Get an iPhone or wait for next model?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joefinan, Feb 13, 2008.

  1. joefinan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    Location:
    Kingston-Upon-Thames, UK
    #1
    I've got a Touch but, since O2 adjusted their tariffs, the iPhone has come into my price range and I am seriously considering getting one.

    But should I wait? Sod's law says a week after it arrives Apple will announce the new model. Does anyone have any idea what Apple's plans are?

    If I'm stuck with the same one for 18months, I don't want to chance having the 'old one' if possible.
     
  2. ne0star macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2007
    #2
    i'm not sure what you want anyone to tell you?

    Nobody knows when the next model is coming out, and there is already loads of threads with this exact same question so why not read some of those.
     
  3. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    #3
    Nobody knows, and you'll go crazy waiting and speculating. I decided the wait wasn't worth it, and picked up my iPhone yesterday.
     
  4. rayward macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #4
    Over the course of an 18 month contract, you are guaranteed to have an "old" one, whenever you choose to buy. FWIW, you don't have to wait until the end of the phone contract to upgrade your handset, if you so wish. But at whatever point you buy, Apple will shortly thereafter drop the price or bring out a better unit.
     
  5. Hooka macrumors regular

    Hooka

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2007
    Location:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    #5
    Right on. I bought mine in early December and 2 months later they double the memory. Its like this, buy an iPhone now and use it for a week and then kill yourself so you don't have to deal with apple coming out with another one. Retard. go buy a mobile windows phone and then you never have to worry about them updating it. ;)
     
  6. ayale99 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2007
    #6
    It's the same old question. I say don't wait on the next one, wait on the next-next one. iPhone3! That way you'll be future proof:eek:

    Just buy it now. A new one will always come out no matter how long you wait.
     
  7. shiryu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2008
    #7
    Agreed... it is like that with technology... everything... so i'd get one now, enjoy it...
     
  8. comacnut macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    #8
    I'm not sure how it works in the UK but in the US your free to upgrade at any point without extending the length of your contract. There is a healthy market for used phones that are not tied to a contract. After you sell your old phone a new one shouldn't run you more than an additional $200.
     
  9. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

    EvryDayImShufln

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2006
    #9
    Hahahahhaha!!
     
  10. happydude macrumors 65816

    happydude

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2006
    Location:
    a gasping dying planet
    #10
    well, i'm getting mine tomorrow. i figure most rumors have it that iphone 2 won't be out until june at the earliest (maybe even sept) and i don't want to wait 4 months for that. tmobile contracts ends tomorrow, time to sever ties, get the iphone and party.
     
  11. Pookieinc macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #11
    Like everyone else is saying, no one knows.

    But I would probably wait until the end of Februrary, as Apple might release something alongside the SDK. It's wishful thinking, but personally, I'm just waiting until then to grab one.
     
  12. arkitect macrumors 601

    arkitect

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2005
    Location:
    Bath, United Kingdom
    #12
    It is the same in the UK with O2… You can use your new iPhone for the rest of your existing 18 month contract.
    No need to extend the length.

    Seriously, buy when you need.
     
  13. benmrii macrumors 65816

    benmrii

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    NC
    #13
    In my opinion I'd say it depends on how you plan on using it.

    The lack of 3G is so incredibly lame that I'm not getting one without it, but that is more because I use wireless internet a great deal of time outside of wifi range/access.

    If you plan on using it only rarely without wifi then most likely it wouldn't matter if you get it now or wait a bit longer. But, if you plan on needing internet access without wifi often, and don't want to rip your hair out and suppress the urge to throw this revolutionary phone (that was introduced with ancient wireless internet capabilities) across the room then I'd sit on my hands (and wallet) and wait a bit longer.

    I doubt we'll see one very soon, particularly with the recent memory upgrade, but I'd say a summer release of iPhone 2.0 is more than reasonable.
     
  14. kevd00d macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2008
    #14
    i agree...it depends on what you intend on using it primarily for, besides a phone...if you need a new ipod, the iphone is more than adequate to fit those needs...as an internet-surfing device, it is sufficient but not if you need some 3G speed
     
  15. maestro55 macrumors 68030

    maestro55

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2005
    Location:
    Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
    #15
    If you are seriously wanting one than go ahead and buy one, if you can wait I suggest waiting for the iPhone 2, just because I suspect we are going to see it this summer. However, the iPhone is a great phone so you won't regret buying one if you do.
     
  16. sal macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2007
    #16
    bought mine last week. I waited this long because I was waiting for my sprint contract to expire. I just lucked out that apple released the 16gb around the same time. :D

    I say buy now if you need it and you got the cash. I think you are safe for at least 6 months before apple might release the next upgrade. Or maybe they'll do a silent upgrade and include 3g and more memory. Therefore we won't see iphone2 announced till next year at macworld.

    With apple, you just never know.
     
  17. InvalidBassist macrumors regular

    InvalidBassist

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2008
    Location:
    Chicago
    #17
    I thought about waiting until a 3G iPhone comes out but decided against waiting any longer because I really want one. That and 3G won't be in my area for quite a while.

    I'm still waiting until the 26th though, just in case of a $100 price drop, and a little extra cash coming my way.

    The only question I haven't answered yet is: do I want an 8GB or a 16GB model?
    Any help on making this decision would be helpful too. :D
     
  18. rosemarycane macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2007
    #18
    I know how you feel. However, I would rather have the iPhone now than use anything else. I mean it. Nothing comes close.
     
  19. Cobra2001 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2007
    Location:
    SoCal
    #19
    I've been waiting for a long time too but I think I'm finally going to go for it on the 26th. I'll see what the potential announcement will be and then I'll finally pick one up.
     
  20. ceiph macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2007
    #20
    ive been thinking about this and i owned an iphone back when it was 600 but returned it because well it wasnt worth 600 than.

    the thing thats making me itch to buy one now is sdk. but im waiting for the announcement... ichat alone would make my day. and others but everything i disliked about the iphone was software related that has been or sdk will fix so its personal
     
  21. Matteh117 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 24, 2007
    Location:
    Surrey, UK
    #21
    I'm in the exact same boat. I've decided 16GB though - simply because I know that over 18 months 8GB just won't be enough, whereas 16GB is likely to last longer... if you get what I mean.
     
  22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

    DiamondMac

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #22
    Get

    It

    Now

    We get these threads all the time and whenever someone actually gets it they come back all happy/excited that they actually bought it.

    That says something
     
  23. rayward macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #23
    Unless you need the extra $100 for rent, buy the 16gigger. It gives you the flexibility to add plenty of music and video content. Plus, once third party apps start appearing, who knows what you're going to be doing with the thing and how much memory it will require!
     
  24. benmrii macrumors 65816

    benmrii

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    NC
    #24
    Yes, it does, but not necessarily a good 'something.' Any iPhone is better than no iPhone and impatience is a defining feature of our society.

    The iPod is great how it is, but if you are using it away wifi it has a significant flaw. Web-browsing, email loading, etc. is ridiculously slow. Aside from that, with the 16GB bump, its a solid device today (good point, rayward, on the 16GB of space for coming new apps). Again, it is all in how you plan/need to use it.
     
  25. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

    DiamondMac

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #25
    A high, high majority of the time I would say it is not only a good something but a great something.

    Of course we have some threads dealing with problems (whether battery, screen, etc...) but outside of those with the above problems, I have yet to see many if any threads where people talk about regretting buying the phone a few weeks later.

    That, imo, shows that those thinking of buying AND buying it are quite happy and glad they did it

    Waiting is a good thing at times and just not needed in others. I look at this as the later options.
     

Share This Page