Get a 27in iMac now, or wait for 2017 refresh.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Nate., Dec 21, 2016.

  1. Nate. macrumors regular

    Nate.

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2012
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #1
    As far as performance, I'm going to upgrade the SSD myself as well as the RAM so really the CPU/GPU would be the only improvements for me and with that I think I'll be fine. My main concern I guess is if it had a different exterior design (besides color) that may be better, or any other main features that I might miss out on.

    Of course I could also just sell the model I buy now and then get it, but do you guys think I should wait out the (estimated) 3 months and just see where we're at then or would it not really make a difference.

    I'd be getting a refurb for $1500 from the Apple Store, too, if that makes a difference. Just the base model 27".

    For some reason though after getting the new MBP I can't stop thinking if I should wait or just go for it now as it could just be a minor refresh this time around.

    Anyone have advice?
     
  2. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

    varian55zx

    Joined:
    May 10, 2012
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #2
    I'd just buy now. No telling what will be wrong with the new crop. And we don't even know when it's going to come out

    My $0.02.
     
  3. Traverse macrumors 604

    Traverse

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2013
    Location:
    Here
    #3
    Well, I'm waiting for the 2x (or so) GPU boost and the 2TB SSD. It depends on what you prioritize.
     
  4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #4
    At the rate Apple's going, the new iMacs may not be out until 5-6 months have passed.

    Can you wait that long?
     
  5. sboychuck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2014
    Location:
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    #5
    If the next iMac goes the way of the MacBook Pro, there may be less friendly ports. You may wind up buying a bunch of adapters. I needed one now and bought now. There will always be updated models that come out later on. I keep computers for a long time and usually buy top spec units. I still have an old 17-inch MacBook Pro in the house. I have taken it apart a couple of times to make repairs, but it keeps on working. My daughter uses it for email, general internet stuff, as well as school work, and it is great. We rarely do gaming on our Macs, and photo and video editing is easily accomplished on the current top spec iMac. Take care.
     
  6. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

    MinEderPlayz

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2013
    Location:
    Hamburg, Germany
    #6
    If you keep waiting for a speculated next model you're never going to be able to buy an iMac.
    Just buy one now and be happy with it. It's extremely capable and looks great too. I don't see a reason to wait.
     
  7. paulryp macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2016
  8. rawweb macrumors 6502a

    rawweb

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2015
    #8
    It's probable the next iMac will be completely redesigned and thunderbolt 3/USBc only. If you're comfortable adapting or buying new devices wait for it. Otherwise the maxed 2015 27" is a great value, it will connect natively to everything around. Still the best i7 in class available. Incredible display. Personally, I think the wait will be longer than most as apple may be waiting for intel to drop new gen processors.
     
  9. fokmik macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2016
    Location:
    USA
    #9
    There is no bad thing that imac get all usb-c !! Its a desktop, so if you need usb or sd card you buy a little dock that you can even put in front of you for easy acces. So i really hope for 4x tb/usb-c ports, amd vega, only fusion drive and ssd up to 2T, 64 gb ram. And it seems that the imac and the 12 macbook will be the first to come next year. So i guess in 3 months
     
  10. briloronmacrumo macrumors 6502

    briloronmacrumo

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2008
    Location:
    USA
    #10
    This sounds like you already have the new MBP. A new iMac is likely to have T3/USB-C connectors like the new MBP, so is this matching set important to you? The other questions are: do you need to buy a new machine now or can you wait? In the former case there is no choice but your new MBP might be able to bridge the time until new iMacs are available. Only you know your exact circumstances and it is virtually impossible for strangers to guess them and apply to a choice such as this. The current iMac is a good machine, so it's difficult to make a bad decision.
     
  11. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #11
    Ya I wanted to buy a 27" maxed but it sucks knowing the new one will be out by summer
     
  12. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #12
    If you don't have a burning need for the iMac, why buy now? At the very least you'll get the 2015 model cheaper if you don't like what apple rolls out.
     
  13. jzuena macrumors 6502a

    jzuena

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2007
    Location:
    Lexington, MA, USA
    #13
    I'm looking to replace a 2009 mini. I've always resisted AIOs, but I'm pretty resigned to the mini's fate. I'm waiting until March, since I (obviously) keep my machines a long time and I might as well try to get one that has USB-C since that is where the industry is heading. Expecting to see only iMacs in the next refresh, so that's what I'll get. Not too worried about dongles for my current stuff, since once you set up a desktop there is no need to carry the dongles around.
     
  14. joefrank64k macrumors 6502

    joefrank64k

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2008
    #14
    I was like you...totally undecided. Buy now, or wait for 3,6,9 or who-knows-how-many months for a refresh.

    FWIW, I'm running a late 2010 MBA 11" hooked to a 24" Dell monitor.

    "The new one will have USB-C!! The new one will be faster!! The new one will be newer!!" Then I realized that I have exactly two things attached to my MBA, besides the monitor: A set of external speakers via 3.5mm jack, and a Logitech keyboard/mouse dongle (which uses USB-A of course!!).

    Both my Pixma Pro-100 printer and color laser AIO are wireless. And my old MBA is running Sierra.

    Don't get me wrong, my MBA has definitely slowed down (I see that darn beachball way more than before, haha!!) and it's getting a bit frustrating doing simple photo/video edits (and forget editing 4K from my drone, that has to be done on my iPad Pro 12"). So again, what to do??

    My decision? I just now ordered a late 2015 27" iMac, i5 3.3, 8GB, M395, 2TB Fusion. Ordered from B&H to save tax. I'll buy AppleCare from the Apple Education Store to save $30 over B&H. I'll be upgrading the RAM with OWC's kit to save the scandalous amount Apple charges for 32GB. Done and done.

    The new rig will easily do what I need it to do for a long while. And by then, who knows what Apple will have cooked up??

    OP, good luck with whatever decision you make. IMHO, Either way you can't really go wrong.
     
  15. Salaryman Ryan macrumors member

    Salaryman Ryan

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2015
    #15
    I agree, I too think that dongles and adaptors are less of an issue with desktops. Also it would be nice to have USB-C/Thunderbolt connectivity for a myriad of reasons.
     
  16. vapourtrails macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2016
    #16
    With all of the negative press lately on Apple's desktop demise I am thinking they may "pull the trigger" earlier on some updates.
     
  17. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #17
    Was planning on returning my 15" tb mbp and ordering a maxed 27" iMac .. but the gpu is gonna be so much better on the update whenever the hell thay is
     
  18. Fiachers macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2016
    #18
    I am somewhat in the same boat... I have the choice of maybe getting a loan for a new iMac now, or saving up my money until March 2017. How do we know the iMac refresh is happening in March?
     
  19. fokmik macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2016
    Location:
    USA
    #19
    buy the March imac model !!!! there are already rumours for imac and macbook. Probably the mac mini and mac pro will be updated at WWDC or autumn
     
  20. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #20
    We don't.

    People are expecting a March rollout, but we have no idea if that will be the case. I remember back in 2011, when waiting for the expected refresh of the MBP. Everyone said, January, then March. We finally saw the refresh in June.
     
  21. Fiachers macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2016
    #21
    What on earth is going on in Apple? I have given Apple so much latitude over the years with certain gripes I've had, while overall being quite satisfied, but this stuff with the Mac is pretty depressing and hard to quite understand.

    I have strongly considered dumping the Mac for a PC, but the only thing that makes me hold on is macOS and the whole painless/integrated Apple experience.

    If they screw the iMac and arrogantly charge insane prices, I'm gone. I'll miss Time Machine, screen sharing, etc., but I'm gone.
     
  22. colodane macrumors 6502a

    colodane

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2012
    Location:
    Colorado
    #22
    Sounds like you have the flexibility to wait until the first half of 2017. And, you would need to take out a loan to buy an iMac now. Two good reasons to save your money for a few months and then use cash to select from a wider array of options than you have now. These options should include the 2015 model at a reduced price, if that is still your first choice.
     
  23. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #23
    From what I've read (somewhat unsubstantiated), is that they pulled people from the desktop team to work on the laptop team, to get the MBP out the door in 2016.

    Also, for the 27" iMac what else could they do, its currently running Skylake, it would be a minor spec bump (with a potential GPU upgrade). True the 21" update would be more significant.

    FWIW, Microsoft rolled out their brand new Surface Studio AIO, and its running Skylake, does not have USB-C and has a spinning hard drive. My point is their (Apple's) hands are tied to Intel's release schedule and Kaby Lake isn't due out until 2017
     
  24. fokmik macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2016
    Location:
    USA
    #24
    Since usb-c is ready, since amd vega will be ready in January, since kaby lake for imac are ready from 5 of January,the ram is ready, ssd are ready, no redesign, so there is no point not to update in March the 12" Macbook and 21.5" and 27" imacs
     
  25. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

    jetjaguar

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2009
    Location:
    somewhere
    #25
    I'm seriously considering just building a pc for the first time in like 8 years
     

Share This Page