Get iPhone 3G now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghanwani, Jan 7, 2009.

1. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I'm debating whether or not to get the iPhone 3G now. I've convinced myself I'm willing to live with the battery issue (drains quickly, not accessible) and with the fact the phone is locked to AT&T and becomes a piece of junk if you decide to leave AT&T (because it can't be used on a different carrier).

Anyway, my concern about dropped calls still remains. I could live with that but the last thing that I want to happen is that I buy the phone and a couple of months later there is a product refresh that eliminates the problem with dropped calls.

So, how likely is it that Apple will refresh the iPhone 3G within the next couple of months? I read some website that listed the current stage of the design cycle of various Apple products and that page said to not buy the phone now as it is due for refresh.

Anyone have any knowledge about when a refresh may happen?

Thanks,
    Anoop

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That... would be our website.

Update in June. Buy now.

3. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

The dropped call issue mostly I think has to do with the firmware, I guess if they update the iPhone with no more dropped calls, the firmware will be going for us iPhone 3G users too. Update in June so if you're hoping for some hardware updates, you should just wait.

4. Poat84 macrumors 6502

Poat84

Ya get one. My friend JB his and he uses his phone a lot and his battery life has no dramatic changes. He says it has about 15-20 minutes less of life.

5. svndmvn Guest

No dropped calls in Europe,I say buy now! It's probably AT&T's problem as well. Check out the thread with iPhone users w/ T-Mobile, see if they're having issues, though I know there's no 3G band compatibility or something.

6. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

Buy now but buy the 8G model. I have an 80 gig ipod classic so I felt no need to buy the 16G or even wait for the 32G when I still have plenty of room on my ipod classic. I use my iphone as primarily a phone, pda, gps, web and mail utility and my ipod is for music and videos.

No problems with AT&T. Like they said they do have the biggest network with more bars in more places. I think Apple made a smart move by linking only with AT&T.

In regards to the battery issue just charge it every day or every 36 or 48 hours and you'll have no problems.

7. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Consider this...

I've been on contract with T-Mobile since the first iphone was released back in June 2007.

I've become somewhat of an enthusiast of a follower of all things iphone since that launch. (an iphone wannabe fanboy if you wish)

I have patiently waited for nearly 2 years now and my T-Mobile contract is now over. So I am free of any contract as of now but have yet to make the switch to AT&T and the iphone.

I currently have $175.00 in apple gift cards.

The way I see it.

I have a LOT of music on my 4th gen 40gb ipod along with many podcast and audiobooks, nearly 20gb full to be more precise. (yes for me that's alot of music)

I have a Cell phone with T-Mobile service that works just fine for right now.

I, along with many others, was hoping for a 32gb upgrade at MW to go ahead and take the plunge. Nothing of the sort was announced. :rolleyes:

Many believe the next revision for the iphone, be it capacity upgrade, entirely new model or maybe just different colors, will be upon us this summer. WWDC '09 is what I'm assuming to be what they are referring to.

WWDC was in June of '08 correct? So, I can only assume it will be coming up this June 2009.

So, I may be able to aid in your decision a bit...here goes...(from today's date)

Feburary 1st = 25 days away
    March 1st = 53 days away
    April 1st = 84 days away
    May 1st = 114 days away
    June 1st = 145 days away
    July 1st = 175 days away
    August 1st = 206 days away

If we go by events that occurred last year then you quite possibly could see a capacity upgrade in a little over than 25 days away. And you may see a new model or "something" (or nothing) happen to the iphone in let's say 150 days to even things out a bit.

Ask yourself, are you going to wait that many days or are you going to buy the current iphone selling now and be happy?

I must admit, it has been a very exciting journey watching things evolve over the past 2 years and at times a little frustrating and depressing.

As for now, I journey on...I'm waiting.

I've wanted an iphone for a VERY long time and have been patient with myself and BY THIS SUMMER a iphone will be in my possesion. MARK MY WORDS!!! PLACE YOUR BETS!!! Whatever you feel you need to do, it's happening.

The main thing for me is the capacity bump so if a 32 gigger comes out next month that may just be the one for me. But I've waited this long so 4 more months to see what happens at WWDC isn't jack squat.

Thanks.

:cool:

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Buy or not to buy? I would buy, and not tell anyone that I bought, that way if something is released 30 days later, you would be the only one knowing otherwise...:eek:

9. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am in exactly your situation. Have been eyeing the iphone (iing the eyephone?) since its launch. I was stuck in my t-mobile contract and am free now as of Oct 2008. Initially, I figured it made sense to wait for 3G, but since the 3G version was launched, the wait has been much harder.

I think I might just buy it. If something new shows up within 30 days (or even announced), I can always return this one and wait for that. Otherwise, I might have to go up to 700 days with an older version of the phone, or pay through my nose to upgraded after up to 335 days. :)

10. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

BTW, I was going to get it in Dec, but waited because of Mac World and all the rumors around introduction of a new model.

I don't care for size, 8 GB is too much for me. I don't even have itunes on my machine...in other words, not a single song.

For me, the biggies are GPS, Internet, email, all in package that is better than any other phone on the market by a long margin.

I looked at the G1 from T-mobile. It's cheaper to buy and the service is cheaper as well, but the device is so clunky. I feel I should buy Apple just because they invented the coolest phone. If it were not for Apple, the only choices we'd have even now would ugly flip phones and qwerty blackberrys with horrid user interfaces and aesthetics.

The iphone has literally forced/shaken up other phone manufacturers from their complacence.

Anoop

11. Theaser macrumors 6502

Theaser

It amazes me that you don't have music on your computer. But every person is different. I do not feel that you need a smartphone and simply wasting at least 2000 bucks in total with the contracts. Get something that would fit you is my best advice, iPhone is definitely NOT for you. :(

12. ghanwani thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you have any suggestions/recommendations?? I've looked at a lot of other phones and played with them. Nothing appeals like the iphone. Basically with the iphone the total premium over other smartphones is about $200-300. That's not too bad over 2 years for something that has as great a UI.

13. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I would wait till February comes and goes. Last year, the 16GB iPhone went on sale the first week of February. If the 8GB or 16GB is ok, buy now.

14. deadsouls macrumors regular

well first of all you're going to have to install itunes then since you can't even use your phone without it.

secondly, stop being a brainwashed follower and realize that the 'amazing iphone UI' is nothing but a bunch of icons illogically sitting next to each other and spanning multiple pages. it is both inefficient and silly to have to scroll across up to 9 pages just to get to an app icon. simple? yes. great UI? NO.

and i hope you're joking about buying the iphone for GPS. EVERY OTHER MAJOR SMARTPHONE has a regular gps program (i'm talking about one that you would use in a car like a garmin that reroutes, gives turn by turn instructions, has voice, etc). the iphone currently DOES NOT and i don't see one coming soon at all.

internet browsing? yes mobile safari renders pages quite well. too bad it crashes all of the time so good luck with that.

email? uhhhh blackberries do email way better than the iphone. do you even know what you're talking about?

and you don't even listen to music apparently. so why would you get an iphone which is mainly touted for its media playback ability?

either way you just sound like another apple sheep follower so im sure nothing i will say will deter you anyway. so, go buy your iphone and feel cool about it.

15. Indy21 macrumors 6502

To the OP, if capacity isn't your concern then what's holding you back?

I'd go ahead and buy now or else you'll probably be waiting that 100+ days before, if any, new model is announced.

Sounds like there is some other reason you're waiting that you're not wanting to tell us.

Of course its none of our business but sounds to me that now is as best a time to buy one in your case.

Install itunes, download yourself a few dozen songs, a movie or two and sync that shiny new iphone up and enjoy!

:D

16. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Incidentally, the iPhone 3G can be unlocked to use different carriers (google yellowsn0w or look in the hacks subforum for more info)

17. garybUK Guest

garybUK

If you're buying the iPhone for a PHONE then i'd wait (personally) it has massive holes as a PHONE (Bluetooth, MMS, Copy/Paste....blah blah blah already been covered to death!)

if you're buying it for multimedia i'd say it has the best media player of any phone especially now they have the iTunes 3G store (does the iPhone has HSDPA?)

It has positives and negatives.

Of course the holes in the phone might not bother you as it does with other people.

As for the people (yes...i'm looking at you 'IndyJonez').... who get frustrated/depressed .... take a breath, step back, and get out more! lol

I believe the iPhone is just a evolution of Mobile Phones and has just shaken the other manufacturers up in the fact they aren't churning out the same phones as they were, it's not exactly ground breaking.

18. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

Buy now and start enjoying it.....you know you are looking over the shoulder of people that have Iphones now....

19. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Ok ok, maybe not 'depressed', wrong choice of words on my behalf. I'm standing by 'frustrating' though, k? :D

20. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Stop throwing blanket statements about the iPhone like it is facts. Mobile Safari is the best mobile web browser out there. Period. There is nothing that is even remotely close.

Crashes all the time? not for me.

21. Indy21 macrumors 6502

Agreed! :)

22. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Really, if you stand on the fence waiting for something to come out that is right around the corner you will never have anything to play with. Go get one. If you don't have music, movies, podcasts etc to watch on it, get the 8 gig version and be happy!

If a newer version comes out, chances are it will be an increase in storage size which won't affect you a bit so it is not a bid deal anyway. So far all of the software upgrades have been backword compatable and I don't for see apple putting out software that is going to make their one year old phone obsolete.

23. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

If I were you I would wait. Rumor has it that another iphone is around the corner. Not that Iphone Nano bull, something better---THE IPHONE SHUFFLE. Small and compact and includes shuffle call technology, just shake and it will call a random contact.:)

24. KBV1 macrumors regular

KBV1

OP - im in the same situation LOL

Is there a new iPhone on the way? Like iPhone to iPhone 3g leap or just a memory updrade? I'm not bothered about the size going up, 16gb is plenty for me. IF MMS and video ever come into play with the iPhone will this be done by FW or an actual new iPhone?

25. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

Just get the phone now. if there are updates coming up, you'll benefit from them. i really doubt there will be new hardware for long while.

i have not had any significant problems with dropped calls, and i'm on AT&T in Chicago.