Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrismichael83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
So I just switched over fresh from TMOBILE and tried the S10 Plus. I wanted to see if I could like Android enough to stay. Lets just say I really wanted to but had some issues that I wont go into (terrible photo quality, lots of missed inputs and accidental inputs) and the fact the messaging regardless is still a mess.

So my question is I will be exchanging my S10 Plus and S10 (sons phone) for iphones. I am getting him the iPhone 8 as its free right now but should I get the 8 Plus now being that its 699.99 and then upgrade to the iPhone 11 or should I get the XS Max which would then be my phone for the next 3 years. Ive had the plus model before and loved it for its battery life and typing experience so I know the 8 Plus will do me fine until September.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
So I just switched over fresh from TMOBILE and tried the S10 Plus. I wanted to see if I could like Android enough to stay. Lets just say I really wanted to but had some issues that I wont go into (terrible photo quality, lots of missed inputs and accidental inputs) and the fact the messaging regardless is still a mess.

So my question is I will be exchanging my S10 Plus and S10 (sons phone) for iphones. I am getting him the iPhone 8 as its free right now but should I get the 8 Plus now being that its 699.99 and then upgrade to the iPhone 11 or should I get the XS Max which would then be my phone for the next 3 years. Ive had the plus model before and loved it for its battery life and typing experience so I know the 8 Plus will do me fine until September.

You could try the OnePlus 6T if you want a smoother experience than Samsung. I think that would be a good try before going back to iOS completely.

chrismichael83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
You could try the OnePlus 6T if you want a smoother experience than Samsung. I think that would be a good try before going back to iOS completely.
Na, I think I am done with Android for a while. All my friends and family are on iPhones and even just sharing pics is a hassle by creating a link, having them recieve it then, downloading one by one. I did enjoy the ability to split screen video chatting and others while still being able to use my phone but its not enough to keep me with android. Im a tech savy guy but after full use over the weekend of using my camera, I actually didnt want to use my camera. I assume I have a defective unit but still.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Na, I think I am done with Android for a while. All my friends and family are on iPhones and even just sharing pics is a hassle by creating a link, having them recieve it then, downloading one by one. I did enjoy the ability to split screen video chatting and others while still being able to use my phone but its not enough to keep me with android. Im a tech savy guy but after full use over the weekend of using my camera, I actually didnt want to use my camera. I assume I have a defective unit but still.

I would get yourself the XS Max then. The iPhone XI will probably end up being a marginal upgrade over the XS Max. Triple cameras is a real gimmick because you'll still get a telephoto lens and the standard iPhone 2018 camera.

However, if signal is more important to you, get the 8+. The XS Max has the intel modem, which isn't as good as Qualcomm's radios.

Reactions: russell_314

willentrekin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
US
I'd get the XS Max. In fact, I'm thinking about upgrading soon and may get a refurbished X.

I just came off an iPad Air 2 I used for four years, and I have a 7 Plus now. It feels like devices are lasting at least two years at a shot, and I feel like I could have used either for a while longer; upgrading hasn't felt necessary so much as better.

No telling what features the X1 or 11 or whatever it will be will have besides the next iOS; besides that, everything else will be slightly better, but likely not significantly so.

chrismichael83

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Thats my only issue. Im worried that the XS Max signal wont be as good.
[doublepost=1552924039][/doublepost]My only interest would be the addition of a wide angle lens.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
Why not get iPhone SE now ($250 on Apple site) and get 11? Then you always have a great backup phone (SE).

But b/w 8+ now vs. XSMAx? I would get XSMax.

[doublepost=1552928545][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1552924039][/doublepost]My only interest would be the addition of a wide angle lens.

There is some debate on this...the 3rd lens could be ToF sensor and not wide angle. Since Apple is all in on Augmented Reality, a ToF would make more sense.

IF so, then the 11 camera may not be a big step up from XS Max. The current camera system is truly amazing with Smart HDR BTW.

TBH, unless Apple can fix it via software, the wide angle lens so far on other phones are trash...poor resolution/clarity (esp in less than sunlight conditions) and horrible distortion.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015

I’d probably get the Max at this point. Haven’t had any reception issues and had mine since early December. This phone is tremendously different feeling over the 8+. The AMOLED display is just amazing! But the 8+ is a great phone too.

PrettyWings

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2016

Get the 8 Plus.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I would get the 8+ but I suppose I am biased as I chose it at my last upgrade lol. The Max would be a good a choice if you could get it under a grand but I don’t think it’s worth £1100+ at this point personally. I’d personally get the iPhone XI for three years and buy a really cheap phone until then.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
What about the XR? It’s 2/3 of the price of the Max for practically the same features, and arguably better if you consider the battery life and portability, and if you like the colours

Wouldn’t go with the 8+ as it’s legacy technology at this point

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
This person will only keep it 6 months according to the OP but even if they didn’t, is TouchID really a disadvantage when the phone itself is a solid device and good for a few years yet?

I do think Touch ID is decent, but having used Face ID and no home button I just feel that it’s so much more seamless and an improved experience

Reactions: jimmy_uk

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
You’re not going to want to wait 3 years if 5G comes out and is relevant in 2.

Regardless, it’ll probably be 2 years or more. I’d get the max and wouldn’t even think twice, and this is coming from someone who had a max and got rid of it because it gave me headaches. The max is the best large iPhone ever. No compromises at all. The 8+ is solid, but the max beats it on everything, as long as you don’t care about Face ID (took me 10 minutes to get used to) and the added price.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I second the iPhone 8. So many times, I think this phone is dismissed because it uses an older form factor/touch ID, but it’s still very much relevant with the A11 bionic processor, wireless charging, true tone, stereo speakers and it has the water resistance. For the price point, it’s one of the better buys for the iPhone in my opinion.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015

I got the 8 plus about 4 months ago, great phone.
Key points:
No notch
Touch ID
Identical internals to X at a cheaper price.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia

Whatever was going on with launch Xs Max's I have no idea, as the unit I've purchased recently performs as good, if not better than the Xs I had.

Seems to me antennagate pt II with the Max is widely and wildly overblown. If I'm you, I'd get the Xs Max. Couldn't see myself going back to Touch ID.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I do think Touch ID is decent, but having used Face ID and no home button I just feel that it’s so much more seamless and an improved experience

I think it depends on the individual and whether they consider FaceID and OLED to be worth a minimum of £460 more for the experience. If it is then the answer is easy. If it’s not, there are options in a lower price bracket.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
I think it depends on the individual and whether they consider FaceID and OLED to be worth a minimum of £460 more for the experience. If it is then the answer is easy. If it’s not, there are options in a lower price bracket.

That is true, but if they consider the XR it’s not that much more expensive than the 8+

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I would get the XR or XS Max if you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket. I have the XS Max but doing it over again I probably would go for the XR. Both are ahead of the 8 Plus. Unless you absolutely are one of the old die hard iPhone people that wants that old look there's no reason to go with the older style iPhone.

About the signal concerns I have no issues with my XS Max compared to my old 7 Plus. I'm on a Verizon prepaid network.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I would get the XR or XS Max if you have extra money burning a hole in your pocket. I have the XS Max but doing it over again I probably would go for the XR. Both are ahead of the 8 Plus. Unless you absolutely are one of the old die hard iPhone people that wants that old look there's no reason to go with the older style iPhone.

About the signal concerns I have no issues with my XS Max compared to my old 7 Plus. I'm on a Verizon prepaid network.

You don’t have to be an ‘old diehard person’ to choose an 8+. There are certain aspects that are slightly better than the XR which may appeal to certain people as I’m sure they do, not to mention you can get it £100 cheaper. Let’s face it, there isn’t an inferior iPhone currently on sale right now so the consumer has a good choice of models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.