Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

'Get a Mac' Ads without Justin Long ('Mac')

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

RadarOnline reports that Justin Long who plays the "Mac" on Apple's new television commercials will no longer be appearing in Apple's commercials.

There's no indication why Justin Long will no longer be participating in the commercials, but despite his departure, they report that a new round of ads are being filmed with the original director (Phil Morrison) and "PC" (John Hodgman).

Apple debuted the "Get a Mac" ads in June and has released new ads as recently as October.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
He was good, but Apple needs someone more lovable and less smug. They should do the ads with Dvorak and Leo.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
yeah... not sure which way they'll go with it without the original mac guy.

arn

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
It's because people don't like his character. From the very beginning of the campaign the overwhelming response has been "I like the PC guy but the Mac guy comes across as a smarmy little smart-arse" and comments of that ilk.

I'm not a fan of the campaign in general, it still over-emphasises the creative side of the Mac rather than showing just how capable the platform is (only one ad dealing with the more work-focussed aspects? Not good enough.) and once again shows the Mac to be the quirky young upstart to the PCs more mature, buttoned-down persona.

They need to show the Mac and the PC competing in the same thing, put both online with the settings they have out of the box and show what happens after browsing the net with their default browsers for a while. Actually SHOW how much easier it is to make a home movie, SHOW them both running Office, just bloody SHOW THE OPERATING SYSTEM!!!

I know that would involve directly competing with Microsoft but geeze, at some stage Apple are just going to have to bite the bullet and show to the public how things work on a Mac.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
I thought he came across as an all-round pleasant guy and I don't really understand the 'smug' label he's got. From his point of view, though, he doesn't want to be stereotyped, especially if he wants to be a serious actor. Maybe the ads henceforth will use only the PC guy and instead of comparing Mac and PC side-by-side they'll just go for an all out attack on PC. :(

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
Arhh... That sucks! I don't understand why they would wanna replace him with someone else! (Well maybe they found out he was actually using a PC :p ) I thought he was a very nice representive for the Mac-brand, but all right I'll wait to condemn it completely till I see the new guy!

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
I thought he was a very nice representive for the Mac-brand, but all right I'll wait to condemn it completely till I see the new guy!

The ads amplified what PC users already think of Mac users; as lounging, bohemian, creative types.

"I'm a Mac user"
"Oh, you're one of those people."

airboss1971

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
Arhh... That sucks! I don't understand why they would wanna replace him with someone else! (Well maybe they found out he was actually using a PC :p ) I thought he was a very nice representive for the Mac-brand, but all right I'll wait to condemn it completely till I see the new guy!

He got a Dell dude!:p

countach

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2006
I never thought he was smug. In fact I thought he was casted extremely laid back specifically to avoid that.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002

In "Accepted" he used a PC while his friend used a Mac.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
The ads amplified what PC users already think of Mac users; as lounging, bohemian, creative types.

Yeah, it sucks to be thought of as interesting. :rolleyes:

I liked the thread over at AppleInsider about this.

They should replace Justin Long with Dennis Haysbert:

PC: I'm a PC.
DH: And I'm a Mac.
~look of shock from PC for why the Mac has changed~
DH: Ya, we come in black now.

This is an easy one: Leopard comes out. New commercial.

PC: "Um. Excuse me? Have you seen my friend, Mac?"
Leopard: "Oh, hey PC. It's me. I got an upgrade."

*cue Vista joke*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.