Get 3GS for christmas...or wait for the new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Renfred93, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Renfred93 macrumors member

So idk, the updates recently about the patents of tactile feedback and karaoke already got me excited for the new phone...also a user one here once posted the features of the 3GS the day before it came out stating he had a friend with connections to apple and said "it'd be best to skip the 3GS and wait for the new iPhone next year", I wonder if that's reliable...

So instead of possibly wasting an upgrade getting 3GS this winter what does everyone else think?

(also how does "Upgrade swap" work, that might solve my problem...)

2. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

get the new one. This update was a minor update. (speed, capacity, you know.)

the next update i have a feeling will be pretty major. front facing camera. Verizon. better case. etc.

and im excited for it.:D

(as you can tell.)

<----

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

98% no.
    100% no.

You are a dreamer.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

wait till Nov

Seriously expect to have this discussion in July 173 days before Christmas! :rolleyes:

5. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

its better to be a dreamer then a pessimist. :p

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

7. Renfred93 thread starter macrumors member

what?

dream on, altough a mac style front camera isnt too far fetched

8. ghcmonkey macrumors newbie

Apple's contract with ATT isn't up for a while.

9. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

i have herd many different times when the contract is up. whats the most likely?

10. MacLover4491 macrumors member

i would def wait. There is nothing new in the 3gs except for some speed improvement. You can wait a second or two on your 3g. You wont die.

11. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

At least another few years.

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

I said, A-r-e y-o-u k-i-d-d-i-n-g m-e?

In other words, why on earth are you worrying about what's happening at Christmas when it is July? It's a little too early don't ya think?

Bryan

13. Renfred93 thread starter macrumors member

oh! idk, I was just worried about it....ha

14. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

havent u herd? (in song....)

Its Christmas in July!!
    :p

15. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I don't understand people like you.

iPhone 2G to iPhone 3G-
    1. Integrated GPS
    2. 3G Data speeds
    3. Plastic casing

iPhone 3G to iPhone 3G S-
    1. 3.2 Megapixel Camera with autofocus and video (This itself is 3 updates).
    2. Oleophobic coating on screen.
    3. Double the RAM.
    4. Faster Processor.
    5. Minimum capacities are higher and same price points as former generation.
    6. Integrated magnometer.
    7. Voice Control.
    8. The various settings and such (Voice over, zoom, white on black, battery percentage, etc).
    9. Improved battery life.
    10. Improved graphics chipset.
    11. Improved quality for 3G data speeds. (Even though AT&T isn't up to 7.2 HSDPA, this is an international device. We will get there eventually too.

All of this and it's minor? Not to mention it runs 3.0 noticeably better than a 3G or 2G iPhone. Don't forget developers developing with the 3G S in mind for graphically intensive and or system intensive applications.

So if you think that is minor, you must be expecting something HUGE from the next iPhone. What do you have in mind? Unibody casing, 4G LTE speeds (On all US carriers, even Metro PCS!), front facing camera, and one on each side of the iPhone, 24 hour battery with heavy usage, paper thin, 160GB and 320GB capacity, and 2GB of dedicated RAM with a 3.06GHz processor? C'mon man.

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Get it now. Life is too short to wait. You could die the day before WWDC 2010. Life is too short to wait. The 3Gs is a great phone. If you want it, get it. If a new one comes out in 2010, you'll have something to look forward to in 2011 when your contract is up. :) there will always be tge next model when it comes to Apple and especially iPhones. If you have the means, get it and enjoy it. :)

2 cents.

17. siratherock macrumors newbie

I agree,3g to 3gs is a major upgrade than 2g to 3g. But people judge it by the way it looks (identical to 3g) and think it's a minor upgrade.

18. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

@ siratherock- I know, right?

If the 3G S had a matte casing with a little better design than the 3G (S) model, the whole world would be going gaga for one.

19. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

I Guess what i mean by minor is no new real Big End user features. theses all are great, and im glad to see them happen, but this is like just a speeder, more refined 3g. and thats why they called it the 3gS

Will the next one realistically have a front facing camera, or be on Verizon? Most likely not. Im just saying thats what id like to see, but both a possible. You know Apple is mad at att. Apple has one goal. they want to sell the most iPhones possible. and that means expanding to another carrier sometime.

I compare the 3gs to Snow leopard. No real major end user features, but a faster, better OS. The goal wasn't to market new features to end users. They just want the Mac platform and whole experience to be better for all users and prepare for future features for updates to come.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

The difference with Snow Leopard is that you don't sign a contract that makes it a huge financial blow to upgrade. ;)

I would wait, but it's a personal choice. I just don't find anything wrong with my current iPhone and would rather wait until next June. I also am not addicted to the phone.

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

if you're gonna wait til Christmas, you may as well wait til next June. But by then, the following Christmas will be just around the corner, like it is now, so you should probably wait again. Of course, there will be another new model the following June, so maybe it would be best to wait til then. Come to think of it, you probably should start thinking about what phone to get to hold you over until the 6G or possibly 8G, which will probably be the one to get. Or the 8GS. 9G? Or just wait until you're so old you can't even hold a phone and save yourself a lot of money.

22. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

At least a year from now.
    However, when it does end, we'll see a T-Mobile iPhone.
    We won't get the iPhone on Verizon until 2012 at the earliest (LTE would need to be INCREDIBLY widespread). I'm not sure about Sprint and how it's Wi-Max standard will work with the iPhone chipset?

23. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

+1 :)

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

Lol. You know how some kids are, if it looks the same, then they think its a minor upgrade. The 2G to 3G was a minor upgrade, if you really think about it.

25. davyreins macrumors 6502

I view upgrading to 3G and GPS (from the orginal to 3G) more significant upgrades compared to a lot of upgrades from the 3G to the 3G S. Just because there are more new features doesn't make them more substantial. A lot of the features in the 3G S are really nice to have (voice control, faster processor, new screen, etc) but adding 3G and GPS seems to carry more weight (for me).