Get a .Mac subscription now or wait for MobileMe?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pandaboots, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Pandaboots macrumors regular

Pandaboots

Ok, so according to Apple, current .mac owners can sill use @mac or @me email addresses. I'm interested in using an @mac email address, so the million $ question is:

Is the @mac only going to be available to current .mac subscribers as an optional address to the @me or can new Me subscribers still use it?

Wanting to know so I can go ahead with a .mac subscription now to grandfather that in.....otherwise I'll wait for my new iPhone with mobileme. Thanks

2. kvasir macrumors regular

I'm not sure, that's why I went ahead and purchased a few days ago. I know current .mac subscribers can keep their @mac email address, but after the transition? I searched, but couldn't find it.

Amazon has .Mac for $69, but I found a place that sells it for $56.
    http://www.royaldiscount.com/apple.html

I didn't think it would be legit, but the box I got was shrinkwrapped and had a CompUSA sticker on it. They must have bought out their stock. Works out to $4.69 a month, not bad to try it!

3. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

As far as I understand it, the only way to get a @mac.com address is to set them up now. I also think they have to be setup now, not just a subscriber. I have a family pack, and only have 2 accounts setup. I'm pretty sure that after the transition, I can keep the 2 accounts as @mac.com, but I can't setup any more.

This is just the way I'm reading it.

-Kevin

4. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i think this is correct. i don't see Apple allowing to set up new .mac addresses following the closure of .mac.

i would subscribe now, especially if you can get it for ~$70 dollars, thats a nice discount.

5. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

.mac email addresses will only be available to current .mac users, so if this is what you want then I'd advise getting it before .me goes live. I did the same 2 days ago.

6. JW008 macrumors 6502

I'm a long-time .Mac subscriber and my renewal is every year in August. I always buy from Amazon and was worried that the price might go up with MobileMe, so I bought immediately after the $99/year announcement.

It's a good thing I did, too, because Amazon is showing a 1-2 month wait before shipping.

7. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah, if you want .mac email address, then you better jump on it

8. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Im getting the .mac sub as soon as i get my MBP, as i want the @mac.com email.

Im guessing .me will be introduced July 11th when iPhone 3G comes out?

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

In the UK, the price for MobileMe is actually £10 cheaper than .Mac. :)

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I doubt they'll keep both. Better to get it now =P

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I would like to point out that you can also sign up for a 60 day trial of .mac, secure one .mac address, and then continue to use it once it switches of to .me. Best part is that its free!

12. johnc1 macrumors newbie

.Mac trial and Mobile me

Hi - Just had a response back on a question about my .mac trial ending before mobile me goes live. Like some others have mentioned here, there is more appeal in retaining the mac.com e-mail address that I have set up on my trial account. I was also not happy to pay for my .mac account knowing that mobile me will be cheaper when it starts (UK pricing). Apple European support have advised that if I join .mac now, I will be refunded the difference once mobileme starts. At least that will keep me amused until the 11th...

13. Pandaboots thread starter macrumors regular

Pandaboots

yep..figured as much..then now's the time to buy .mac on amazon or wherever to lock in that @mac address...then once mobileme comes out there will be an instant switch over. Seems a no-brainer at this point to go ahead and get it at a dicount and have the @mac option as an email address..thanks for everyone's input. Seems a lot of people are concerned with this..I wonder if Apple is listening????

14. steeler macrumors regular

Is there any way to know what .mac usernames/addresses are available before buying? I'm considering purchasing it, but not if my short list of favorite account names are all taken.

15. bonafide* macrumors newbie

you can register a trial account, and then if you find out that you want to use, you can activate the trial account into a full account with the registration code once you buy .mac.

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I would get a sub now. I just did that by going to mac.com and got my sub activated within minutes. I didn't buy anything from Amazon, I just paid for the sub with a credit card.

I wanted to get a sub last September but I wanted it to involve my iPhone more and now that it will in July, it will be worth it even more. I like that it can also sync all my Macs so they all stay updated wit contacts and bookmarks and more.

17. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can try to load public iDisk folders.

Go to:

http://idisk.mac.com/USERNAME-Public

If the account is taken, the folder will load.

If the account name is taken, but not active, it will say:
    Account Error: Inactive
    Most likely, this means you won't have access to this username.

If the account name is not taken, it will say:
    Account Error: Nonexistent

This is how I check for some of my names I wanted.

-Kevin

18. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

I'd still buy from Amazon or look on eBay to get it for less than $99.

I got my Family Pack on eBay for $79.99.

-Kevin

19. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Sorry post cancelled ... I see someone has said how to find out ..:eek::eek:

20. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

That's not really true.
    I got an account which looks like firstnamelastname@mac.com and an alias that looks like firstname.lastname@mac.com.

Though it did work for the main account, going to this URL with my alias returned Account Error: Nonexistent
    However, nobody will be available to take this as a main account because I registered it as an alias

21. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Didn't think of that since I don't use any aliases.

Good to know.

-Kevin

22. hexonxonx macrumors 601

If I had only thought about it, I could have gotten a nice discount when I bought my Mac Pro two weeks ago. :(

23. Sub Minimal macrumors newbie

Thanks for the initial question, advice on checking for taken names, and tip on using trial .mac as an option. I now have a .mac address ahead of MobileMe. cheers :)

24. Padraic macrumors regular

How did you get the trial .mac account? Navigating the apple site, I can't find the page to sign up for a trial account.

Thanks!

Padraic

25. airjuggernaut macrumors 6502a

Open Finder, Click on the iDisk icon, follow the instructions until you get to the login, on the side there will something that says "Sign up for a 60 Day Trial."

Hope that helps :)

Oh and just a question, how long do they keep the Trial info for after the 60 days are up?
    I really like the .mac email and want to keep it for later, but I dont money as of now to pony up for the service :p