
Also, most people buying the 256 GB Air are college students and your regular every day home computer user.
People don’t really store that much stuff usually.
I’ve got a 256 GB M1 iMac with a 2 TB external SSD attached, and the internal drive isn’t even full.

s2obed

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Base model works fine for normal everyday tasks, even watching movies if that's something you do. If you're looking to game or do hardcore editing then they have an option for ya, which is the MB Pro.

Christopher Kim

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2016
Yep makes sense retailers looking to blow out stock before the M3 MBA's are released... And definitely do wish that Resellers like Best Buy or Amazon also stocked a few other configs that aren't base model (eg. a 8GB/1TB or a 16GB/512GB) so we could get discounts on those too, but alas, pretty much never the case other than occasionally B&H Photo

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
How can there be "multiple" best-ever prices? Isn't it only possible for one price to be the "best-ever"?

$300 off looks to be the greatest discount, and has been offered multiple times now. There have been other discounts <$300 off posted on MR. I think the best ever has to do with offering the largest amount off to date (even if it has been offered before).

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
It's a bit silly to say that 8GB/256GB is 'pretty much useless'. I have an M1Pro 16GB/1TB and for the most part, the base M2 Air runs just the same. Yep - That's up to and including 4K video editing for 10-20 minutes projects in Final Cut Pro. I can get the M2 Air to slow down when I start doing excessive things like opening up all my apps at the same time and ridiculous numbers of browser tabs etc.. but even then it remains perfectly usable.

Yes - Apple DOES overcharge for RAM and SSD upgrades, but it doesn't mean that the base spec. machines aren't perfectly fine for most people. Geeks like us who hang around MacRumors are outliers. We do more and want more from our computers. People like my wife use their laptop for email, web, social, photos, music, some MS Office and the base spec. is fantastic for that.
I agree. Why is that almost every time a base model goes on sale, someone has to insert a hyperbolic post about how you can't doing anything but surf the web with this configuration?

Meanwhile, millions and millions of people use the base configuration everyday for college, work, and home, and they are delighted with their computers. Apple enjoys a high level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, and this would not be possible if the base models were useless.

I have zero problems with my base M2 MBA. I don't need a huge amount of local storage because we have the 2 TB family iCloud plan that we share with 5 people. All devices are set to optimize local storage for photos and documents. Everything is backed up. Zero problems.

My kids went through undergrad and grad school with base configuration MBAs. Zero problems. College students write lots of papers and reports. They frequently do statistical analysis (R) and modeling with spreadsheets. Class presentations are common. They certainly did more than just surf the web with their computers.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
Meh. I bought the 8gb, 512gb version because I wanted a portable to putz about with when I'm out of town but I don't need a powerhouse. I already have decent desktops at home, and if I wanted a powerful mac I'd just grab a mac studio. :)

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
With the M3 version fast approaching, the $999 price tag for the M2 Air will be common. The 15" Air is a fantastic MacBook.

Reactions: ThaRuler

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Always kind of bothered me that the MBP only gets 14” and a truly unwieldy 16” sizes. The MBA 15” is the perfect size, but with an inferior screen. Going to have a dilemma next time I upgrade 🤔

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.