Get an extra year of Apple Care FREE

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Choctaw, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I looked all over this forum and could not find any place to post this that seemed like it belonged. Some places won't let me post there.... guess I don't have enough whiskers or something like that. So be it........I know many will have this info, but for the one who does not, it's for you.

When you purchase a new Apple Computer with a Discover Charge Card...it gives you an extra year of warranty on that product. See Discover site for verification.

Choctaw

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think my Chase card just got similar benefits like that the other week.

3. Shrink, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

This and this discuss credit card extended warrantees.

It's nothing new, many cards offer them.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... I got the same email from Chase for a Chase Amazon VISA card I have. It extends the warranty an extra year on anything you but with the card. Also has free theft/damage replacement for 120 days.

5. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yeah, AND you get crazy cashback. :D

6. Choctaw, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2013

Choctaw thread starter macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I know it's nothing new..........it's just something new to me, and offers another years protection with not paying Apple for it. And maybe to some here in the forum who might consider the two years vs 3 for $160 bucks to Apple.

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

The headline is not quite accurate. The credit card company does not buy AppleCare for you. They give you the same hardware failure coverage that the manufacturer provides, but from them, not Apple.

It does not include calling AppleCare for troubleshooting and other assistance.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

As was noted, this is an additional year of protection but is NOT AppleCare. I used my Discover card for my Mac in July last year.

Yes, Chase now offers this same protection.

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Bear in mind since this is not AppleCare, they could charge a diagnostic fee at the Genius Bar if your Mac is out of warranty (nor saying they will but that they could).

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

"Apple Care" has a very specific meaning. It is a warranty and support product sold by Apple. This card doesn't give you one year Apple Care for free. There are various credit cards that include various kinds of warranties for things you purchase with the card. You pay through credit card fees and interest.

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have a Chase (Amazon) VISA card that provides this benefit and I have never paid one cent in fees or interest in the over ten years I have had the card. They pay me between 1-3% for all purchases I make using the card.

12. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I use American Express when I buy a new Mac because of the 1 year extension on warranties. So far I haven't had to use this coverage. I'm not complaining :)