Get a rMBP now or wait for new model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by domdom83, Sep 20, 2013.

  1. domdom83 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #1
    Hi,
    My MBP early 2011 finally crashed :rolleyes: and I'm willing to get a new one.
    For the moment i'm using a PC for work.
    Advice: Should I get a rMBP now or wait for the new ones?
    What will the differences be?
    If I buy one now should I get a 8gb or 16gb model?
     
  2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #2
    If you're OK with using your work computer for now, then wait. New models will be out in a month.

    My computer crashed back in June and I'm still holding on for the new rMBP.
     
  3. asohal macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2013
    #3
    Waiting... Patiently waiting

    man, I come here to this page every single day to read on some rumors regarding rMBP w/ haswell, and all I see is iphone 5S and 5C. I'm trying to bevery patient, cant wait to see an official video/report showing the new rMBP w/ haswell. :(:mad::confused:
     
  4. Ifti macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    Im with you on this one mate!!
     
  5. yabot macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2013
    #5
    i just bought a 2013 baseline 15 rmbp. couldnt be happier. **** haswell, its taking to damn long.
     
  6. Rhendera macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    Location:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    #6
    Me too! And I'm not a very patient person to begin with.. even though I haven't been waiting that long yet. :( Really wish they would hurry up with releasing - although I am hoping for more improvements over the early 2013 model.
     
  7. domdom83 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #7
    I guess I'll wait... If it's only to get +5h hours of battery life I don't think it's worth it. Then I might get a Early 2013 rMBP. The price should go down.
    16gb or 8gb?

    ----------

    8gb or 16gb?
     
  8. Ifti macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    Deffo 16GB.

    Im not too bothered about battery life - although I do want the 802.11ac, PCIe, and the new architecture. Just doesnt seem wise to buy now when we are looking at an update in a month.
     
  9. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

    Krazy Bill

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2011
    #9
    :eek:
     
  10. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2012
    #10
    well i suggest you wait let them announce the new line up if the specs woo you then go ahead if not you can still pick the early 2013 up for sometime till the new one shows up hopefully.
     
  11. Rhendera macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2013
    Location:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    #11
    I just noticed that the 15" retina MBP are sold out on amazon, and people are reporting that they are also sold out online on Bestbuy.. so I would hang in there if I were you - looks like the new model might be around the corner now :)
     
  12. MathBunny123 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2012
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada | Sibiu, Romania
    #12
    If the current battery life is sufficient for you, then you should purchase the current MacBook Pro Retina, because it is cheaper than before. You can get it at big discounts now, especially if you can get it with the Apple Education plan.

    The Haswell chip will probably mostly only bring more battery life improvements, and not generally performance improvements.

    There's no concrete information on this topic, but this is my advice on this topic. :)
     
  13. PDFierro macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2009
    #13
    8 or 16GB of RAM is going to depend completely on your uses, which you have said nothing about. What do you do? How long do you plan to keep the machine?

    I doubt we will see an addition of 5 hours battery life. This isn't the MBA. Probably an additional 3, so 10 hours at the most.
     
  14. ViperDesign macrumors 6502a

    ViperDesign

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #14
    Just remember the old saying,

    Patience is a virtue
     
  15. tankbig macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2008
    #15
    in my opinon, you'd better wait it use a month, you will know where it is the new rmbp should be
     
  16. domdom83 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #16
    I mostly use my Mac for Photoshop tasks and lessons I give using Cisco webex, a lot of music and photos too.
    I always plan to change every 4 years not less.

    ----------

    You're right but how to be patient when we don't even know what's around the corner.
     
  17. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 23, 2012
    Location:
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    #17
    Awesome :D

    I must ****ing Agree! **** Haswell (after all it's just a ****ing ****) and be happy! :D
     
  18. jg321 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    Location:
    UK
    #18
    What happened to your 2011 one? It's not that old, I bought mine about two days after they were released and it even has AppleCare still. I'm typing from it now!

    I'd wait for Haswell personally. IMO they're gonna announce around October 21st again, just like last year.

    How much RAM did your 2011 have? I'm guessing 4GB if you didn't upgrade it. If you never had problems with that, 8GB will probably be sufficient. Heck, 4GB is sufficient in my 2011, so I'd definitely get the 8GB one personally.
     
  19. domdom83 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    #19
    My Motherboard crashed. I read that some people had the same problem with their MBP 2011. It won't even charge now.
    I had 8gig and a 1Tb HD.
     
  20. hammm macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2013
    #20
    +5hrs battery life = up to 12hrs battery life, same as 13" Haswell MBA

    my current PC laptop lasts about 50 min (power-hungry quad i7 + battery due for replacement), so a 12hr battery life would be mind-blowingly divine lol

    i'd definitely think it's worth it to wait, since it's like ~1 month away

    :(
     
  21. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #21
    +5 hour battery life is very significant, especially for you.
     
  22. Erphern macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Location:
    UK
  23. Badrottie Suspended

    Badrottie

    Joined:
    May 8, 2011
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #23
    8GB is good snuff for you unless you are a hard core artist or video editor then get 16GB. And just wait for new MBP with Haswell built in. Remember Apple is testing your patience. :apple:
     
  24. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

    KeegM480

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2013
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #24
    Wait

    I think you should wait even if you dont want the new model. The prices will go down if they come out with a new model. So even if you dont want the new model its probably best to wait a month or so.
     
  25. robvas macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    USA

Share This Page