Get iOS 4 now?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Khryz, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Just as the site says. Do it at your own risk.

I'm eagerly looking forward to iOS 4, but I'm prepared to wait until 21st July for apps to be launched completely iOS 4 ready.

3. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

You can download and install the iOS4 Gold Master now. The file people are downloading and installing is what people will update to on June 21st anyway. It is, in no way, a hack.

To the OP, if you search for "GM is out" you should find a thread in the Wasteland section from the night the GM went live and we were all downloading and installing it ... I thoroughly enjoyed that the other night, I have to admit ... yes, I am a sad git, but there was a bit of a buzz on the forum during the will it/won't it antics. Superb stuff!

Anyway ...

If people have scruples over downloading and using it, then that's obviously your decision and no-one can say or do anything to change your mind.

The only thing that people considering using the GM need to remember is:

1. You need to have iTunes 9.2 beta installed. By the way, this is a brilliant iTunes release. Scrolling is SO much faster. When using grid view and scrolling it would be juddery as it loaded album art, but it's lightning quick now.

2. You must ensure you download the correct version of the iOS4 GM for your specific device.

3. This is for Mac users only since there is no iTunes 9.2 beta for Windows.

4. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

The GM *is* what will be released on the 21st! Same as last year....if you upgrade now, on the 21st when you check for an update, it will tell you there isn't one!

If you need to JB it, then wait a week or 2....there is JB out now but is far too much bother for most users to care about!

5. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i've just downloaded this, but i'm not sure now if i should actually install it. i'd want to JB it once it's on but just want to know if it's possible to downgrade to 3.1.3. if it all goes tits up before i jump head first into it.

EDIT: nevermind, i went for it lol

6. molder macrumors newbie

How is it?!? Does it work ok?

7. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

There are steps to revert on Maclife, I think it was, if you try out iOS4 and want to go back. Keep in mind though if you have a 3GS it will install the 5.13.04 baseband.

8. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

So this is the release version, and this is not a hack, and we can't get in any "trouble" plus this is relatively easy to install?

So no downsides?

9. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i managed to get it done, took 3 attempts. the first time it didn't even get to actually restoring it before iTunes threw up an error. being persistent i just tried again and got success this time, except when it came to activating it through iTunes it would time out. i then put it into DFU mode and tried again and this time it worked :D

I've got to say i was initially over the moon with it, but now that i've had a couple hours to play around with it i find myself want/needing the jailbreak more and more. personally i think they did a rubbish job with folders, i'm reserving my judgement of multitasking until some apps not made by Apple have been updated.

EDIT: the actual release date is 21st June yeah? if it is i can probably soldier on with OS4 as the JB should be out not much later, i'm tempted to have a go at the redsn0w one but i think i read that you have to be a developer, anyone confirm this for me?

10. atr macrumors regular

It took me about a half hour to download both iTunes 9.2 beta and iOS4 GM, but only took me one shot and about 10 minutes to install, no problems encountered. Works great on my 3Gs. I like the folders. All in all, I really like this OS (of course that is based on only about an hour and a half of use). I set up as new instead of using a backup, figured I would give it a test run from a clean slate.

11. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

where do i find the ios4 GM for 3G???!!! looking everywhere!

12. fs454 macrumors 68000

I always go for the GMs and hack my phone to oblivion, but this time Steve seemed to call it "iOS 4 Gold Master Candidate" instead of just a pure GM(as in, help us make sure we have no showstopping bugs!). Last time around, the OS 3 GM was the exact shipping firmware that they put up for the public later on, but this one seems a bit different. Broken Game Center isn't in there still right?

Or am I wrong?

13. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

I want to install it...but with the phone out soon theres no need doing it and re jailbreaking and reinstalling everything for a 2 week period.

14. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

I was in the same situation but knowing that the OS 4 that is out today is going to be the exact same on release day, why wait?

I was debating it since I was so happy with my jailbroke 3GS.

Not sure I am totally happy with the upgrade.

Plenty of the new features feel like they should have been in the last OS (wallpaper, unified mailbox, digital zoom, etc.)

Apps that I wanted a full version upgrade of, like "ipod" are almost exactly the same as the original 3G.
    How about crossfading, live lyrics, etc?

Multitasking doesn't work unless an app supports it I guess because none that I tried actually work but I'll wait and see on that.

The folder feature is very nice.
    I'm scratching my head to find the other 90+ features they promised.

15. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

I've restored my 3GS to he 4.0 GM twice no -- worked perfectly both times. I first downloaded a custom ipsw that was fine, but had a crappy custom boo logo. Second, I created an ipsw using a hacked version of pwnage tool that I downloaded somewhere (the app is called PwnageTool 4.0 GM 3GS).

The only JB app I really need is lockinfo and it works ok on 4.0. So I'm happy with it. Folders are great, multitasking is great. Single mailbox for all accounts is pretty useful. Multiple exchnage accounts meant I didn't have to use multiexchange in Cydia.

16. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott

same here...dont u need WB too be working though? is it ok on 4?

and does iphone explorer work?

17. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

So everything worked fine on my install except now my data connection doesn't work. I still have the 3G symbol in my status bar but I cannot connect to anything. Phone calls and text still work. No data. Any thoughts on what I might have done wrong?

18. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

WB not needed for lockinfo anymore. Not sure about iPhone explorer, but DiskAid 4.0 works fine once you install afc2add.

19. Martinsalas310 macrumors regular

ive downloaded itunes 9.2 beta for my mac and ddnt have a problem downloading or installing..but im trying to download ios4 but as im downloading it the download speeds start to slow down till it stops downloading..wats causing this?

20. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

Not sure why it would be slowing down. That's was never a problem for me, but after several restores of mine trying to get my data connection back, I left it alone for several hours thinking of giving up, but now it finally works. I'm thinking AT&T might have had a dump for a bit just as I was testing it out this morning. It all works beautifully now.

21. Martinsalas310 macrumors regular

ok i have itunes 9.2 is installed and working perfect. I have 4.0 installed on my iphone and working good. i have a 3gs not quiet sure which bootrom i have but now lies the question how do i jailbreak it? i want mivitones and bitesms? plz need help ive been trying to figure it out for hours now:confused::apple::confused::eek::(:(

22. alansaysstop macrumors regular

Got both itunes beta and 4.0 GM tuesday night, i feel like its a lot snappier then 3.1.3 on my 3GS. Can't wait for my iphone 4 though! Backrounding with pandora doesnt work quite yet, but I'm sure it's because iOS 4.0 has offically launched or Pandora needs to be updated.

23. anthdci macrumors 6502

I find iOS4 to be really fast, much quicker than 3.1.3.

But please be aware multitasking does not fully work yet and will not work until your apps have been updated to do so. The only apps that do are the built in ones.

24. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

Worked for me. I have a 16GB white 3GS. iOS 4 is great. Folders and multitasking is very welcome addition.

I'm not sure if i saw this on 3.1.3 but i noticed a setting this morning which deletes all the data on the iPhone if you enter the passcode lock incorrectly 10 times. Very cool. I would suspect it just deletes the key in the case of the 3GS rather than actually deleting the encrypted data though.

25. geko29 macrumors 6502

I believe that was added in 2.0, when they added Exchange support, because it's required by many ActiveSync security policies. And you're correct about it's operation. A local (too many bad passcodes) or remote (exchange/mobileme initiated) wipe takes about an hour per 8GB on the 2G and 3G models, but only 5 seconds on the 3GS (regardless of capacity). So a wipe on the old phones is really a bit-by-bit wipe, whereas on the 3GS and newer, it simply erases the encryption key, and probably does a quick format of the data partition just to keep everything tidy.